Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Little Help From Those In The Know

Paps

Hey looking for some feedback, I’m writing a marketing plan for a new automotive product, and need some opinions on the product itself. Any and all comments and thoughts are welcome.

And thanks to all those who took part in my survey by filling in the questionnaire, that’s much appreciated.

The product is a vehicle, which is intended to be developed and introduced by a mainstream high volume auto manufacturer e.g. Ford. The vehicle will be a hybrid between a kit car and a regular high volume low cost production model e.g. Fiesta. The difference between this car and a normal car is its adaptability, and scope for after market modifications. The contention is that this product will better suit a specific market sector- than what is currently available and spawn a new market area for the manufacturer in aftermarket modification products.

A provisional working title for the car is the “Evo” (I am aware that the name is already associated with an existing car- the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution series.) this should make it easier to refer to.

The Evo will be available to the general public through the conventional channels, e.g. Dealer Network etc. and presented as a completely normal, mainstream vehicle, so as to ensure the traditional buyers in this sector are not alienated. It will have a number of features, which make it unique. The most obvious being its’ clip on bodywork. Modern cars with a few exceptions (the Smart) have a steel or aluminium chassis with the steel or aluminium pressed body panels welded to it. The Evo will abandon this form of production and instead use composite materials to create a range of body styling kits, which can be clipped on to the main structure; this form of modification is used by the Daimler Chrysler group in the production of the Smart, plastic body panels with a variety of paint schemes and colours, are available through the dealer network and can be interchanged at the dealers while you wait. The Evo will go further allowing customers to not only change the colour of the car, but also the styling, front and rear bumpers, side skirts and bonnets along with roof spoilers will be available in many different designs.

So what do you think? Is the product viable from a marketing standpoint; would this technology be something you’d like to see a showroom?

I know a lot of you will have questions about the technical aspect of creating this product, but remember it’s a hypothetical product devised with the aim of writing a dissertation about the marketing of such a product. You can also email me if you've got lots to say

Ta for your help. Chrispapa2k@hotmail.com

It sounds like a very good idea in theory - women like me would love it! A car as a fashion accessory!

Match your car to your mood!

Love it! I'm sure a lot of young professional women would feel the same - I'm guessing its not a "family car" so to speak - the same size or bigger than a smart car?

My main problem with the Smart car is its size - its just too small - I love the idea of changeable fascias but thats about it!

Make it Yaris sized and hypothetically, you've got your first customer! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It sounds like a very good idea in theory - women like me would love it! A car as a fashion accessory!

Match your car to your mood!

Love it! I'm sure a lot of young professional women would feel the same - I'm guessing its not a "family car" so to speak - the same size or bigger than a smart car?

My main problem with the Smart car is its size - its just too small - I love the idea of changeable fascias but thats about it!

Make it Yaris sized and hypothetically, you've got your first customer!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Yep fiesta / Yaris size is wot im thinking something for the boy racers and the fashion conscious (pardon the spelling) although to be honest i had'nt thought of that as a potential market for this product. Cheers :D

To be a viable product, it would need to be non expensive. Changable panels for the Smart we're ridculously over priced meaning alot of people didnt buy any.

The idea of using the clip on facility for spoilers etc would definitely appeal to a younger customer, as long as it was cheap. Too expensive, and it wont sell. :yes:

Interesting concept.

Also what would build quality/repairabilty/ease of maintence be. Reason I say this is you obviously want car to have a sort of 'cult' status if so then they will need to last and be seen on the roads for many years to come (a little bit of the old Mini concept there :D ).

Interesting concept.

Also what would build quality/repairabilty/ease of maintence be. Reason I say this is you obviously want car to have a sort of 'cult' status if so then they will need to last and be seen on the roads for many years to come (a little bit of the old Mini concept there :D ).

hey thanks for your replies.

As far as cost goes i can see them being comparible to standard body kits to buy. And a sizable saving when it comes to fitting it. either DIY or at the Dealer, its going to take far less time (money) to fit a clip on kit than it would to fit a conventional kit which often needs cutting and filling etc.

Quality is the big issue, getting that right would be paramount, ensuring that the kits fitted perfectly is the key.

Repairabilty is the "Evo's" trump card, bumps and scrapes would be alot easier and quicker to repair, and ultimately cheaper, meaning lower insurance premiums for the driver.

Durability should'nt be an issue, remember many cars have plastic wings and bumpers already, and modifiers are famously fastidious about the up keep of their motors.

So it's going to be like the old Citroen 2CV then? Where the external body panels are made of plastic and just bolt on? They used to race them as well.

Succes with your plans Paps, I can't say that it's anything that appeals to me though. :unsure:

So it's going to be like the old Citroen 2CV then? Where the external body panels are made of plastic and just bolt on?

That's why it kept blowing holes when we were welding one up last week! :rolleyes: Or was that because of the almost empty CO bottle?

Yves.

To be a viable product, it would need to be non expensive. Changable panels for the Smart we're ridculously over priced meaning alot of people didnt buy any.

The idea of using the clip on facility for spoilers etc would definitely appeal to a younger customer, as long as it was cheap. Too expensive, and it wont sell. :yes:

Agree with Rach - its got to be competitively priced.

