Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lift Bolts On Cts

CraigR

Thanx for all the info on this CraigR.Our CTS[53 reg] has just done over 10000 miles and I'm getting worried about pushing the revs up to land into lift. What if the dealer won't check and change the lift bolts if needed.Unfortunately I've not got the tech experience to do something like that myself.

All I can suggest for a realistic solution is to take your car to West Riding Toyota in Huddisfield. They know of the problems, and will sort it for you.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• T128

• bec-tsport

• Norfolk n Chance

Its scandalous that this problem exists and Toyota is doing nothing about it.I can understand the problem the dealers have as well.I think its worth a shot trying my local dealer first.In the meantime I will have to abstain :lol: from the lift zone :lol: just to be safe :rolleyes:

Its scandalous that this problem exists and Toyota is doing nothing about it.I can understand the problem the dealers have as well.I think its worth a shot trying my local dealer first.In the meantime I will have to abstain :lol: from the lift zone  :lol: just to be safe :rolleyes:

anyone see that piggy over head??? :thumbsup:

24K Miles on my CTS, and no problems here. A friend in Canada has a Celica GTS (Tsport) 2002 with over 70K miles on it, and no problems with lift bolts.

*Craig shakes his head* :rolleyes:

Do you honestly think Toyota have honestly gone back to the drawing board and changed their engine design for post 2002 models for the Celica/Corolla/Lotus Elise? They may have made the lift bolts stronger in construction, but they still wear and will eventually break.

The Celica GTS you mention. I bet that the bolts have broken off, but are still holding the camshaft in position, and hence why they still get lift? How much does the guy/girl actually go into lift? I'm sure that 85% of Celica/Corolla 2zz engine owners have never been into lift!

This is a picture of someone that has only done 10,000 miles, and hardly goes into lift.

liftbolts.jpg

this is quite serious the more i think about it,if the lift bolts has already snap we wont know untill the damage is done.

For the people who cares :maybe we should all make a complain to toyota and see what they have to say,nothing is gonna be done if we just sit here talking about it between ourselfs

i wonder what my dear friend acidman think about this,acidman if you are reading this let me know what you think.

this is quite serious the more i think about it,if the lift bolts has already snap we wont know untill the damage is done.

For the people who cares :maybe we should all make a complain to toyota and see what they have to say,nothing is gonna be done if we just sit here talking about  it between ourselfs

True, which is why both my Celica T-sport and my girlfriend's Corolla T-sport have had theres changed at the last service.

CraigR , I see the post is now into 3 pages (and rightly so) and hey man didn't you open up a right can of worms :thumbsup:

Just hate the idea of people that love their cars, suddenly wake up one morning with a major financial headache for two bolts that cost 26p each.

They way i look at it is CraigR has notified us of the problem and those who care about our cars and pockets will do something about it, those who dont well :blink: crazy comes to mind or the saying "after the horse has bolted ".

I've just read all this thread with interest as I own a 2004 T Sport, could this be just a dodgy batch of bolts rather than a design fault?

Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to defend toyota just implying that it could be a faulty batch of bolts, my mate is a mechanic at toyota and they have had 3 pre 2002 celica's in with broken bolts, no damage just lift not working.

Hasn't had one for years so it isn't a big problem, of course that doesn't help if yours brakes I suppose but I will advise them to check mine come the 10,000 mile service but i'm not going to panic about it...

Could be they have altered the material in the bolts that could be all thats required...

I've just read all this thread with interest as I own a 2004 T Sport, could this be just a dodgy batch of bolts rather than a design fault?

Don't get me wrong i'm not trying to defend toyota just implying that it could be a faulty batch of bolts, my mate is a mechanic at toyota and they have had 3 pre 2002 celica's in with broken bolts, no damage just lift not working.

Hasn't had one for years so it isn't a big problem, of course that doesn't help if yours brakes I suppose but I will advise them to check mine come the 10,000 mile service but i'm not going to panic about it...

Could be they have altered the material in the bolts that could be all thats required...

They are better, but they are still wearing. It all depends on how much the owners are going into lift, and putting stress on them?

*Craig shakes his head*  :rolleyes:

How much does the guy/girl actually go into lift? I'm sure that 85% of Celica/Corolla 2zz engine owners have never been into lift!

liftbolts.jpg

is that a joke?

just wanted to know, where can i pick up some GOOD bolts.

thanks

All new bolts will be of the same standard. You just need to check them every so often to make sure they have wore down and broken.

Thought I would bring this subject back up again.

I have been making loads of enquiries about this subject with the UK Toyota Network and have come to the following conclusion how the Warranty lies with this issue.

As we already know Toyota do not see this problems as a fault with the car therefore at this time there is no recall. (FACT)

The Warranty does not cover an inspection nor replacement of the bolts unless there is an actual fault with the car ie loss of lift or strange noises.

To insist on a free inspection of the bolts can not be justified by any dealer unless there is a visible fault of the engines performance as they will not get a refund from Toyota UK.

To have the bolts changed with the customer paying is about £100 and should the bolts break whislt removing them it would be at the customer own risk. Very expensive.

I did bring the posts on this website plus the Celica's one to their attention and they seemed quite interested in the content but still confirmed there was no problem in Europe as described. I assume because they have not had enough people complain here.

I don't know what the solution is but for myself for now I will consider an extended Warranty (£365 for one year, £560 for two) and ease of the lift because at the end of the day I only need to use it when overtaking CIVIC Type R's and such like.

Comments welcome.

