Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lpg Rav

scwelsher

Went to the garage today to order the lpg system...the saga goes on. Alegedly because of the vvti system the valves cannot handle the extra heat, yet the systems are still available. what should I do? risk it and potentially save thousands on fuel, yet possibly blow my valves or get stung for high mileage fuel costs. If anyone can advise or tell me of Rav specific lpg tales, will be eternally grateful.

Glad I read this post!! :eek:

I'm looking to get a 4x4 and I really liked the Rav 4 but it was also a must for me to have it converted to LPG Gas fuel.

If anybody else can throw some more light I would also appreciated it very much!

Is it just the toyota's that have this problem with LPG Gas? Or is it a common problem with 4x4's?

Thanks in advanced :thumbsup:

Glad I read this post!!  :eek:

I'm looking to get a 4x4 and I really liked the Rav 4 but it was also a must for me to have it converted to LPG Gas fuel.

If anybody else can throw some more light I would also appreciated it very much!

Is it just the toyota's that have this problem with LPG Gas? Or is it a common problem with 4x4's?

Thanks in advanced  :thumbsup:

Its not a problem in general with 4x4's, its the vvti engine, apparently the variable valve systems cannot handle the extra heat generated by the propane, the fitter of the lpg system has told me that they will not fit these systems to honda vtec systems for the same reason. I tryed having a 'chat' with the guy to see if there is a possibility of fitting an oil intercooler to chill the oil going to the head, but he wasn't interested in chatting to a punter that knew a thing or two, probably a member of the teeth sucking 'gonna cost you' crew. I think that with a bit of thought the intercooling system may be the way forward, because its cooling the oil to the head and not the combustion area.

P.S maybe think of the Diesel RAV, i'm sure the other guys with the D4-D's will give you a thorough sounding.

• 1 year later...

Glad I read this post!! :eek:

Thanks in advanced :thumbsup:

hi Ive just joined the forum and this is my first post.

i am about to get a RAV-4 1997 5D Auto and I want it converted to LPG.

The garage tells me it will have to have some valve fitted that releases a lubricating agent to stop the valves and seats becoming pitted, he says there are no other problems and that he has done one before. apparently lots of cars need this "valve" fitted to protect the seats and valves.

I am goint to see the guy shortly and have it all confirmed face to face

I may not even be on the right track but I thought it worth a mention.

great site loads of info .

Cheers mick

in my humble opinion i would'nt waste money on lpg conversion better off with diesel model if fuel consumption is an issue

lpg have to have tanks fitted then you have to find somewhere to refuel :blink:

can't use the euro tunnel plus the exchequer ups the tax on it anyway

by the time the lpg conversion is paid for you could have travelled a fair way on the money saved not bothering

plus lots of good 2nd user cars for sale now the new model is out

go on treat yourselves to a newer diesel :drool:

if you need ecconomy

peteee

Hi there MLP

If you have a 1997 model, you are running the 3S-FE engine which lends itself well to gas conversion. I think you'll find that little 'valve' thing isn't quite true.

Check out the Avensis forum and chase people with CarinaE's too, there's a few had 3S-FE gas conversions as well as 7A conversion. I know quite a few taxi drivers in brum that run them on gas too.

It's the VVTi engine with tight valve clearances that cause the problems mostly.

:thumbsup:

Hi Stuart and others

Thanks for your answers

from what i can gather, It seems I would be ok to have the convertion done without the "valve " thing I mentioned I believe its called a "flash lube valve saver" or do you think I would be advised to include one

The trouble is i don't know if the valves would be affected without one, and i know its an on going extra expense to have one.

What should i do?

any thoughts, comments, or suggestions much appreciated.

thanks in advance

marshall

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links