Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Generation 7

gordypix

CELICA Generation 7

Excellent agility, high-speed stability and a class leading power-to-weight ratio all contribute to the unique Celica driving experience.

The Celica's exciting good looks are matched by its outstanding performance. A responsive sports coupé, it offers superb acceleration, exceptional agility, and secure handling.

The Celica's 1.8 litre four-cylinder engine produces an exciting 140 bhp at 6,400 rpm and 172 Nm maximum torque at 4,200 rpm. That translates into a 0 - 62 mph acceleration time of just 8.7 seconds and a top speed of 127 mph. With the modified engine that powers the exciting Celica T Sport, the figures are even more impressive - 62 mph in just 7.2 seconds and a top speed of 140 mph, where permitted. The engine that powers the Celica, Celica Premium and Celica Style uses VVT-i technology (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence). This advanced feature automatically optimises the engine's performance and efficiency, while maximising the use of fuel.

The more powerful engine of the Celica T Sport uses VVTL-i technology (Variable Valve Timing with Lift - intelligence), which delivers an even more responsive performance throughout the gears, low fuel consumption and reduced emissions.

140 Celica VVTI

Performance and Economy:

16 Valve DOHC

6 speed manual

1794 cc

140 bhp 6400 rpm

0 - 62 = 8.7 sec

Max speed 127 mph (205 km/h)

Max torque 172 nm at 4200 rpm

27.4 mpg urban

45.6 mpg extra urban

36.7 mpg combined

CO2 Emissions 185 g/km

55 Litre tank

190 Celica VVTL-I

Performance and Economy:

16 Valve DOHC

6 speed manual

1796 cc

189 bhp 7800 rpm

0 - 62 = 7.2 sec

Max speed 140 mph (225 km/h)

Max torque 180 nm at 6800 rpm

24.6 mpg urban

42.8 mpg extra urban

33.6 mpg combined

CO2 Emissions 200 g/km

55 Litre tank

HOW DOES LIFT WORK???

Toyota's Variable Valve Timing and Lift (with intelligence)

The VVT-i portion of the system continuously varies intake valve timing throughout the rev range by hydraulically rotating the camshaft relative to its drive gear. Note that VVT (without the "i") did not do this continuously. The VVL portion of the system is similar to Honda's VTEC system, incorporating two distinct cam profiles. However, the actual mechanism is quite different. Both cam lobes operate a single wide rocker arm that acts on both intake or both exhaust valves. A needle-bearing roller on the arm follows the low-rpm, short-duration, low-lift lobe, forcing both valves to open and close on that profile. The roller design and roller bearings on the rocker arm pivot help to minimize valvetrain friction. The high-rpm, higher-duration, longer-lift lobe rubs on a hardened steel slipper follower mounted to the rocker arm with a spring. Even though the high-rpm lobe is pushing down further than the low-rpm lobe, the spring absorbs the extra movement. At 6000rpm, the ECU sends a signal to an oil control valve at the end of the camshaft that puts oil pressure behind a lock pin in the rocker arm, sliding the pin under the spring-loaded slipper follower, locking it to the rocker arm and forcing the arm to follow the high-rpm cam profile.

Text sourced from Toyota's Website and from a previous CARLOSFANDANGO post. Thank You :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

For further Information see:

www.toyota.co.uk

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links