Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Someone Has Bought My Karis!

Demonic Angel

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone!!!

Karis is back - SHES ALIVE.... ALIIIVVVEEEEE!

Get this - I've been moved out of my Mums for 9 months..... an Irish guy rang Mums today - asking for me by name..... Mum says I've moved out.

He bought Karis from the insurance company and is doing her up - however he needs to speak to me to get the spare keys as he only has one....

Its really freaked me out - how did this guy get my parents number? Obviously my name is on the logbook.... but my parents address isnt - my new address is because I changed it! Surely the insurance company didnt give him my parents details? Data protection and all that?

The only place I know of that had me still registered at my parents is Listers Toyota - but they cant give out my details surely?

I'm quite spooked by it all - Mum didnt give him my number - he is calling them back tomorrow at 4pm to find out if I can find the spare key - the only key I have is the service key!

Rich reckons I should get Mum to ask where he got the number from - I dont want strange blokes calling my parents! I need to call Mum back and tell her if I have the key so she can tell this guy when he calls back at 4pm tomorrow - but apparently he wouldnt leave a name or number or anything.....

Is it me or does this sound just plain weird?? :wacko:

But hey - my Karis - aint she just a fighter! Its really weird - shes dead, well to me she is, but shes alive and is being done up...... this is such a weird feeling - this has totally freaked me out big time! :eek:

Toyota shouldnt have given any of your details out! if they did shout at them or poke them with a big stick! :yes:

Its a Yaris of course they are fighters! :thumbsup: (but you already knew that!)

does sound strange they shouldnt be able to get your details,

i would not give them the key even if i had it,

Best not to give him the key, you never know what hes like :huh:

Best not to give him the key, you never know what hes like :huh:

I've said to Mum I'll quite happily send him the key in the post but its just freaky that he wouldnt give her any details.... he wouldnt even give her a number to pass to me to call him?!

Still maybe he is worried - who knows - he can have the key if he wants but I aint meeting him in any dark alleys for it!

sounds like a trader has bought it to do it up and sell it on ,did you leave the service history in the car as your name etc would be on that .

a trader wouldnt phone the previous owner up, theyd sell it without the spare key or get toyota to make another

but apparently he wouldnt leave a name or number or anything.....

:ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :ffs: :ffs:

I wouldn't give him the time of day if he won't give you his name and number.

Tell him you will get the Police involved if he doesn't give you his name and number, as you feel he shouldn't have found your mum's name and number, ALSO if he tells you how he got it, and it turns out to be Mr.T or the insurance company, they most certainly should NOT have given anyone your details without your express permission. This guy could be a mad axe murderer.. (or worse.. a member of TOC :P ) if thats the case (that MrT or insurance company) tell them you are taking legal advice on the matter, as they could have put you, and your parents, in danger by disclosing confidential information.

Did he withold his number when he phoned?? dial 141 the next time he calls.. and,just so you know.. you can get your phone line set up to block people who call witholding their numbers. They receive a message saying the number cannot be reached because you witheld your number.. or words to that effect.

Only got a Yaris at the weekend, but I can tell you when we were looking round for cars, all the dealers were more than happy to give us previous owner details. The Toyota dealer in particular gave us the name, address, and phone number in case we wanted to call her up! It is all to do with the Freedom of Information Act!

Only got a Yaris at the weekend, but I can tell you when we were looking round for cars, all the dealers were more than happy to give us previous owner details. The Toyota dealer in particular gave us the name, address, and phone number in case we wanted to call her up! It is all to do with the Freedom of Information Act!

I have a feeling it was Listers Toyota - and if I find out it was I'll go mental because they know I no longer live there!

I have told Mum to tell him tomorrow that yes I do have a key, however can she take his name and number and I will call him back directly. I'm not happy to go through my Mum and if this guy is genuine he will give us his details.

I suspect (after much Miss Marpling!) that he bought the car at auction - is fixing it up to sell it on and only has one key. The registration plates are marked with Listers Toyota Coventry - so he calls Listers up and says "I have just bought this car at auction {reg number}, it was a write off and I only have one key - could you give me the details of the previous owner so that I can contact them for a key?"

