Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Con - Regassing

xomegaman

The air con on my 13 months old T4 with 12k on the clock was working fine Saturday night when parked up. Monday morning it struggled to lower the temperature with the air con on. Ring the dealer and he looks at it that afternoon and says"no leaks just needs regassing". I says "fine - get on with it" to be then told that its costing me £47 for the privledge as regassing is not covered by the warranty! :arrgg-matey:

I pay as I needed it doing and then ring Toyota. No its not covered by the warranty but they decline to say what would have happened if the regass was needed at month 2 or 6 etc. I've whinged big time and they are talking to the dealer over this - more to follow.

The dealer did say that they have filled the system totally with refrigerant this time and I do remember a Vauxhall dealer once telling me that they only ship cars from the factory wth the minumum of refrigerant needed to get the system to run for a few months.

Basically then if the air con needs regassing from day one the punter pays. Anyone had experience of early regass needed as all the cars I have had have gone at least 2 to 3 years before a regass needed. Is this another way to add "value" to a sale or a lottery as to how long it runs for before needing a regass?

Stevie.

Sounds like a load of nonsense to be honest.

Air-con gas isn't consumed, it does not get used up the more you use it.

The gas in the sytem only get's depleted due to slight leaks or failure of the compressor. That's why as a rule they say you lost about 15% a year as the system is not 100% air-tight due to the tubes connecting everything together.

My Avensis and my dad's LS400 is still on it's original gas after 6 years, our 2 year old Corsa is still fine, and my old Primera I had gassed after 7 years even though it still worked to an extent.

I too have a year old avensis. recently was travelling down to somerset when I noticed a white mist coming out of the central vent near the driver. All the others seemed fine. Not sure what this signified, as the a/c still seem to be working.

Also noticed on a long drive on a hot day (30C) that the a/c stopped working after a couple of hours, just pumped out luke warm air. After a stop it seemed to work fine. Anyone else notcied this?

Never add either problem with my old VW Passat, so I'm a bit suspect of it.

Just as an update I complained to the Toyota Call Centre about the need to have the T4 regassed at 13 months. They rang back 4 days later with the reply:

1. we've talked to the dealer who says no leaks on the system.

therefore not under warranty.

2. we don't pay for regassing under warranty at any age of the car.

3. even if the car was 2 months old you would have to pay.

4. write in if you want but it won't change the end result - you pay.

When asked if this will this affect my future purchases of Toyota - answer was yes, their reply - well that's your choice.

An experience that's just dented my confidence in the brand name. To be honest the dealer was brilliant, apologised profusely and reduced the price to £40 + vat but its still a cost.

One disgruntled T4 owner now and they have you over a barrel! :ffs:

the more its used the less it lasts , dont matter if its only 13 months old.and for 40 quid plus vat , its a little price to winge about , seeing as owning a toyota is a wallet ride anyhow. :lol::lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links