Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Colour Callipers.....

TheNissanMan

Time has now definately come to paint the calipers, I've kept saying I'll do it and kept putting it of, namely as I don't know what the hell I'm doing.....

After helping Scot remove his calipers on the weekend I now have the confidence I need to do the job :)

But !!! What colour calipers, after reading the LOC site and a few other mentions I'm going to be using Hammerite Smooth and Laquer and place the Toyota Caliper Stickers on the car but am not 100% sure which colour to go for, the obvious one would be dark red to match the car but my concern is with it being a different red would it clash ???

Anybody bright sparks with good taste have any idea's as I would like it to match both the red of the bodywork and the red anodised rim of the alloy, pictured below...

Thanks in advance for any help :D

DSC01610.JPG

Oh, sorry for the large image size !!

I don't think you're sorry at all! :P

matching it would look best but I have no idea how you'd go about doing that

Only problem with black callipers is that I am pretty sure I got black calliper stickers from Steve !!!

Would sort of ruin the effect of having Black Toyota Calliper stickers on Black Callipers :rolleyes: although will double check what colour they are this evening.

Now just have to find the hammerite smooth, thought Wickes would do it over the road but they only have the general hammerite stuff, not the smooth.......

:rolleyes: If you ask him nicely he might send you the silver stickers then black calipers would be ok.

I used hammerite high heat paint which i got from Halfords,can't quite remember how much i paid for it but don't think it was more than a fiver.

I'm just putting them on one side to show steve what they look like but they won't fit on the avensis very well due to the calipers been a odd shape.I'll then be putting the other stickers on when the big brake conversion is done.

Hi rhaine Well i have got my calipers painted in red. I think that they look nice like that. I dont think that black wouldn't be good as you wouldn't see them hardly. Your choice mate :wacko:

Here my pic of calipers

jerry!!

post-18-1050441228.jpg

I was thinking of having mine painted Blue. My Yaris T Sport is metalic Black. My husband says to paint them red.

What do you think?

Kaz

Hi kaz My wifes Yaris T Sport is in black as well. I have painted her brake calipers red as well check them out. Sorry i haven't got a more closer shot ;)

jerry!!

post-18-1050442972.jpg

What about pink.........

sell ur mr2 and get a Z3

BMW you crazy, is my driving really that bad I deserve being put under a BMW Badge, I would never have a BMW....

As for hairdressers car now that would suit the Z3 down to the ground, don't think I come under the same Badge as that....

Jerry, looks like you've been busy, callipers looking good :)

Removing them, don't know yet :)

Removed a friends on a '73 Celica over the weekend which involved removing 4 pins, a screwdriver and hammer and a little ffort to pull them off, nothing to it on the Celica now just have to wait and see what its like on the MR2, I will post with picccies on with steps to painting the callipers :)

Ryan

Have decideed on colour....

It will be.....

GOLD :P

Shouldtie in nicely with the gold Badge when I get the red paint off it, and the gold wire mesh on the colour coded engine scoop when it arrives.

Photo's will be posted over the weekend.

Hi everyone As for painting them i just took the wheels off one by one and just started painting them. Once you have done the front of them you just turn the steering and you can paint the rear of them.

So you dont have to take them off to do the job. Well you can if you really want too.

Cheer rhaines I will give them a touch up on the weekend as the cars will be both lowered then ;) Also it's good to buy some silver paint and paint around the wheel hub as well You know where the four bolts come out off!!! As they can get corroded as well. I have done both cars like that.

jerry!!

Changed my mind and went for red, did the drivers side last night....

Clarksey, found it easier to not take the callipers off (couldn't figure out how to get them off is the truth :D ).

Jacked the car up, put a support under the car and painted them in situ... I took a ton of photo's am sorting them out now and will post them asap.

I'll be doing mine when I get some spare time looking forward to seeing your pics Ryan,

(I'll just let you do all the hard work! :P )

Ok, photo's as promised, didn't have time to shrink them so they're a bit big :P

Starting with this....

blank_caliper.JPG

or this....

blank_caliper2.JPG

I spent a some time with a a little pint brush to get to this....

in_progress.JPG

or this...

in_progress2.JPG

Until I get some laquer this will have to do....

finished_for_now.JPG

And with the wheel on...

with_wheel.JPG

That's just the front :rolleyes: If you wanna see the back the photo's can be found here

Not being funny Ryan but I think you've just taken £100 off the value of your car. :unsure:

Proper jobs are the best. Anodise them. Or chrome plate them. ;)

I am always suspicious of what someone is trying to hide when I see that kind of thing (when it hasn't got a Brembo sticker on that is).

Sand blast them back and paint them black or something. Hide them. It's the big shiney grooved and cross drilled disc we all want to see. Not the Brake caliper (unless they are 6 or more pots as in the GT3 kit).

My opinions are my own and in no way should they be confused with truth or reality. The views above are subject to change on a daily basis (depends on the pink pills). :blink:

Sweet ride Ryan! B) B) I love your wheels-what are they and where can i get some!!!???

Nice job, altho taking the calipers off is only option really IMO. Are they the 258mm brakes on your mr2?? They look just like my mk1's front calipers.... I am awaiting some confermation as to whether mk2 calipers fit the mk1, then upgrade to the 275mm brakes of later mk2's. Well, after i find someone to machine the discs to 4 stud...

I need to paint my calipers now i have wheels that allows the calipers to be seen. For now i will just paint them. Later on will have them powder coated. Have some Halfords high temp red next to me, not sure whether to use that or get some hammerite. Would like yellow, but as my mr2 is red, its gonna go red. :)

Thanks Harvey...

I am not sure what size brakes are on the rev1 Mk2 MR2 although eventually I would love to upgrade them, one day when money allows....

I am not that technical so could not figure out how to get the Calipers off although I agree totally about getting them off to do the best job.

It was pretty goin with them on, just being careful not to get the paint on any parts that looked as if they could move.

Yeah, well i was going to paint mine today with them on the car. Until i realised ive left my locking wheel nut key at the tyre place. Doh. Pray i dont get a puncture. Took a look at my calipers today, they are not same as yours, they are smaller.

What is your 1989 mr2 like then? Does that run, or an ongoing project? MR2's certainly know how to take a constrant stream from your wallet! But we still love them all the same. haha

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links