Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4x4 Won't Select

HILUXURY

:crybaby: I have a 91 hilux surf, 2.4td auto, when I press the 4x4 button the green light comes on for 1 second then goes out and the rear wheels spin when I floor it so 4x4 is not selected, hi and low ratio is still fine, is there an easy soloution to this, I hear a relay or something going off and on when the button is pressed but definatly have not got 4wd, was wondering if anybody had a diagram of what happens when the 4x4 button is pressed, is it a solanoid that selects the 4x4? I'm desperate to get it sorted as it's embarassing getting stuck in a hilux!! I'd really appretiate some help, please email richiesmusic@hotmail.com :thumbsup:

Thanks very much

Richie,

Hi rich The 1st to do is get under there where the shift mechanism is and decide if it is vacuum or electrically activated.One will have hoses in/out the other will have wiring.

Get someone to push the button on/off and see if you can hear anything underneath.Check for loose wiring.

If it has a vacuum system it is fairly easy to trace the hoses and see how it all works.

Im a little out of my depth on hiluxs but it maybe possible to remove the device that shifts in/out of 4x4 and watch it operate with the wires/hoses still connected.

My 73 series landcruiser has the vacuum solenoids and when they fail to work its usually just a matter of switching the hoses over so that "4x4 on' becomes 4x4off and vice versa.

The workshop manuals have pics and trouble shooters on this topic and usually save you cost the 1st or 2nd time you use them. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links