Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Recommendation

tunix

Hi Guys,

I've been driving Corolla TS for a couple of months, but due to repetitive serious clutch related problems I decided to change the car. I'd like to give Toyota one more chance, I believe my car was just "an accident", thus I'd like to get either new Corolla TS or Celica TS.

Because I've never driven a Celica before, I'd like to ask you guys a couple of simple questions. I'd really appreciate if you save me from searching the net :)

1. Where do they make Celica - is it UK or Japan?

2. What is the build quality in your opinion - any rattles from the dash?

3. I've read somewhere that in Celica 2zz-ge the rev limiter is set to 8400 instead of Corolla 8200. Is that true?

4. Any idea if Celica clutch differs from that in Corolla TS?

5. Anyone experienced any serious mechanical problems with Celica TS? Any clutch problems?

6. Is the main gear ratio (not sure if this is the correct word) the same as in Corolla? Do you hit 60 mph at 2nd or 3rd gear? I assume the gearbox is the same.

7. What is the sound quality of the stereo system - is it better that Corolla? Do you know if the head unit comes equipped with RCA connectors?

Thanks in advance for any info :)

Best,

tx

1. Celica is built in Japan.

2. Build quality is quite good I think, although Toyota have clearly cut a lot of corners since the previous Celica (to keep the price down) - such as no lights in the doors, shared passenger & driver window switches etc.

3. Not sure, but I'd guess they'd be the same.

4. Again, I'd guess the clutch is the same.

5. I had a 2001 Celica 140 a while back, in the 2 years I had it around 10 - 15 times it didn't start first time, but fine on 2nd key turn! The rear hatch needed fixing at it wouldn't stay up, which is a common problem I'm told.

6. Not sure on gear ratios, possibly the same, the figures aren't in the Corolla brochure I have. Yes, I believe the gearbox is the same. Think the Celica hit's 65-70mph in 2nd, the 140 Celica hits around 57-60mph.

7. Sound quality is reasonable - probably the same as the Corolla I'd have thought. Not sure about the RCAs but the pre-facelift model would have as it had a Sony double DIN unit in there.

im a 7th gen owner and i swear by mine too! ive got a 140 so cant answer most of your q's but i know there is no rattling in the dash, the head unit is a sony double din unit with front and rear rca outputs! im only 20 and had 3 cars but ive never ever been dissapointed in my car! would recamend to anyone!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links