Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Error Code 31 And 42 - Help?

Buckie

Hello,

Managed to get some time and find out what the ornage engine light thing was all about -

Out came Error code 31 and 42

31 = Air Flow Signal (Vacuum Sensor Signal)

42 = Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal.

Concerning "42" - I already knew about as the MPH and tripclock stopped working a few weeks ago - however is this casuing any other problems with the car do you think??? - How do I fix this - is it just the speedo conversion box thing (ie KPH to MPH)??

COncerning "31" - I have no idea where this came from or how to fix?? Any help is very appreciated - worries me a little.

Thanks in advance

Buckie

Im not 100% but id assume that your air flow meter / signal comes from the the box of tricks that your air filter bolts onto !

Make sure that all wires are connected and ok, also, if you take your air filter off you'll be able to see inside the box, make sure the flap moves fully ?

Know anyone else with a 2 ? try thier box, and start the car, does it still happen ? - little bit of trial an error, but just a couple of ideas ?

I have this problem if I fit a speed convertor.. Does your car have Traction Control ? if it does then I would be interested to know if there is a way to fit a convertor.

When fitted to mine the speedo send the signal to the ECU which monitors the ABS sensors for the TRC, if then goes mental and gives error 42, I even tried sending KMH back to the ECU before the convertor, but for some reason I think the speedo talks to the ECU as well???. So I am stuck running in KM/H for the forseable future.. Going to get some 110 MPH dials with TRC lights printed in the next week or so :)

dunno if its the same for a tubby but the air flow signal error is for a little sensor thats can be bought from toyota for 30 quid, just clips onto harness then pushes into air box

dunno if its the same for a tubby but the air flow signal error is for a little sensor thats can be bought from toyota for 30 quid, just clips onto harness then pushes into air box

Hello...!

thanks for the advice.

Can you explain more about this sensor thing?? I don't remember seeing this on my Turbo, just a large harness which clips onto the AFM bit which then attaches onto the air filter?

The car has a problem in which when you go over 'certain' type of bumps, the engine cuts out for a split second and comes back in again. All electrics are 100% fine and the Apexi SAFC which runs direct from the ECU does not switch off during this time, so not an obvious electrical problem.

A friend from the U.S was over and told me he had the exact same problem withhis mustang cobra which turned out to be a bad connection between the air flow meter and ecu. After hearing this nad finding that error code 42, looks like the same type of problem???

Thanks for any help given!!

Buckie

All I know is that the AFM is detecting the amount of air going into the engine, from that i think the ECU decides ho much fuel to push through to the cylinders. obviously if this could not be detected, then i guess the car would stall !

I know the MAP Sensor may have something to do with A/F mixture but not 100 %.

If anyone can correct me or elabirate..... :D :thumbsup:

what i said doesnt apply, sorry. just noticed your on about an afm, mine doesnt have this so its a different setup.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links