Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Top Speed

yaris_pt

Yaz has done 124 on the speedo... which due to inaccuracies at the higher end of the scale is prolly around 110 ish (10% diff) she is a 1.3l

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• earpl

• clarky

• tim220171

• seveer unaek

I am surprised at the inaccuracies that people are claiming

things like 113 mph - 96 on gps

124 - actual 113 or 115 ?

I know that gps is supposed to be the most accurate measurement but how can the speedos be so out ? I know there is a margin of error which is why there is an allowable error margin for the speed limit on roads

I have had my TS bouncing off the rev limiter 6,700 rpm ( going off the gauge )

speedo was at 210 km/h ( 131 mph ) again that is off the speedo and yes it was on a slight downhill with a clear road .

on a flat as posible road with a good clear road it will do the acclaime 190 km/h (118 mph ) in fact you can get 195 kmh which is 121 mph

whats the gps reading on that then ?

Most speedos/gaues are cheap and are calibrated for 'normal' usage, this means that they are accurate say between 0 and 70(mph), but as you increase the speed, the greater the 'inacurancies' (as it goes beyond 70..)..

theres no such thing as an accurate speedo

its all down to tyres, gearboxes, everything in between, wind resistance and tolerancing witin mass production

always assume a 10% inaccuracy

Officially, your allowed to do 10% + 3 for the speed limits and get away with it, due to errors and focusing on your driving.

So:

20mph means - 25mph

30mph means - 36mph

40mph means - 47mph

50mph means - 58mph

60mph means - 69mph

70mph means - 80mph

Obvioulsy you wouldn't want to drive at these due to REAL errors you dont know about. This is official, my mum went to a course thing about it, instead of gettin 3 points.

Well Toyota say on their site that top speed (T2 to T Spirit) is "up to 109mph" (so I guess that's the 1.3).

They give the T Sport as "up to 118mph".

I can't see them selling short their cars by giving lower than real life speeds, can you?

My speedo overeads by 3MPH all through the range (Checked against Garmin Street Pilot GPS)

That helps when "nudging" the speed limits.

Top speed????

Not known.............. as I have not yet had it on a track...but the accelerator pedal is not very far down at 70MPH ;)

A speedo should always overread... if anything...

Thats how it should be if it is legal...

Once you start dicking about with wheel sizes etc and dont get it sorted then weird **** starts happening :P

but yeah like Jaxx said... the % margin on inaccuarcy gets bigger the faster you go... so at 20mph it wouldnt be 10% inaccurate if it were 10% inaccurate at 120 :P

well I guess it is hard to know what speed you are doing past 70 then . If yuo have GPS then that must be what you go by but if the speedo on my t sport shows 190 kmh ( 118 mph ) then am i really only doing 110 or 113 ? !

well at least its the same for every one else

even if the speeds are not accurate the clock has shown 210 before the rev limiter kicks in . sounds great when you talk about it and even better when you prove it to some doubting thomas sat next to you .

When you think of it though , for what the car is aimed at and considering the size and engine etc , its a pretty damn good car ! Ive had 206 hdi s and 306 dti s trailing me , ok the top speeds may vary a bit but getting there , the ts is well ahead

saw the new ibiza seat ( new cupra version ) he was following me for a while then got past me , ( didnt realise it was the cupra till he went past ) tried to keep up but gave up after I hit 205 kmph ( speedo reading ) he just kept on going . He must have had at least 215 to 220 out of it . Good fun though ! ( we were both going down hill abit , mind )

Not that I do this on a regular basis but around a year ago (pre-modding) I got up behind an S2000 and followed him for around 30 miles up the M40. I did the full white knuckle thing and when we both pulled off onto services he was keen to tell me that we'd averaged 112 accorinding to his satnav...

Damn!

Clarky

yeah that m 40 motorway is pretty good when you want to travel up and down the country without much traffic getting in the way and if you need to be somewhere , punctual .. know what i mean ahem ..

vmails will do twice the speed of any on here!!  :lol:

only been 125MPH, probably could go faster if I didnt run out of road

For top speed runs try either the M40 from junction 11 to the M42, or the length of the M50.

.... who said the police patrols are asleep in Barn's Hill and Strensham services respectively on nights? :rolleyes:

About inaccuracies, as I told before, police radar cought me on my Yaris 1.0 at 189,47 kmh (real speed) when speedo was at 199 kmh. So, at least 5%...

TOC does not condone speeding on public roads

anymore posts regarding speeding on public roads and

this thread will be toast :bye:

Well said Kimi... you guys are crazy doing that speed! The majority of people on here are aged 17-21, in that bracket, if you get caught at those speeds... the post isn't toast... your licence is! Save it for the track!

• 1 year later...

I had a genuine hospital run today in my power-box'd D-4D (2003) (with acetone in the fuel) and had to shift on a v quiet motorway.

I happened across a '55 Cupra 1.9 TDi ( a fine motor) and for whatever the reason , its driver was going flat out. The Cupra was able to pull away a bit quicker, the rate of difference being slow, just about a walking speed. But reaching flat out both cars were even and neither was any faster. My tacho' showed 5200 rpm. I know tha Cupra is a faster car at stock settings.

Also not advocating unneccessary top-speeds, but it does show tuning boxes enhance top-end too and felt I'd post this out of interest.

I had a genuine hospital run today in my power-box'd D-4D (2003) (with acetone in the fuel) and had to shift on a v quiet motorway.

I happened across a '55 Cupra 1.9 TDi ( a fine motor) and for whatever the reason , its driver was going flat out. The Cupra was able to pull away a bit quicker, the rate of difference being slow, just about a walking speed. But reaching flat out both cars were even and neither was any faster. My tacho' showed 5200 rpm. I know tha Cupra is a faster car at stock settings.

Also not advocating unneccessary top-speeds, but it does show tuning boxes enhance top-end too and felt I'd post this out of interest.

Couple of things:

How'd you know he was going flat out?

Which Cupra? Leon? Ibiza?

Either way, if they were going flat out they'd be doing 136mph (approx) which your Yaris wouldn't im afraid.

You may keep some sort of even acceleration curve, but once you reach the upper echelons of 110mph they'd pull away. Probably well before.

I think the D4D has a top speed of 106mph, if they were flat out, then that'd mean you'd made an increase to your top speed in the region of 30%. Which simply hasn't happened I'm afraid.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links