Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Bells, The Bells....

MrWinkey

Right here goes, another stupid question. I dont know how i do it, they just keep coming to me.

The manual mentions something about a security system, so does a lot of other information about the car. The only real security listed is the imobiliser, but the guy we bought it off thinks it has an alarm.

So, the stupid question is, how the hell do we tell?

The reason the car is soo good, is they spent all the budget on the car and left nothing for the manual. (right way round though)

cheers in advance

Nope, theres a imobiliser, but no alarm, mines a 2000 SR, not 100% sure with the other model but i assume that there isnt.

Ray

Ray,

does yours lock its doors if you leave it alone for a few mins?

My mates alarm system used to do this, so that makes me think there is one.

No, sorry, i didnt make myself clear.

My mate had a 5Turbo that had an alarm that did that, actually so did my mates Clio.

Now, the '02 Yaris SR that we have just got also does this. The manual says it has a security system, and the guy we bought off seems certain it has an alarm.

So i dont know, cos that really is all the manual says, the car has a security system. Great manual, glad the same people didnt build the car.

Nope .. the SR does not have an alarm. In fact none of the Yaris models have alarms apart from the T-Sport.

What you do have on the SR is immobiliser and should you accidently press the "unlock" key on your remote instead of "lock" key .. then after a few seconds (about 30 secs) it will automatically lock itself. But it will not auto lock otherwise.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

The T Sport comes with an alarm as standard.

Do you have remote central locking? If you have sit inside your car. Lock the car while you are sat in it and then press the lock button again (twice in total)

If you have dead locks you shouldn’t be able to open the door to get out.

Now unlock using the remote. Wait approximately 30 seconds and if no doors are opened within this time the car will lock it’s self.

The Yaris is a secure car to start with. If you want any more protection I can highly recommend the following anti theft devices...

disklock.gif or 301.gif

Opps another picture, slap my wrist...

Lck it, then kick th ewhells, shake the car,obviously, if it has analarm, it iwll go off  :thumbsup:

Have another beer chappers and leave your keyboard alone till tomorow :thumbsup:

As standard the T-Sport is the only yaris to have an alarm as standard.

See - the guys have answered your question much better than me! :thumbsup:

Thats why they're good guys to have around!

Sorry for being an eejit!

DA aka "Numpty!" :D :D

The Yaris is a secure car to start with. If you want any more protection I can highly recommend the following anti theft devices...

disklock.gif or 301.gif

Opps another picture, slap my wrist...

I always feel that these things shout "Look! Look! Even I don't think my car's secure. It will be nice and easy for you to steal it or my posessions!"

Sorry, just MHO... I've had this argument with my Mum before :rolleyes:

A

Lck it, then kick th ewhells, shake the car,obviously, if it has analarm, it iwll go off  :thumbsup:

Have another beer chappers and leave your keyboard alone till tomorow :thumbsup:

As standard the T-Sport is the only yaris to have an alarm as standard.

:beer: Damn, and that was me taking my time..

Anyways, they all come with Engine Imobiliser (sp) - I dont regard this as an 'Alarm'

The T-Sport has a 'woo woo' alarm? - tidy :thumbsup:

If you want to be definate that you have an alarm or not, have a look along the headlining and on the driver and passenger sides and they'll be two little black microphone type things... they're the interior sensors.

To test this... drop the window, get out, lock car. Wait about 30secs or a minute, then stick your hand inside the car, if it has an alarm... it'll go off!

My SR has an alarm, but like io said in other post... not sure if standard!

I always feel that these things shout "Look! Look! Even I don't think my car's secure. It will be nice and easy for you to steal it or my posessions!"

Sorry, just MHO... I've had this argument with my Mum before :rolleyes:

A

hmm I can see your point on that - but they are still a deterrent and will take an extra bit of time to remove.

My T3 doesnt have an alarm, and as I had a handbrake/gearstick lock on my old Fiesta before I got the Yaris I now use it on the Yaris too. It cant hurt and any deterrent is good in my eyes!

My friend at work drives a Volvo - a really posh one which is probably like Fort Knox to get into, let alone steal, but she has a Disklok in it.

Personally, when I get into my car, I just wanna go, I dont wanna have to lock things, unlock things, move things - so I dont have anything deterrent wise in my car and I never have done.

Plus I have to think of weight etc as they must be quite heavy and I have to be careful with lifting/carrying heavy things with my back.

In that respect I kinda agree with Alan, its like telling them to come and have a go if they think they're hard enough - anyone can nick a car, but the guy who can nick a car and get the Disklok off is a high ranking member of the car thief brigade....

Unless it is a discklock.... all those aftermarket thingys are practically useless! The most common one... that 'through the wheel' stoplock can be removed in 3secs! Hardly a deterrent!

Plus, if somebody's gonna nick your car, then that's what they'll do... lock or no lock.

Also, like Em, i'd hate all the fuss of having to put it on and then remove it, having it take up space and all that crap. Not worth it.

most car thieves are oppertunist thieves,

the disc lock will with stand 5 minute plus attack,if a scumbag looks

into a car intending to steal it he will go for the easiest option.

the one without the disc lock.

If a pro thief wants your car then they will just tow it away, but most car

crime is by scumbag/joy riders.Also its usually for the stereo thats why

toyota build the stereos into the dash.

I have a disc lock and leave my stereo as mr t intended why temp scum.

ok so when i leave work i'm not the 1st off the carpark due to removing

my disc lock,but it only takes an xtra minute its worth it.

i cant disagree with owning a diskloc more!

they key broke on mine and got lost!

could we get it off! no

where was we? bristol (250miles from home)

how did we get it off? 5 hour wait for RAC then 4 mecahnics and an angle grinder! and my steering wheel got damaged!

crap!

get a snap off steering wheel! much better! and you can have a little added styling!

The good thing about those locks are a visual deterent.

Most lilky thieves are going to take the easiest one, sure its either:

a.) Car with a locked stearing wheel (5min job)

b.) A car without.

I would hit the one without.

most car thieves are oppertunist thieves,

the disc lock will with stand 5 minute plus attack,if a scumbag looks

into a car intending to steal it he will go for the easiest option.

the one without the disc lock.

If a pro thief wants your car then they will just tow it away, but most car

crime is by scumbag/joy riders.Also its usually for the stereo thats why

toyota build the stereos into the dash.

I have a disc lock and leave my stereo as mr t intended why temp scum.

ok so when i leave work i'm not the 1st off the carpark due to removing

my disc lock,but it only takes an xtra minute its worth it.

Exactly! If it's a car like there are thousands about they wont bother with the extra hassle. Every extra second they spend on removing these things, is a second they can get nicked.

If they want your specific car, no matter what you do they'll get it. If they can't tow it away, they'll car/home-jack it.

Yves.

Cheers for all the help people.

I have found out today that the car only locks its self when the remote is used and no door is opened within a certain time, and there are no sensors on the car anywhere. Plus when i shake it nothing happens.

Having just read all your posts, i am glad (i think) to see that most of you agree with what i have found.

So i will lay the matter to rest.

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links