Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ahh Help Please!

ptiff16

HI, nothing renewed, just gone through mot ok. Have you a manual to look at please? Many thanks.

This is your engine management light.. the car needs to be taken to a garage to get hooked up to an electronic code reader.. this will tell the mechanic what the fault code is.. and he can then look the code up in his book, and find the fault.. it could be any number of things... get it checked out asap.

As well as what cfc1 says (and he's right) the light also comes on if you've run out of fuel. In that case it will come on for the next five times you start the engine once you've refuelled.

Can't imagine how I discovered that one :blink:

Get it to a garage...

A

This is your engine management light.. the car needs to be taken to a garage to get hooked up to an electronic code reader.. this will tell the mechanic what the fault code is.. and he can then look the code up in his book, and find the fault.. it could be any number of things... get it checked out asap.

Thanks everyone! I am on my way to get it checked out.....and to get a copy of that manual! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In the U.S. we have what is called OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics 2) and the "check engine" light is generally triggered by anything that could cause the vehicle to expel more emissions than it is designed to. I realize the standard isn't the same there, but one of the things that can trigger a light is a loose petrol cap. i.e. you fill the tank and forget to refit the cap all the way, or leave it off. MAF problems caused by a too heavily oiled aftermarket air filter or a faulty oxygen sensor, are also common causes.

Probably the most ironic thing about the 'check engine' light or CEL is that although the light is ominous, it's rarely a serious engine problem that triggers it.

Let us know what happens either way, so we can learn from your experience. Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links