Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Installation Of Replacement Cd Tuner

meggsc

I have a 95 Carina-E Executive with a duff CD player. I want to put a Sony CDX-L400x CD/tuner/amplifier in as a replacement, and I'd also like to keep the factory fitted tape/radio/amplifier. The tuner has a pre-out for rear Speakers, so I thought I could use these as the unamplified inputs into the tape/radio/amplifier, and fit some parcel shelf Speakers to give the CD Tuner something to drive. Does this sound feasible, or is there a more elegant way of doing this?

Thanks

:wacko:

you want to put the tuner pre amps into the back of the stockhead unit ? does it even have an 'input' for a pre amp source ????

some amplifiers have throughput so you can daisy chain stuff together, and some head units have input for external sat nav and dvd/tv but never heard of a head unit with a pre-amp reciever ?

at worst you could mount the new cd under the seat and and splice the wires in at the amp but it would be a bit nasty...... why not remove the stock one and keep it safe and use the new one ?

I'm assuming that the factory fitted CD player had a pre-amplified output. If I connect the pre-amp out to the same inputs on the tape/radio/amplifier, that should work. If I add another pair of Speakers, this will give the cd tuners amplifier something to do. So I should in theory end up with the original Speakers driven by the tape/radio/amplifier, and the CD, when in operation, driving an additional pair of Speakers.

Another thought, is how the tape/radio/amplifier detects the presence of the stock CD player. Is it purely by current drawn as it come on?

I know this is a bit chew but it would be nice to have a working tape deck in the car to cater for old fogies like me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links