Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres

G6AArgh

HI all, well the time has come to get two new tyres for my car and i was wondering if you guys/gals had any recommendations as to which tyres to get or feedback about your current tyres. i am looking for two new 205/40/17 for the front i am currently on toyo T1 proxes but dont think there worth the money to be honest. I have had experience with yokos but there a little to soft for my pockets as a decent life is also wanted as well as tight handling, in an ideal world i would get michelin exaltos as i had these on my 205 for years and swear by them but times change and my max budget is only £150ish for the pair so exaltos are definatly out of the equasion :(

so wot u got? and how do you rate them?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd get Toyo Proxes T1-S or the new T1-R! Get over to Gold btw, Matt has a good deal going for us on tyres! :thumbsup:

I'd get Toyo Proxes T1-S or the new T1-R! Get over to Gold btw, Matt has a good deal going for us on tyres! :thumbsup:

how to save a fortune on tyres ;)

I would second Ryan's recommendation for the Proxes - the T1-S are excellent.

I am on Goodyear Eagles F1 at the moment, and have no complaints so far.

I am currently trying out 205/40x17 Kumho 712's (got em free :)) they aint too bad for the money.. well for what i use my car for anyway).

The best tyre i have used has got to be the Toyo T1-s (T1-r's are just as good by all the feedback at work)

The only advice i can give you is... If you are happy with the price of the tyres that YOU like.. stay with them.. every driver and every car (even 2 of the same make/model) are different.. what is good on one car, may NOT suit another.

Oh! and Mathew's prices will be about as cheap to the public as you will find ANYWHERE.

I am on Goodyear Eagles F1 at the moment, and have no complaints so far.

Same here, Eagle F1's :thumbsup:

i am on T1-S at the mo but dont rate the performance in the wet too much (it could be my driving) cheers for the heads up on the new discount in gold (been a long time since ive checked gold out)

Do the Eagles not wear faster than the Toyo's though or are they okay? I might get some Eagles if they wear well or as good as the Toyo's! :thumbsup:

Ryan.. every car/driver is different.. if your happy with the Toyo's stay with them.. you might be dissaponted with something else, might not be.. but.... its your money m8 :)

But Davy, I'm pretty open minded, may aswell try them! Might even suit my driving style more, you never know!

And I'll be goin for T1-R instead of T1-S if I do go for Toyo's so they are different again!

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh decisions decisions! :wacko:

The Eagles I've used are one of the longest lasting tyres I've ever used. Obviously the spec and compound of the tyre type matters a lot though.

Got Eagle Venturas on the Audi at the mo, Fronts lasting a spirited 40k each. Good enough for me

I want Goodyear Eagle F1 GDS3 things or whatever they are!

Do they last long? :unsure:

I recommend going to www.tirerack.com

Even if you do not buy tires from them, you can research which tires come in which sizes and then look at the survey results from people who actually have those tires. It's much better to get the opinions of 50, 100 or 1000 people at once on a little chart than just a handful of people on a forum. ;)

I want Goodyear Eagle F1 GDS3 things or whatever they are!

Do they last long? :unsure:

The general rule is the "better" the tires the less the longevity. Sticky rubber is what holds the road but sticky rubber is soft and wears out more quickly.

IMO Ultra high performance all season radials are enough for the majority of people for spirited driving and offer the best compromise of performance, poor weather traction and longevity.

The better the tyres, the less the longevity......couldn't have put it better myself.

Used to use Dual Compound Bridgestone Batallax tyres on my motorbike. They only lasted about 2000 miles......But it was the best 2000 miles ever!

After much deliberation, I got Dunlop SP Sport 01's fitted to the front my GTi and they out performed Toyo T1-S's and Eagle F1's. Can't remember what was on the rear.

It also appears that they had so much grip they started pulling themselves off the rims now that KidKoala owns the car and is cornering it to hell and back :rolleyes:

I tend to be cheap about tires...not too smart, but I'm a broke college student!! :wacko:

My Nissan Maxima is a good point. Right now, it has newer Firestone Firehawk SH30s on the back...but the fronts are $37 Farm-supply store specials. The redneck idiots who put them on not only buzzed my lugs on with a gun, but they couldn't get the psi correct on either tire...or within 10psi of EACH OTHER. Durr...

i think michelins last the longest time but they are not so hot in the wet, i'd say they were pretty cack in the wet actually. but in the dry/damp they are very good.

conti sport conttacts are good in the wet but crap in the dry IMO. i think dunlop and goodyear share the same compound but i could be wrong.

my mum bought Barum or something tyres, made by Continental apparently and they were crap - steer clear of them.

Remember.. people can only give you advice based on their own experiances of different tyres.. you may take someones advice only to find that the tyres are complete and utter codswallop on Your car.

The most popular brands sold where i work are... (in no particular order)

Toyo

Continental

Bridgestone

Goodyear

Michelin

Toyo's though, are by far the most popular.. followed by Goodyear F1's/

as your a trye fitter? cfc1 could you explain this to me? just been looking at the discounts in gold on tyres specificly eagle F1 its come up with two different prices and tyres both 205/40/r17 the first one is this 205/40/r17 80w the second 205/40/r17 84W XL does the 80w and the 84w XL refer to the amount that the tyre protrudes from the rim? could do with knowing this before i buy (with the discount eagle F1s are now within my budget so may as well give them a go) as there is naff all clearence between sidewall and arch now under hard cornering.

I tend to be cheap about tires...not too smart, but I'm a broke college student!! :wacko: 

My Nissan Maxima is a good point.  Right now, it has newer Firestone Firehawk SH30s on the back...but the fronts are $37 Farm-supply store specials.  The redneck idiots who put them on not only buzzed my lugs on with a gun, but they couldn't get the psi correct on either tire...or within 10psi of EACH OTHER.  Durr...

:lol:

Now..wait..

You have a Maxima *and* a Camry? :unsure:

Wouldn't it be more cost effective just to have one car?

You could have a Camry with nice tires (or tyres, even) instead of two cars.

Why two cars bro?

as your a trye fitter? cfc1 could you explain this to me? just been looking at the discounts in gold on tyres specificly eagle F1 its come up with two different prices and tyres both 205/40/r17 the first one is this 205/40/r17 80w the second 205/40/r17 84W XL does the 80w and the 84w XL refer to the amount that the tyre protrudes from the rim? could do with knowing this before i buy (with the discount eagle F1s are now within my budget so may as well give them a go) as there is naff all clearence between sidewall and arch now under hard cornering.

The XL = Extra Load.. theese tyres are a little stronger.. and are able to take more weight...but your car (Corrola) doesn't require Extra Load. What you are refering to (with sidewalls protruding) is known as a rim protector.. I'm sure the F1's don't protrude too far, just a couple of mm from the wheel itself... ASK before you buy.. it's very difficult to advice someone without seeing the car, but if you have enough room to get your little finger between the tyre and the strut... then you shuld be ok.. on the outside of the tyre.. it shouldn't really make much difference.. as the rim protector is at the point closest to the wheel and away from the shoulder of the tyre.. its the shoulder that would normally rub if there was ging to be problems..

IMHO I think you should be ok with the goodyears m8

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links