Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.6 Vvti

INNUENDO

:angry: completley wrong

please read the engine oil bible and go a google or ask jeeves with regards to "engine oil level to high" also honest john from the sunday telegraph is a good read :eek:

afaik the rear oil seal normally blows first and the front seal second and that the oil has to be high for a long time but expansion of modern oils esp fully syn due to the lack of shearing and increased stability is a known problem

many cars have a oil level sensor eg mercedes for this reason it is the high oil pressure due to high oil level that causes the problems

please ask any toyota dealer what will happen if the oil is too high for too long you will be interested in the answers

my brother is a quality manager who deals with oil seals :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hi i think i've solved my oil useage problem. I was using a litre per 1000 miles took it to my local dealer they where willing to strip down the engine once it got to 500 miles per litre. A few weeks back i went out for a few pints with a mate of mine and he said he had a oil problem with his rover 220 and he was told to use redex for a month and it solved his, so i tried it in mine after 600 miles and a bottle of redex later my oil level aint moved. The car was quiet before now i find myself tappin the accelerator at traffic lights or checkin the rev counter to see if its still running, has for outside the car you can just hear a slight purring noise 100% improvment. Has for pick up from low revs i seemed to have a flat spot around 2k which is now gone, i had the car with 25k on the clock and sufferd oil usage and a obvious flat spot at 2k for 20000 miles after spending 4 quid on a bottle of redex the car is a lot different. Maybe i'm just lucky or maybe carbon build up could be a problem with the vvt-i units has well. :rolleyes:

Silverarrow,

To blow the rear oil seal on a ZZ engine you'd have to raise the oil level by well over twice the oil level that's normally in the engine. It has to be high enough to block the oil drain hole passing through the number 5 journal that allows the high pressure oil passing out of the main bearing surfaces to drain away.

The front seal pretty much always has a head of oil against it since that is a major oil drain path back from the top of the engine down to the sump and there are several holes higher up in the block that help with blow-by gas recirculation and keep the pressure low in the crank case to prevent blowing oil seals and increase the recirculation of the blow by gas into the PCV system.

I GUARANTEE you I know more about ZZ engine operation than anyone you mentioned above

:thumbsup::thumbsup: i have no reason to disagree with what you say except you said completely wrong.

i can only pass on info which i have obtained.the point i made is that some engines have a manufacturing fault and toyota know and refuse to do a recall other than speak to dealerfor a oil check.

this has a knock on effect on resale value and moreover causes trouble for the owners in x years. my point is high oil level is not good for the engine and leaving high oil level will do damage in the long run it is clear some people do not check the oil level often and when the oil is way be low the minimum the wear and thus damage has been done hence the reason for a maximum and minimum.

i am amazed that so many have had problems with toyota with regards to oil consumption and toyota have made modified parts yet they will only do a strip down and check and possible repair ???

many people do not check the oil when cold and thus do not get a true reading this is why some cars eg mercedes have no dipstick because the owner does not allow long enough time for the oil to hit the sump ie possible over fill i agree a little over the max is ok but not good but a lot over will do more harm i am aware of a used car warranty company that refused to process a claim because the oil was 7 mm over the maxi and this was after the main agent did a service 100 miles before ???? and yes this was a toyota garage on a friends car toyota had to sort it because the service paperwork indicated the amount of oil that had been put in and yes it was 1 litre too much and yes the rear oil seal blew .

as you will know this does no good to the clutch and that had to be looked at ,the car had done 50 k but we suspect oil level had been high for a long time and the car was driven hard ie high revs (past service receipts indicated 1 litre too much on each service )and fully syn Mobil 1

i am pleased you know so much about the engines and your advice will be of help to many but its toyota that should do the correct action in explaining the 5 year engine rule and also admiting they have modified parts.

but too little oil is bad and so is too much :yes::yes::yes:

Hi, I was driving mine the other day when the engine management warning light come on.Checked the oil and it was Bare! Filled up straight away and got in touch with my dealer because it had only been serviced 3 months previous.They in turn are putting a claim into toyota just in case any damage was done to the engine for repairs,although touch wood I have'nt noticed any particular signs of damage.But the dealer did tell me that this has happened a couple of times with other people.

