Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Transponder Keys

allen_ja

Ever tried to get a replacement key ? The amount of money my local toyota garage wants amounts to nothing less than extorsion in my opinion.

Any idea where I can source a blank key and how to get it programmed (I understand there is a sequence involving depressing the accelerating and brake pedals)

I do have 1 key to get it cut from.

thanks, John

Hi,

I had the same problem as you....you can only get the key from Toyota as they order it from Toyota in Japan by reading you Cars VIN Number, they read the vin number because they cut the key according to you vin number(wierd i know)...my Toyota dealer was charging me £160 for the key, and as you can only get the key from them i said yes and they wanted the money for the key the same day, i did not have £160 on me nor did i have my credit cards, so i asked the salesman if i could leave a £60 deposit(thats what i had on me) so he said yes...and on the form he had to fill in, on the money section he wrote"PAID"....so when i went in a week later to get the key programed i did not have to pay the extra £100 i was ment to!!....so i got away with paying the full price....COULD NOT BELEVE MY LUCK!!

£160 is outrageous, when I bought a replacement for my 97 Primera it was only £36 from Nissan.

Transponder key for my g/f's V*auxh*ll was £90.00 plus vat. :-(

If you lose a key worth £160.00 I bet it's worth claiming from your household contents insurance.

I had to get a key for mine from my local Toyota dealer as I was only supplied with one key by the garage I bought it from and yes, it cost me £160.28! Fortunately, the garage where I purchased the car agreed to go halves on the cost but it was still mighty expensive. :censor:

the bit that got me angry was the Labour charge!!!.......All they have to do is stick the key into the computer and program it, and then stick the key in the car to see if it work!!!....why the hell do they have to charge the stupid labour charge for that??

A friend with his Mondeo has been quoted £100 for a new 'red' key (master key) from which he can then have another remote locking key for his car. The actual keys are £17 each! Even this is cheaper than what Toyota want.

Has anyone tried sourcing a blank key from abroad (eBay?) and then getting it cut/programmed. I know that some UK locksmiths can do that part (£60+vat) but they have to buy blank keys from Toyota @£127 each.

Are the keys model specific, or would a blank for another modern toyota eg Landcruiser work?

£160 is a hell of a lot of money for a key but I ended up paying it as the consequences of losing or breaking the only existing key would be extremely expensive! The Toyota garage informed me that if I were to lose the only master key that I had then I would be looking at a bill of £1800 minimum (new ECU, immobiliser etc etc)! :crybaby: No way was I going to risk that happening!

Ever tried to get a replacement key ? The amount of money my local toyota garage wants amounts to nothing less than extorsion in my opinion.

Any idea where I can source a blank key and how to get it programmed (I understand there is a sequence involving depressing the accelerating and brake pedals)

thanks, John

:D

thanks, John

Iwonder if any car boot sales might do 'em cheaper

kiran@aol.com

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links