Nick

Thought I would bring this subject back up again.

I have been making loads of enquiries about this subject with the UK Toyota Network and have come to the following conclusion how the Warranty lies with this issue.

As we already know Toyota do not see this problems as a fault with the car therefore at this time there is no recall. (FACT)

True

The Warranty does not cover an inspection nor replacement of the bolts unless there is an actual fault with the car ie loss of lift or strange noises.

No you're probably right, but the inspection wouldn't cost that much

No you're probably right, but the inspection wouldn't cost that much

To insist on a free inspection of the bolts can not be justified by any dealer unless there is a visible fault of the engines performance as they will not get a refund from Toyota UK.

As above

To have the bolts changed with the customer paying is about £100 and should the bolts break whislt removing them it would be at the customer own risk.  Very expensive.

I had my oil gallery replaced (when the bolt snapped off and fell in there) and paid nothing for work. I know that both West Riding Toyota in Huddisfield and Airdale had replaced these bolts on quite a few Toyotas under warranty.

I did bring the posts on this website plus the Celica's one to their attention and they seemed quite interested in the content but still confirmed there was no problem in Europe as described.  I assume because they have not had enough people complain here.

Yeah isn't ignorance bliss :ffs: They are a bunch of !Removed! liars basically as there are fully aware of this issue, but don't wanna have to pay the recall costs.

I don't know what the solution is but for myself for now I will consider an extended Warranty (£365 for one year, £560 for two) and ease of the lift because at the end of the day I only need to use it when overtaking CIVIC Type R's and such like

Best to change them yourself our take it to the dealerships I have listed. If you join celica-club for £10 you can get 25% parts and 15% off servicing I think it is?

Dont Panic.

I have just taken my CTS in to my Local dealer, Western Toyota in Edinburgh and asked them to have a look in to this problem.

The foreman Mechanic had a look through this thread and said pretty much that there are no problems of any kind with the engine and that it is bullet proof, i wnet away happy enough with that answer as they have always been straight with me.

however i get a call later saying that he had a good look in to it and the Celica engines pre 2000 loosing power through these bolts was the only reference to this problem and that the bolts had been redesigned and in no way could effect the CTS or any Celica using the 190 engine and can only assume that this covers all other cars i.e. Matrix, maybe if you have one of the very first Celica 190's i would check with your dealer.

Later that day i get a call again booking my car in because this was totaly bugging him, sure enough the next day i have been pressented with two bolts one brand new and one bolt done 55k only difference was some very slight marks on the bolt and i mean these were like a tiny scratch in the coating, he then said that you can 100% be sure that this engine will last 100k and beyond even stating that easily reaching 150k with routine servicing.

All i can say is dont waste your time with this people, i felt pretty foolish and now have total faith in toyota again, was just woried as my waranty was up, if you feel you need to clarify this i would ask your local dealer i cant vouch for every dealer but would say i got an excellent service from mine.

Cheers :thumbsup:

My CTS - 03 on my 20 K service had bad wearing on them and thankfully my dealer checked these out for me without any queary and replaced them. I would of been none the wiser as my lift was fine but was told in time these would of done serious harm. But certainly didnt feel foolish just pleased this was picked up on sooner rather than later. :bye:

You can take my advice and have these checked or not. I'm provided plenty of proof on these engine bolts POST 2002 and I really don't give a toss whether you feel a fool or not.

If you had read my post properly you would have noticed that I have already said that Toyota have changed the construction of this bolt, but its still not cured the problem.

You are both gullible and naive, and it really makes me laugh that you think Toyota is the angel amongst manufacturers. Yes Toyota are great cars, but they have plenty of problems like alot of other cars on the road.

Graig

Its sound like your getting anoyed with this now. Nobody is saying you are wrong or they don't believe you they are just finding out for themselves. You said earlier you wanted to know what the dealers recation to this was and people are telling you what they have found out. It appears at the end of the day that the dealer Network appear to know nothing about this (regardless of whetheer its true or not) and as a result there is no Warranty claim unless there is a physical fault. Some people have said they have had them checked and changed under Warranty and their lucky because most dealers won't do it as I have found.

Clearly there is a problem and I am glad you have mentioned it because it is something to be aware of and do hope anything else you are aware of you mention too. You have done a good job with your research and I am sure like me that everyone who as read this thread are glad you have brought it to our attention.

Nick

Graig

Its sound like your getting anoyed with this now. 

Nick

Yes and I shouldn't care, but I do. I'm glad some people don't think this is all a load of nonsense, and will keep a check on the cars they care about.

Good luck to all those rev hungry lift junkies, like myself :D

Craig

Quite frankly i dont care what you think about me, i have told you that (a) i took your advice regarding the problem and (B) i checked it out within warranty.

I am not gullible because i have seen the bolts for myself and my car had done 55,000 miles and hundreds if not thousands of lifts and there was such a tiny ammount of wear on the bolts i thought that my engine would give a fgood indication that this isn't a serious flaw.

I think that Toyota would certianly have put a recall in for the car had the problem been a serious as you seem to think, i heard they recently recalled the whole yaris range on the basis of two cars developing a fault only brought about by extreme wether conditions.

I think you need to listen to somebody else who has actualy looked in to this problem, i too use my lift most days and i would say to you what the mechanic said to me that they will never make metal that dosen't wear.

I would be very suprised why you would need to keep changing the bolts all the time, may this be a case of over driving the engine??

Take it easy choom, you know the world aint out to get you

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links