Just out of interest if all the main Shell of the body, the panels, bumper, roof etc are all interchangeable what would actually be keeping the car together - will you have an external frame?

I wouldn't see that as the sort of car boy racers would be into - maybe thats just me though - I see it as more of a young professional females kind of car (maybe thats because thats me and I'd like one! lol)

Agree with Rach - its got to be competitively priced.

Just out of interest if all the main Shell of the body, the panels, bumper, roof etc are all interchangeable what would actually be keeping the car together - will you have an external frame?

I wouldn't see that as the sort of car boy racers would be into - maybe thats just me though - I see it as more of a young professional females kind of car (maybe thats because thats me and I'd like one! lol)

well it would just be the bumpers front and rear, the side skirts, bonnet and wings which were interchangeable, clipping on the main structure underneath.

good to hear that u like the idea

If it was cheap enough, then it would be a step up from a rusty nova :lol:

sounds like its gonna cost more to insure than to buy.

Thats a really good point - what about security? If the panels and body kit are so easy to remove and change, surely they'll also be easy to pinch?

So it's going to be like the old Citroen 2CV then? Where the external body panels are made of plastic and just bolt on?

That's why it kept blowing holes when we were welding one up last week! :rolleyes: Or was that because of the almost empty CO bottle?

Yves.

What were you welding too?.. a wheelie bin i hope :P

Anyway.. would this concept mean one day we could have a hatchback then maybe an estate car.. then a wee sports car etc?.. with the interchangeable body.

I remember seeing something on Top Gar a whle back, and electric car (hydrogen powered.. used sea water or something.. no batteries just an electric motor, its a bit hazy sorry).. but anyway.. the full body unbolted interior , everything, the lot.. and could be replaced by a completely new body.

What prevents the vast majority of alloys being stolen?

The fact that they have locking wheel nuts (admittedly a rudimentary security system) and the fact that you have to jack up the car, well the same would be true in this case. The kit would be designed with certain security features in place which would make it difficult to steal.

Some one else had concerns about insurance, well light accident damage would be quicker and easier to fix meaning cheaper bills and so lower premiums.

Yves.

What were you welding too?.. a wheelie bin i hope :P

Anyway.. would this concept mean one day we could have a hatchback then maybe an estate car.. then a wee sports car etc?.. with the interchangeable body.

I remember seeing something on Top Gar a whle back, and electric car (hydrogen powered.. used sea water or something.. no batteries just an electric motor, its a bit hazy sorry).. but anyway.. the full body unbolted interior , everything, the lot.. and could be replaced by a completely new body.

Not quite, i think ur thinking of the GM "skate board" which uses Hydrogen fuel cells and drive by wire technology so u can swap the entire body for a completely new design My ideas alot more modest, simply changing a few body panels for purley asthetic reasons.

There was a Honda concept car quite a few years ago which did what Davey's just described - I can't remember its name though.

Most of my initial concerns have already been answered and I like the whole concept of interchangable body and interior panels. I'm assuming that they clip/bolt to a spaceframe of some description and aren't loadbearing?

The only other aspect that I can see that might be the high cost of tooling for injection moulding parts of that size. It has to be remembered that car manufacturers are very good at pressing sheet metal but don't have much experience in IJ moulding - they would have to make a very significant investment in new machinery. It would be cheaper if you could rotationaly mould the parts, but the surface finish would not be nearly good enough for a car buyer or manufacturer.

Spot the product designer ;)

A :thumbsup:

Not quite, i think ur thinking of the GM "skate board" which uses Hydrogen fuel cells and drive by wire technology so u can swap the entire body for a completely new design My ideas alot more modest, simply changing a few body panels for purley asthetic reasons.

Again not quite.. it did use hydrogen fuel.. but didn't run on wires.. the steering wheel could move from left to right hand drive.. no pedals.. and there was glass in the footwells.this thing costs 5 million quid lol. and it was a Vauxhaul was said to be the new vectra

I just meant the baisic idea of body swapping.

if youve got a copy of aprils Top Gear mag turn to page 140, theres an article on it. looks like a cool idea

if you could make it look quite sexy and outlandish, like say an elise or a vx220 (just examples peeps - dont start a debate) :P for a cheap price then i bet you would get loads of interest.

be even nicer if you had interchangeable engine options - not just the usual 1.2 or 1.6 or 2 litre variations but say, 1.6 n/a, 1.6 turbo, 5 litre v8,........ :rolleyes:

i appreciate size and cost would be a factor on the engines though :thumbsup:

if you could make it look quite sexy and outlandish, like say an elise or a vx220 (just examples peeps - dont start a debate)  :P  for a cheap price then i bet you would get loads of interest.

be even nicer if you had interchangeable engine options - not just the usual 1.2 or 1.6 or 2 litre variations but say, 1.6 n/a, 1.6 turbo, 5 litre v8,........ :rolleyes:

i appreciate size and cost would be a factor on the engines though  :thumbsup:

yeah i started off with that idea having a completely modular car, with standerdised interchangable features like engine, chassis, and body work. but that would hav meant alot more work, so im keeping the idea as simple as possible.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links