Mines a 2000 VVT-I 1.4 Corolla : :)

how many miles had you done in 3 months if only 3,000 miles then a defn problem :( :( are you sure the oil was at max when serviced and have you checked for oil leaks ???

when was your car regd exact month toyota have a unofficial or not in writing 5 year policy on engines is your car toyota fsh if so give them hell :thumbsup::thumbsup: and quote this site afaik and have been told timing changes need good clean oil and to the maxi level my girlfriends old micra had 2 new chains and the mechanic said its a known problem ie lack of lube.

many feel with chains if you want them to last to change the oil every 5 k and my last 3 cars have been chain driven see the mercedes owners site and nissan site

my best friend ex toyota mechanic approves of 5 k change if you want to keep the car for a long time many company owners only want the car to last as long as they run it and most of the time the leasing company picks up the tab many problems occur when the car is out of the warranty. good luck :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MY car was serviced on 18 aug 2005 @ westlands. i have now done 703 miles and on checking my oil level it was just above the minimum mark. you have probably seen from my previous posts i've been told that is normal. i dont think it is. i will be ringing westlands tomorrow and see what they say. my corolla is 1.6 vvti 2002 registered in march. i dont understand why toyota will not admit to this problem because from reading the posts here it definatley seems there is. :crybaby: i think that us members on this site should definatley get together to raise these issues. as you know some owners cars will be out of warranty and they should not have to foot the bill for any repairs due to heavy oil consumption. i queried about people saying that engines have 5 year warranty and toyota dealer said that is not true, unless they were not willing to disclose that officially.

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup: i have no reason to disagree with what you say except you said completely wrong.

i can only pass on info which i have obtained.the point i made is  that some engines have a manufacturing fault and toyota know and refuse to do a recall other than speak to dealerfor a oil check.

this has a knock on effect on resale value and moreover causes trouble for the owners in x years. my point is high oil level is not good for the engine and leaving high oil level will do damage in the long run it is clear some people do not check the oil level often and when the oil is way be low the minimum the wear and thus damage has been done hence the reason for a maximum and minimum.

i am amazed that so many have had problems with toyota with regards to oil consumption and toyota have made modified parts yet they will only do a strip down and check and possible repair ???

many people do not check the oil when cold and thus do not get a true reading this is why some cars eg mercedes have no dipstick because the owner does not allow long enough time for the oil to hit the sump ie possible over fill i agree a little over the max is ok but not good but a lot over will do more harm i am aware of a used car warranty company that refused to process a claim because the oil was 7 mm over the maxi and this was after the main agent did a service 100 miles before ???? and yes this was a toyota garage on a friends car toyota had to sort it because the service paperwork indicated the amount of oil that had been put in and yes it was 1 litre too much and yes the rear oil seal blew .

as you will know this does no good to the clutch and that had to be looked at ,the car had done 50 k but we suspect oil level had been high for a long time and the car was driven hard ie high revs (past service receipts indicated 1 litre too much on each service )and fully syn mobil 1

i am pleased you know so much about the engines and your advice will be of help to many but its toyota that should do the correct action in explaining the 5 year engine rule and also admiting they have modified parts.

but too little oil is bad and so is too much  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Please note none of my comments relate to oil consumption issues, only about the overfill you problem you commented on.

It always stuns me just how little knowledge supposed experts have regarding cars. I include dealers in this too. I've been fettling engines for the last 25 years and I find it amazing that things like "Intelligent Testers" have undermined mechainical knowledge so much that it's almost useless taking it to a dealers these days for problem diagnostics.

