Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise

MrWinkey

Hi All,

i am new to this forum, having not yet bought a Yaris (naughty i know, but picking one up this Sat).

I have read various posts on this forum and thankfully cant find a lot of complaints about this car, but one thing that seems to reoccur is, noise.

The car will actually be my girlfriends, but she currently drives a Cinq Sporting.

So, my questions is (get to the point) will we find the Yaris noisy compared to the cinq, or is it just noisy compared to other cars?

When we have looked at the Yaris, we think it looks like a palace inside compared to the Cinq, which is so rattley and plasticy and makes loads of noise, from trim rattle to road and engine noise.

Anyway, i will stop rambling now.

Cheers,

MrWinkey

Hey, Welcome MrWinkey :lol:

It's more road noise than anything.. a bit of music and I can't hear anything.. No squeaks or rattles from mine though, can't complain :thumbsup:

Cheers Chappers,

I expect a bit of road noise as the suspension is susposed to be firm to stop body roll due to the cars height.

I have read so many reviews from various car magazines (what car and the like) which get on my !Removed!. They seem to compare the yaris to bigger, more expensive cars. The commen thing is that they say it doesnt handle well. Well its not meant to be a sports car is it?

There are so many divided oppinions about this car, but the one united one is that the car is reliable (ours will be the worst ever now).

Has anyone had experience of a Cinq? I have changed everything on it in the last 18months while she has had it. Knew nothing about cars before she got that, now i have changed the Head gasket, clutch, alternator, breaks (disks and pads, shoes) blah blah blah. list too long to mention.

Cheers,

MrWinkey

Welcome Mr Winkey :hokus-pokus: good name by the way !!!

Havent found my yari noisey seems ok to me :D

and compared to a fiat (fix it again tommorrow) you'll think you've

gone deaf :lol::lol::lol:

kimi :wub:

My mate had a Cinq.. It was like driving a bean tin (no offence!) Absolutely horrible.

Yes, the Yaris will lean/tilt into corners, not massively (but im talking if you throw it into a coner at speeds). Everyday driving it is fine.

There's a shedload of people on here with Yarii and not one will point out a 'bad' fault..

*Wait for some smartubik*

The yaris is 100 % better than any cinq! I've had a go in a seicento and it was awful, loud, rattly, flimsy, to be honest mate you have no worries at all. It also handles very tidy compared to other small cars, dont belive everything you read thats for sure!

Also the yaris is very safe so your gf should be very happy! Also they dont breakdown often at all. I've nailed mine for 25k miles and it hasnt had to visit a garage at all!

Hope your gf enjoys it!

Hiya and welcome to the club.

Generally the Yaris is a great car and the only fault really is the road noise at high speeds, and some minor dash vibrations if your driving on some rough roads. But because its such a great little car .. ppl are just nit picking here, thats why the only problems you hear people talking about here is noise!

Great choice in car .. and you'll love it! :thumbsup:

Cheers for the replies People,

That is very reassuring to know.

We both think the Cinq is a cool little car (lots of fond memories, first car and all) but it is always in trouble and sucks the life out of my wallet. (note: My Wallet)

I cant help thinking that all this talk of how reliable the car is, will jinx us and ours will drop to pieces.

The only actual problem some people speak of is a gear stick problem, hard selecting some gears, but that sounds like a simple adjustment.

This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the point of taking the car to the main delaer (or Mr T) as you all call it, to have it sorted? I know a lot of Mechanics and they alll say that people they reject from working with them, go and get jobs in the dealers (generalisation i know) of which i know a few (my gf's brother for one).

Cheers,

MrWinkey

Yaris-Nut,

your comment about Nit Picking sounds spot on. ON every other forum i have been on for any car, the posts are mostly "I have this problem...", "problem with this..." etc etc, but all people talk about on this is Modding them, which fills me (us) with confidence.

I am sure a lot of you will appreciate this, but with the Cinq, i get worried if she is late home, thinking she has broken down somewhere (which happens a lot, and people do not stop and help, they just beep and get angry. She is only 5'2" and about 7.5st, so she cant even move the Cinq). So, if the Yaris lives up to its rep, i will be able to rest easy knowing she is not going to break down and will be safe in an accident.

