Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hiace 2.8td Super Custom

horology66

I have looked at buying a Hiace super custom. One I have seen is described as a 2.8td.

I have been told that toyota did a 2.8 but not a turbo. Can anyone help?

If it is not a turbo is the 2.8 a good engine? Does it have any particular problems?

Any help much appreciated. :bye:

Thats right...the 2.8 does not have a turbo.....if the seller believes it does then I would be suss of everything else they tell you....unless of course its retro fitted....

I have a 2.8 4wd.......0-60mph around 22+secs with an empty tank...top speed 90mph if the wind is behind you..more realistically 87.....acceleration from 50 mph a bit slow, though OK upto 50.....I believe these engines are fairly tough...cast iron units....as with any old vehicle a thorough FULL service (including cooling) will be required, but once its sorted should be dependable......mpg...well the best I got was 26mpg on a run...worst around 18.5mpg...the auto box sucks a bit....pretty torquey though.....there are more and more about these days..check auto trader website.....try and get one with no bits missing......depreciation may be an issue if you want a quick sale in the future.....personally I would (and will in the future) go for one of the 3ltr turbos

There is a hiace supercustom forum if you do a quick search.....

Hi, thanks for the info. The one I have seen is apparantly fully loaded. It has a hot box, cold box, makes ice cubes and has its own kettle. Do you know if these items are exceptional?

Yes...mine does not have these (I carry portable equipment if I need it)...pretty common spec though...some also have electric seats..steering reach etc.....analogue or digital dash...electric or manual curtains etc. etc....the top of the range is the supercustom limited........one thing to consider is the vehicles age...the more gizmos on board..the more to go wrong...but if you like the vehicle and everything is intact and complete then why not.....do check out the links on the hiace supercustom site though......easy to buy one of these vehicles after being seduced by the appearance and goodies on board....the 4wd is handy but there is not the ground clearance to do serious off roading due to the front beam....let your head in on the decision..check a few out...there are also the 2.4 turbos

• 6 months later...
I have looked at buying a Hiace super custom. One I have seen is described as a 2.8td.

I have been told that toyota did a 2.8 but not a turbo. Can anyone help?

If it is not a turbo is the 2.8 a good engine? Does it have any particular problems?

Any help much appreciated.  :bye:

Hi just taken delivery of a 2.8diesel...yesterday! in love so far...early days, will let you know..roma

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links