Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Soft Close Doors

Smed

Hi,

Looking for some help

have a emina / lucida grey import with soft close rear door, all was working fine with it until a couple of weeks ago, it now works intermitantly, have checked the circuit breaker - all is fine, have check the connections to the motor behind the bumper - all Ok - can hear a clicking noise when pressing the release button (seems to be either near the moon roof or the offside rear quater panel) and sound a bit like a solinod working (or not). Couple of questions:-

1. is there a relay / solindo etc that controls the door

2. where is the control for the door located

3. is it easy to get to

As it is the door won't shut but we can lock it - obviously its dangerous because the fumes are getting into the back whilst driving (we have stopped using it and have to spend 10 -15 mins getting to shut which it does eventually do)

Has any one got any ideas as to the problem ?

Can I just disconnet the wires to the motor and use the door manually to shut / lock

Any help would be appreciated else we the kids / wife / me will need to buy gas masks!!

Thanks

Simon

a bit general, but.........

There will definitely be a relay controlling power to the motors. Where it is though, I have no idea.

I wouldn't have thought that you could just disconnect the system and close the doors manually though, as the mechanism action will foul the latching.

If it's intermittent it could be something like a sticky solenoid or motor.

The best I can suggest is to get it to an autoelectrician and have it seen to. If it's still an intermittent fault at the moment then it may well be repairable without too much expense.......i.e. a sticky motor can be repaired, a siezed one is replaced etc.

Don't go to Toyota though. it'll cost you a fortune. If you have a garage/mechanic you deal with regularly then ask them who they'd recommend to sort the electrics out. Word of mouth is always the best recommendation.

Sorry I can't be more help mate.

Good luck and keep us posted

Rich

Thanks for this, will have a check of the wiring as far as I can and test the motor, as you say it's gotta be some control for the thing but don't know if it's a brain (say the central door locking mechanism) or a simple relay, the hardest part is finding the little so & so's, will keep you posted

If any one else knows what / where controls other than the motor is please let me know (also if anyone has had a problem with soft close side door they might know where the controls are and it might be the same for both doors)

Thanks everyone

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this, will have a check of the wiring as far as I can and test the motor, as you say it's gotta be some control for the thing but don't know if it's a brain (say the central door locking mechanism) or a simple relay, the hardest part is finding the little so & so's, will keep you posted

If any one else knows what / where controls other than the motor is please let me know (also if anyone has had a problem with soft close side door they might know where the controls are and it might be the same for both doors)

Thanks everyone

dont know if its any help but i have a 1996 estima enima import and the boot relay is located behind the interior trim on off side roughly where the wheel arch is and its red

Thanks everyone

dont know if its any help but i have a 1996 estima enima import and the boot relay is located behind the interior trim on off side roughly where the wheel arch is and its red

Ta - will have a look :eek: and let you all know if in same position

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links