You are all making me feel better about our purchase. By the way, what do you think. We have paid £5k for a 1.3SR, 3 door, 51 (reg jan '02), with everything on it.

Cheers,

MrWinkey

Well Toyota arent the top selling manufacturers in the world for nothing! They are known for reliability .. and reliable the little Yaris is aswell. As long as you keep it serviced then it should last a long long time without problems.

As for the SR .. great car! Its got the best standard alloys in the range, the best exhaust backbox if you got the TTE one .. which i think you should have .. TTE sports springs and spoiler as standard! Its got everything you and your gf would need! :thumbsup: As you may know i'm slightly biased (i wonder why?) :lol:

Anyway .. good choice .. you'll love it!

Btw what colour is it?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

My mate had a Cinq.. It was like driving a bean tin (no offence!) Absolutely horrible.

Have you driven a bean tin before then? :P :P

I dont get any road noise with my Yaris - can hear the engine working at over 60 mph as she's a 1.0L but it doesnt bother me..and it's a nice sound :D

I love your name! :D

I'm on my 2nd Yaris now and although there were a few squeeks in the cabin in the first one, this new one (its only a month and a half old) is as quiet as - its great! :D

You wont do better!

Oh and I'm glad your girlfriend has moved away from Fiat - nasty cars - I had a Punto as a hire car once and it was awful and the Seicento has the worst NCAP safety rating of any car in its class - a whole ONE star! Compare that to the Yaris' 4 stars and you see what a wise choice you've made! :thumbsup:

Well Toyota arent the top selling manufacturers in the world for nothing! They are known for reliability .. and reliable the little Yaris is aswell. As long as you keep it serviced then it should last a long long time without problems.

As for the SR .. great car! Its got the best standard alloys in the range, the best exhaust backbox if you got the TTE one .. which i think you should have .. TTE sports springs and spoiler as standard! Its got everything you and your gf would need!  :thumbsup:  As you may know i'm slightly biased (i wonder why?)  :lol:

Anyway .. good choice .. you'll love it!

Btw what colour is it?

Cheers!  :thumbsup:

Hopefully we will be picking it up tomorrow night (Friday) and it is 60miles away from us, so we should get a good feel for it by the time we get home.

Never had a car with Air Con before, so dont know why people go on about it using more fuel. What has Air Con got to do with fuel? Prob a stupid question.

MrWinkey

You will find with the a/c on the engine will rev higher as it uses the engine to run the condenser, therefore using more fuel and less power for acceleration etc.

It probably doesnt affect the T-Sport too much as it has a larger engine, but it does make a fair difference in a 1.3 i find .. and i'm sure it makes even more difference in a 1.0

But its a must have in the summer though! :thumbsup:

Cheers Yaris Nut,

i will have to have a read up on the Air Con as i dont have a clue why it should do what you say, most things on cars are run by the electrics.

I will try get my head round it, or it will bug the hell out of me.

Cheers for you reply and trying to help out a thicko like me.

The commen thing is that they say it doesnt handle well. Well its not meant to be a sports car is it?

I see it's an SR you've bought... you probably won't read a review of that... they kind of skipped it out... i have one and it's absolutley belting. It handles brilliantly... it's sat on lowered, sports springs and everything is 'tightened' up a bit from the other models, so it really is like a little sports car! Belting!

The only actual problem some people speak of is a gear stick problem, hard selecting some gears, but that sounds like a simple adjustment.

The gearstick problems aren't as bad as some people say... and the one's that are get fixed. All you've got to remember is to ensure your foot is welding the clutch to the floor... no half-ar5ed changing and all will be good and proper!

i will have to have a read up on the Air Con as i dont have a clue why it should do what you say, most things on cars are run by the electrics.

Iv written a reply in the other topic you posted on regarding the air-con and how it works! Hope it helps!

Welcome to the club and enjoy your car... im 99.9999999% sure you won't be dissapointed!!! (got to factor in some leway for error!!)

P.S. On the subject of noises... there are some rattles... but nothing that's going to annoy you to tears, and the road noise is only a problem past 50mph, but past 70mph you will get a bit of engine noise due to the gearing, but this means you have terrific acceleration at Motorway speeds.

