Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

From Min To Yaris

goldmini

Hello Folks

Please be gentle, this is my first post :rolleyes:

One of the local dealers has made me a very good offer on a 1.3 5dr Colour Collection and it looks like I am going to go ahead with the deal. But I'd like a bit of advice first please!

At the moment, I get 50mpg and a range of 500 miles on a full tank from my diesel MINI. This is roughly 60% motorway, 40% city driving. Can anyone with a similar driving pattern give me an ideal what kind of mileage I should expect and what the range of the tank is (and how much it costs to fill).

I average about 450 miles a week.

The MINI is a great drive and I'm very attached to the car, but lots of niggling problems have made me want to change for something more reliable. Already missing the MINI though :(

Anyone want to give me some encouragement to make the change!?!

Regards

GM

Hi and welcome. Try a search for fuel info but to give you an idea, I'm currently getting 45mpg with an average of 30mph. That's after a weekend of driving motorways and country then a week of sloooow stop start town driving so you could probably get better than that.

Good choice of car by the way! :thumbsup:

Hi and welcome. Try a search for fuel info but to give you an idea, I'm currently getting 45mpg with an average of 30mph. That's after a weekend of driving motorways and country then a week of sloooow stop start town driving so you could probably get better than that.

Good choice of car by the way!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info - just a bit worried that I'd regret it after signing the paperwork. Was going to go for the Silver, but think Thunder Grey looks a lot sportier :thumbsup:

Go for the Thunder Grey, mate. It's an amazing colour. Looks silver(ish) in sunshine and positively glows but still stands out when amongst other cars that really are silver!

It has an almost gold tinge to it and looks great in dull, stormy, rainy weather. It's weird but true! :yes:

edit: Click on the links in my signature if you want to see what you'd be getting! : :thumbsup:

Edited by Al J

Go for the Thunder Grey, mate. It's an amazing colour. Looks silver(ish) in sunshine and positively glows but still stands out when amongst other cars that really are silver!

It has an almost gold tinge to it and looks great in dull, stormy, rainy weather. It's weird but true! :yes:

After looking at your gallery pictures Thunder is now my first choice! Reminds me of the Dark Silver colour on a mates Cooper S as well :) .

Well I'd been fond of the colour after seeing it on the T Sport. When I saw this car in the showroom, there wasn't a lot of time passed before I bought one. It also looks clean for longer than my last car (red).

Have you test driven one yet? Only way to know for sure but I don't think you'd regret it. Then I'm biased!

Al,

Roughly how much does it cost to fill up your fuel tank, and what kind of range does that give you?

Thanks again :help: !

Well I'd been fond of the colour after seeing it on the T Sport. When I saw this car in the showroom, there wasn't a lot of time passed before I bought one. It also looks clean for longer than my last car (red).

Have you test driven one yet? Only way to know for sure but I don't think you'd regret it. Then I'm biased!

Took a test drive in a 1.0 but it was a bit underpowered on the motorway. Then tried the 1.3 and it felt a lot better. Takes a bit of getting used to after driving a diesel though, felt sorry for the clutch and 2nd gear :D .

I always fill up around half way which is in the £20-25 area. Range is about 365 miles according to the trip computer but of course that will change depending on driving patterns.

Should add that my last car was a 1.0 Yaris and yes, the 1.3 is much better on motorways, revving much lower and doing a lot less work (quieter too!).

Time for bed (said Zebedee :P ) but ask on if you have any more queries and I or one of the other guys will get back to you mate. And get your dealer to show you a 1.3. Think you're already sold though. I should get commission! :lol:

Only fair to add that you obviously won't get the mpg you had with your diesel but still pretty good all the same.

Edited by Al J

Hello Folks

Please be gentle, this is my first post  :rolleyes:

One of the local dealers has made me a very good offer on a 1.3 5dr Colour Collection and it looks like I am going to go ahead with the deal.  But I'd like a bit of advice first please!

At the moment, I get 50mpg and a range of 500 miles on a full tank from my diesel MINI.  This is roughly 60% motorway, 40% city driving.  Can anyone with a similar driving pattern give me an ideal what kind of mileage I should expect and what the range of the tank is (and how much it costs to fill).

I average about 450 miles a week.

The MINI is a great drive and I'm very attached to the car, but lots of niggling problems have made me want to change for something more reliable.  Already missing the MINI though  :(

Anyone want to give me some encouragement to make the change!?!

Regards

GM

Personally I think you'd have to be insane to trade a mini, but I the Toyota will deliver on it's promise of reliability. That much I can tell you.

