Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaking Steering Wheel

valentinc

Just noticed last week a squeaking noise when rotating the steering wheel while the engine was on. It sounded like some kind of friction of metal on rubber. Strange enough the noise is not heard all the time. It did not happen for the last two days. Has anyone experienced that?

As for the so much emphasis they put on the quality checks at Toyota, it is really questionable. A lot of advertising boards in Bucharest carry the picture of the Avensis under the "quality speaks for itself" sentence. I must say I previously had a more modest DaeWoo Nexia, assembled in Romania, but never had any of the "little problems" I had with my Avensis, which cost me double. Head lamps had to be re-aligned from the beginning, the horn failed to work within two days from buying the car, the resetting of the fuel computer, now the steering wheel noise. Can we get Derby County to win the Premiership to make these guys at Burnaston happy?

Thank you for the link. Looks like greasing is the problem, so I will go to the dealer the next time it happens. He should do it for free as I'm under warranty.

Cheers.

When I had a very similar problem my main dealer replaced the steering column under warranty , quite a common problem I was told .

Spoke to them like I knew what I was talking about [ which i didn't ] and they replaced it under warranty .

mine squeaked as well and they greased it. that was about 2 months ago and now it is back. they reckon they need to change the steering rack and the problem is a warranty 'known about item'.

Mine does have the steering problem, just not got round to doing the job. But it passed MOT early this year with it so it's not really a problem. I should get round to doing it!!

Well, no success with my dealer in Bucharest. Went there, they took out the steering column checked it and could not say where the noise was coming from. For good measure they greased it. On the way back home from the car service, the noise came back.

I will tell them they have to change it as it is a common problem, like you say. They reckoned there were some problems but with the petrol engine Avensis, which has a different steering column. Ayyway, the dealer was amazed to hear that this website exist and I am learning a lot from this forum.

Hi all

After having the same problem i was told its known on the d4d only, but they replaced the rack after several visits to the dealer, one week later the same noise is back and the car doesn’t like to go in a straight line now. I have wrote to toyota about this and still have had no luck. if you ask me we should all get together and complain to trading standards as Toyota seem to be avoiding this issue.

Hello,

I had same problem with 2001 Avensis. They greased a few times and finally replaced the steering system. It fixed the problem but it seems to be coming back about 2 years later ! - will keep you posted.

By the way, I can only agree with your comment about the little bugs in the Avensis. I am envious of my friends who bought "lower quality" cars and now dont have to make monthly pilgramages back to the dealership.

I was scheduled for Thursday for another check on the squeaking steering column. Unless they can find the cause, I will insist for it to be replaced. Will keep you posted on the result.

Nezerr, could you, please let us know where to complain about Toyota's failures?

Thanks a lot. I noted down the telephone number.

Looks like this is the first time they encountered the problem on the new Avensis and will write a report to Toyota manufacturing asking for possible suggestions. Meanwhile they will try to replace the column within the next few days.

Thanks a lot. I noted down the telephone number.

Looks like this is the first time they encountered the problem on the new Avensis and will write a report to Toyota manufacturing asking for possible suggestions. Meanwhile they will try to replace the column within the next few days.

good luck :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Just noticed last week a squeaking noise when rotating the steering wheel while the engine was on. It sounded like some kind of friction of metal on rubber. Strange enough the noise is not heard all the time. It did not happen for the last two days. Has anyone experienced that?

As for the so much emphasis they put on the quality checks at Toyota, it is really questionable. A lot of advertising boards in Bucharest carry the picture of the Avensis under the "quality speaks for itself" sentence. I must say I previously had a more modest DaeWoo Nexia, assembled in Romania, but never had any of the "little problems" I had with my Avensis, which cost me double. Head lamps had to be re-aligned from the beginning, the horn failed to work within two days from buying the car, the resetting of the fuel computer, now the steering wheel noise. Can we get Derby County to win the Premiership to make these guys at Burnaston happy?

:thumbsup:

yeah i get that now and then,particularly when reversing uphill. will contact my toyota dealer straight away

cheers for the advise

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links