If however he is not willing to give my Mum any details I have told her to tell him that if he is not willing to divulge any of his information then we are not interested and goodbye.

Listers Toyota are the only people who had the car registered at my parents house - because I never told them I had moved. I will not be a happy bunny if I find out they are giving out my parents personal information to strangers.

I very much doubt it would be Tesco - as I deal with them at work during claims and we know full well that we (as in us insurers) cannot divulge info like that due to the Data Protection Act that we are under, if we break it then we'd be in big trouble.

Blue

I very much doubt it would be Tesco - as I deal with them at work during claims and we know full well that we (as in us insurers) cannot divulge info like that due to the Data Protection Act that we are under, if we break it then we'd be in big trouble.

Blue

exactly! :thumbsup: But there is no way to stop him finding your address through your log book and asking directry enquiries. :angry:

Blue

exactly! :thumbsup: But there is no way to stop him finding your address through your log book and asking directry enquiries. :angry:

But the log book is registered here.... to my new address, so he would have gotten my home number. He contacted my parents - I've not lived there for 9 months! The only place I didnt change my contact details with for that car is Listers Toyota.

Blaze - you work for Toyota - is it true that you would give out personal previous owner details if a new owner asked?

No, its personal information, we cant even give out service history. if a customer wants to buy a new used car the salesman has to go through the service history with them. if the dont and they phone up at a later date, we can only give out dates and mileages! No personal info! :(

Cant understand why listers did it? (had 2 of their salesmen in our showroom aswell today!!!)

No, its personal information, we cant even give out service history. if a customer wants to buy a new used car the salesman has to go through the service history with them. if the dont and they phone up at a later date, we can only give out dates and mileages! No personal info!  :(

Cant understand why listers did it? (had 2 of their salesmen in our showroom aswell today!!!)

According to this guy Will......

..... they do!

:eek::eek::eek:

There not supposed to!  :(

If i gave out personal info id be hung!  :shutit:

Well whoever gave out my personal information is getting a personal housecall from yours truly....... the worst thing is - if it was MY info it wouldnt bother me so much - its the fact its my PARENTS info...... its got nothing to do with my Mum and Dad and Listers know I moved out and were told to remove the address and number from my records - obviously they havent - so they are doubley in the wrong as far as I'm concerned!

_Will_ - who was the dealer who gave you owners personal details?

Phone toyota customer relations up and complain! its not right and against the DPA 98

Phone toyota customer relations up and complain! its not right and against the DPA 98

I will - but first I need to know if it actually was them - evidence is weighed against them, but I need this guy to tell me. If he says Listers, I swear to god I will be their worst enemy - giving out my parents details just like that...... :ffs:

I'd be very surprised if Listers did give out personal details like that. Anyway you'll know more once he's contacted your parents again I suppose. If not, I'd tell him to forget it. Not like it's any benefit to you and he has acted strangely.

If i gave out personal info id be hung!  :!Removed!:

Dingles Toyota in Norwich. We never even bought that particular car, but other people I know have had similar experiences...

Mind you, it will surely have your details as a previous registered owner in the logbook!

sounds like a trader has bought it to do it up and sell it on ,did you leave the service history in the car as your name etc would be on that .

Oh bum... I lesft the service history in #2... I wasn't the one to go and empty the car out as it was 120 miles away, Dad got one of the guys that works for him to do it. He took out absolutely everything but the manual and service book thingy - I could have got 30-odd quid on eBay for that!

Nobody's ever phoned me up though. When I took my number plate off it the plate changed to SP53 HTV in case that helps anybody.

Cheers,

Alan

PS Hi and welcome Will - good choice of car btw :thumbsup:

Car was only 10 months old when it was written off - it never had a service history!

If i gave out personal info id be hung!  :shutit:

Dingles Toyota in Norwich. We never even bought that particular car, but other people I know have had similar experiences...

Mind you, it will surely have your details as a previous registered owner in the logbook!

Yeah but not at my parents address - I changed the address on the logbook to show my current address - Listers were the only ones who had me at my parents address - thats why I'm adamant its them..... just need proof from the guy!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links