I'd advise you to go with a turbodiesel Yaris. Going from all that diesel torque down to 91 lbft at 4400 RPM is going to be tough. The low range punch will be noticably absent and you'll probably get worse fuel economy on top of it in a car that's not much faster if at all. At least the diesel Yaris will possibly surpass your Mini's fuel economy and give you the rewarding low-end torque your used to.

Go for the diesel or spring for a T-sport, that would be a nice consolation after coming from a Mini.

Just my opinion. ;)

Go for the 1.3 and you should average in the 40s I think. Its a shame you can't get the colour collection with the diesel engine (perfect for your blend of driving - as you know :) )

Have fun and it would be good to see you at the Scottish meets :thumbsup:

Alan

Hi and welcome! Excellent choice of car I must say! :thumbsup:

Thunder Grey is a gorgeous colour! Obviously I must also point your attention to Carlo Blue - it is also very nice - ok now I am being biased as I have a Carlo Blue! :lol:

And you are NOT insane to trade your Mini in for a Yaris. When I went to buy a new car in Jan 04 I wanted a MINI - a MINI Cooper to be precise - they tallied up all my toys and its came to £15k! I almost died there on the spot! lol

Then I went to Toyota and got exactly what I wanted in a Yaris for £10.5k! Much nicer on the old bank balance and a Yaris has never featured on Watchdog either! :lol:

I'm now on my 2nd Yaris which I bought in December - both have been T-Spirits and I love my car to death!

All I will say is if you do decide to do it, you sure have made an excellent choice (and thats not just the biase talking!)

The only think I will point out is you will be losing a lot of power going from a 1.6 to a 1.3, I mean the Toyota engines are superb but you may notice the smaller engine. However, its not really a big brunt to bear considering the car is brilliant!

to give you a vague idea I have a T-Sport, I do about 80% motorway driving however, but I am gettin an average of 44mpg (and I do drive the car quick)

the combined mpg quote given on parkers is 50mpg for the 1.3 5dr colour collection, thats with 50/50 urban and extra urban, so you should be getting around that (you wont be doing 56mph on the motorway but you will be doing more miles on the motorway so it evens out)

with my T-Sport at 44mpg av i do 275miles a week and it costs me £25 to fill up from that (at 87.9p a litre).

I know its a T-Sport but it gives you some idea on the numbers (like i say im getting 44mpg you shud be getting around 50mpg ish)

Thanks for all the advice guys :) .

After speaking about it this morning I reckon we're going to leave it for a little while. At the moment the D4D is a little bit beyond us and although there'd be no doubts about the car I'd miss the extra mpg and fuel range too much.

Once the MINI is out of warranty then I'll take another look, at which point a diesel Yaris will be next in line.

Is it okay if I stick around in the meantime though? after all the engine in my front is a Toyota engine :yes: .

hi, welcome to the club

i have a t sport, but i only seem to get around 32mpg out of it :s but then i do have an induction kit and exhaust on and tend to push her

hi, welcome to the club

i have a t sport, but i only seem to get around 32mpg out of it :s but then i do have an induction kit and exhaust on and tend to push her

where you bored charlie when you created that logo?, must of took a long time!

Ah well, I tried. :crybaby:

Seriusly though, you have to weigh up the pros and cons when buying any car. If it isn't suitable for your needs (loads of miles per week) then it makes sense to leave it I suppose. And of course stick around, there are a number of non Toyota people on here...

but we keep trying! :thumbsup:

Ah well, I tried.  :crybaby:

Seriusly though, you have to weigh up the pros and cons when buying any car. If it isn't suitable for your needs (loads of miles per week) then it makes sense to leave it I suppose. And of course stick around, there are a number of non Toyota people on here...

but we keep trying! :thumbsup:

Yes we never seem to stop selling - we should all get Toyota commission!

But yes you are most welcome to stick around - Toyota owner or not - it bothers us not!

I'm a bit late on seeing this thread but it's a shame you arent gonna get a Yaris, I used to have a 1.0L, but upgraded to a 1.3..yesterday I had a 1.0L as a courtesy car for a day and it was incredibly slow compared to the 1.3!

I get about 28-30mpg out of my 1.3! You don't want to be a passenger in my car! I do 70% town driving though.

geez you've got a heavy foot, i used to have a Probe V6 that got better mpg than that!!

i was looking for a mini as my yaris was unfortunately written off last month, but theres lots of problems with them compared to well none with the yaris, also the minis are extremly expensive compared to a yaris which seems great value for money!

so ill be buying my 3rd yaris (2nd T sport)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links