Seveer,

cheers for that mini review, thats cool. When you say it is lowered and on sports springs, do you mean yours is, or all SR's are?

The spec on the car is amazing. And the wheels are seriously tidy, i cant believe some people change them.

So you have left a certain margin for error then, 0.01%. I think this is the comon concensus witht he yaris.

I cant wait to pick it up and find out.

As i said, she has a Cinq at the moment and i cant believe the Yaris can be any louder than that. The Cinq has stiff suspension, so lots of road niose and the exhaust sounds like it is in the cab with you. Anything over 3500rpm and its loud.

As for having the clutch floored, it sounds like the cable needs to be tightened to pull the clutch more. Cant you alter the biting point on the Yaris? Every other car i know you can set it anywhere fromt he top of the pedal travel to the bottom by altering the cable.

Seveer,

cheers for that mini review, thats cool. When you say it is lowered and on sports springs, do you mean yours is, or all SR's are?

As for having the clutch floored, it sounds like the cable needs to be tightened to pull the clutch more.

No probs... happy to help!

ALL SR's sit on -20mm TTE springs. Not just mine! It's a great little thing the SR!

As to the clutch, you prabably can adjust it, but im not sure how... it's nowt to do with biting point, it's when changing gear... to stop any 'clunking' you gotta make sure clutch is engaged properly... that's all tho, and after 5mins you'll be used to it anyway!!

The gearstick problems aren't as bad as some people say... and the one's that are get fixed. All you've got to remember is to ensure your foot is welding the clutch to the floor... no half-ar5ed changing and all will be good and proper!

A little unfair, Seveer, to suggest that the gearstick problem isn't as bad as some people say if you haven't had that particular problem though if you meant to say that most don't have that problem, then that is correct. I started that thread and it was a real problem and not because I don't know where the clutch is! :rolleyes: Having said that, it was repaired under warranty in about three hours and is now beautiful!

As for the car in general, the Yaris is a great little car with very few problems and you'd be unlucky to have a fault that would stop you. I love it and would thoroughly recommend the Yaris to anyone (well, OK, maybe not to a family with three kids and two dogs!).

Enjoy your car and driving past loads and loads of filling stations.

:thumbsup:

Forgot to mention that, as well as low running costs, it can carry people in relative comfort with lots of legroom if there's just the two of you. Headroom too.

It also carries a lot more shopping, luggage, etc. than you would at first expect. The sliding rear seat is a real boon. I managed to get a five foot Christmas tree in mine!

Sorry Al, meant to say that it's not a prob for most people, and if it is... it's easily fixed.

Sorry Al, meant to say that it's not a prob for most people, and if it is... it's easily fixed.

No probs, matey. I'll let you off this time! :thumbsup:

No probs, matey. I'll let you off this time!  :thumbsup:

Phew! I seem to be stepping on a couple of peoples toes at the mo, and when you're a big !Removed! like me... it hurts! :lol:

In the style of New Yawk Gansta'.... Cheers Dawg!

I started that thread and it was a real problem and not because I don't know where the clutch is!  :rolleyes: Having said that, it was repaired under warranty in about three hours and is now beautiful!

For a newbie who hasn't seen/found that thread, can you explain the problem you had? I've already had quite a few occasions where I haven't floored the clutch as much as I should've and have ground my gears :blink: I also find reverse hard to engage! Is the clutch thing defo something I can call on the warranty for?

Also, with regard to rattles... I have a rather annoying one that seems to come from the passenger-side in the rear of the car... <_<

For a newbie who hasn't seen/found that thread, can you explain the problem you had? I've already had quite a few occasions where I haven't floored the clutch as much as I should've and have ground my gears  :blink: I also find reverse hard to engage! Is the clutch thing defo something I can call on the warranty for?

Also, with regard to rattles... I have a rather annoying one that seems to come from the passenger-side in the rear of the car...  <_<

Reverse is a problem for us all, but it was on my previous car, it was on the car i learned in and it is in my dads car... you just got to take your foot off clutch, the back on and slip it into reverse, or slip it into 2nd first. Just to align the gears.

The rattle could be your boot lock... spray some WD40 or wad some grease around the lock and see if it's any better. Also... try fastening the seat belts when not in use... they sometimes vibrate against the plastic in the car! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links