Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Full Screen Navigation, Eta And Tmc

eaglesrest

Hi Peeps,

I've just ordered a RAV4 XT5 which includes the full screen navigation system. I looked over a demonstrator at the dealership and it has all the options for TMC and Electronic Traffic Avoidance, however it did not appear to be working as the Tuner did not locate a TMC carrier (e.g. Classic FM) - it just kept searching without success.

Does anyone know if TMC and ETA work on this system as I have seen some post ssuggesting that older full screen NAV systems didn't include the functionality? These were older posts and it would seem that the functionality is there, but is it working?

Many thanks

Paul

Paul

I've got the system included in my nav unit and it works well - usually takes a few minutes for the information to come through, at which point the TMC symbol under the GPS symbol (top left) will be displayed on bold. You can set up the channel manually that the system uses if necessary, but you will most likely find it will work fine when you take delivery of yours. I have used the re-route due to traffic a few times now and it works really well - and displays little symbols on the screen to show what type of problem you are avoiding.

All you need to add once you get the XT5 is the reversing camera!

Moonranger,

Thanks for the quick reply - it sounds promising. When it works out your detours due to traffic, does it take all incidents into account on your current route or just the next nearest incident? Also, when looking at alternative routes does it look at traffic incidents on the alternative routes too and then pick the shortest possible route inc all incidents? I've got TomTom Navigator with traffic and it works that way, but my current BMW just takes the next available incident and will quite happily route you into a much worse traffic situation even if the original delay was only like 2 minutes.

So how does the reversing camera work then? Is it an aftermarket fit via toyota which then uses the NAV screen to display the image? I was going to order the parking sensors, but a camera sounds far more 'toys for the boys' :)

Ta

Not sure how intelligent the reroute software is as I've only been re-routed once so far. I imagine it considers all the problem areas in the database when calculating a new route, although in Devon any re-routes are rare anyway!

The reverse camera was fitted by myself as I bought it on eBay from a guy in the US. I've also fitted some reverse sensors as they were only about 20 quid - just 2 sensors, 1 on each corner and they work very well. The reverse camera is mounted in the high level brake light, so it's a tidy solution, although running the signal cable from the back to the front is a bit of a pain. It's great though - a wide angle view out of the back window from the comfort of your seat. You need to get an image reversing camera though, with NTSC output and ideally 110 degree field of view.

Not sure how intelligent the reroute software is as I've only been re-routed once so far.  I imagine it considers all the problem areas in the database when calculating a new route, although in Devon any re-routes are rare anyway!

The reverse camera was fitted by myself as I bought it on ebay from a guy in the US.  I've also fitted some reverse sensors as they were only about 20 quid - just 2 sensors, 1 on each corner and they work very well.  The reverse camera is mounted in the high level brake light, so it's a tidy solution, although running the signal cable from the back to the front is a bit of a pain.  It's great though - a wide angle view out of the back window from the comfort of your seat.  You need to get an image reversing camera though, with NTSC output and ideally 110 degree field of view.

Andy ...you really should be setting up a TOC garage to show off all these great toys!!!!!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Moonranger,

Well I finall got my XT5 and I'm very happy with it. The satnav is excellent. I've owned a few satnav systems -Destinator, TomTom traffic and BMW X5 navigation - this is by far the best and for the money it's really incredible how many features Toyota have crammed in.

The maps are the best available (NAVTECH PLUS), each turn is so clear, with great graphics and even the sign-post headings on montorways are spoken and displayed. Loads of routing options, waypoints, poi's, touch screen, instant route planning and re-routing, postcode search, even telephone number search, etc.

The only issue I've got is the TMC updates. When they work (about 40% of the time) the ETA works well. However, it seems random as to when it's going to get reception. As you know it uses Classic FM as the TMC carrier, but I can have perfect reception via the radio but the TMC icon can stay dimmed for an entire journey. I tried it from my home address last night and it was working perfectly. Then this morning it didn't work for the whole 90 minute journey to work. On the way home it worked for practically the whole journey. I got home, switched it off then back on again and guess what? No reception (in the settings option where Classic FM should have been displayed) and dimmed TMC icon. Weird?

I thought it might be reception related and a dodgy aeriel or loose connector, but the logic doesn't follow in the situations where it has and hasn't worked so I'm at a loss??? Funny thing is I tried a demo XT5 in the Toyota garage and it couldn't get reception either so I'm wondering if its a common fault.

Oh well, it's in the dealership on Monday so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it. What's the odds it'll work perfectly all day while it's there?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar problems. I read some posts where the aeriel was to blame for a similar scenario but that was for 2002/2003 avensis! You'd have thought Toyota would have sorted that problem by now.

It might seem like a minor issue in the context with the whole car package, but TMC and ETA helps me avoid sitting in occasional hour long queues on the M62 and M60 and for me that's a major plus :)

Cheers

Paul

If the XT5 at the dealers had the same problem maybe it is a problem with receiving the data over the Classic carrier in your area. I've got exactly the same unit in my Rav and always get an TMC caption within a couple of minutes of driving off - and Classic is not that strong around here. Last Monday it worked a treat when some barking mad lorry driver snarled up the M5 at J20 for a few hours - I was surrounded by queueing traffic symbols on the map! If your aerial was not working properly you would notice it, especially on MW and LW reception. Have you put the unit into diagnostic mode to see what it says there - press and hold info and turn the side lights on and off 5 times - there is a check page for TMC in the main menu.

Diagnostic mode (3 changes of the side lights) shows RDS-TMC, no data. I guess this means no reception..... but I've had reception in the same location before, using the same car, and also had 100% coverage on all my journeys using my X5!

Bizarre! The X5 got the traffic data all the time but didn't know what to do with it, and the XT5 can't get the data but is much better equipped to affect the route planning when it does!

Top tip with the diagnostic mode by the way. Hope the Toyota engineers have the same knowledge and can pinpoint the problem on Monday. It almost seems like a software issue cos the car gets reception perfectly one minute, then the next it's down for hours!

I'll try the diagnostic again tomorrow for a longer period of time. We are going on hols next week, flying from Heathrow and I'd like it to be working for then to hopefully minimise any 'got to catch my flight' stresses!

Ta

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links