As to your friend who's car blew the seal after a service. I find it unlikely it was related to the 7mm overfill. Sounds more likely the warranty company trying to find any excuse to weasel out of a problem. Does depend on what engine it was though. I can't comment on this being true of every engine in existence.

i am amazed how much info some toyota dealers will admit i have over heard the 5 year rule with a dealer and a pi££ed off customer if the oil drops to the mini in a few hundred miles then defn problem.

i have known cars with 250k use a litre only every 5 k ie top up needed

however i have 2 friends with vtec engines from honda and they drink oil bot not as much with Mobil 1 fully syn

perhaps some one more technical can pass info on this ??? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i hope we can all club together to make toyota admit problems my mum has a rolla and 2 others in the family has any body on a 2005 t3 1.6 auto noticed high oil consumption my mums seem ok but i check the oil weekly for her :hokus-pokus: :hokus-pokus:

i am amazed how much info some toyota dealers will admit i have over heard the 5 year rule with a dealer and a pi££ed off customer if the oil drops to the mini in a few hundred miles then defn problem.

however i have 2 friends with vtec engines from honda and they drink oil bot not as much with mobil 1 fully syn

perhaps some one more technical can pass info on this ??? :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

i hope we can all club together to make toyota admit problems my mum has a rolla and 2 others in the family has any body on a 2005 t3 1.6 auto noticed high oil consumption my mums seem ok but i check the oil weekly for her  :hokus-pokus:  :hokus-pokus:

I've got a 2002 1.6 t-spirit manual, and my car hardly useds any engine oil, its got the standard toyota engine oil init. The cars got 17k on the clock. Car was service last november with 11k on the clock and i havent had to top-up the oil.

however i have 2 friends with vtec engines from honda and they drink oil bot not as much with mobil 1 fully syn

perhaps some one more technical can pass info on this ??? :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

i hope we can all club together to make toyota admit problems my mum has a rolla and 2 others in the family has any body on a 2005 t3 1.6 auto noticed high oil consumption my mums seem ok but i check the oil weekly for her  :hokus-pokus:  :hokus-pokus:

I've got a 2002 1.6 t-spirit manual, and my car hardly useds any engine oil, its got the standard toyota engine oil init. The cars got 17k on the clock. Car was service last november with 11k on the clock and i havent had to top-up the oil.

mine started burning oil @ about 20k

• 1 month later...

just returned from my toyota dealer. they have been measuring my oil consumption and have finally agreed there is a problem it used 1 litre in 700 miles. but the funny thing is they said i have to pay to have engine stripped so they can send measurements to toyota, if there is a problem i will get it back and if there isn't they will replace lower block.

the other thing they said was that this was first (new shape) corolla they have. i find that hard to believe after reading threads here.

see what happens. if there is any corolla 2002 owners who have had the problem as mine i would be interested to hear what happened with your dealer.

thanks

umm interesting what are toyota doing we have all seen new shape rollas with high oil consumption

it is releated to the petrol ie low sulphur content and the petrol we use is to british standards and is something the owner / driver can not change come on toyota if it was a formula 1 engine it would be fixed

moderator can we have a poll on oil consumption pls

an oil consumption poll would be interesting.

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: :yes:at last after 6 months my friends rolla 2001 vvti 1.4 is having a new short engine and new pistons

this forum has helped and a letter to what car :hokus-pokus: :hokus-pokus:

any body else with high oil consumption and no leaks push for the strip down and bore measurements

we all know its the low sulphur in the petrol that has caused this but a car engine has to be fit for purpose :thumbsup::thumbsup:

and the driver/ owner has no choice in the fuel they use ie all low sulphur

at last progress

will keep you all informed :thumbsup:

happy motoring

Silverarrow, where do you get this info about low sulpher levels having anything to do with oil consumption?

Silverarrow, where do you get this info about low sulpher levels having anything to do with oil consumption?

:censor: :censor: direct from toyota and also the same problem occurs with other engines audi and vauxhall and bmw all had this increased bore wear and a toyota uk head office customer relations manager said this when i was in a showroom picking up some spare parts.this was said in an open showroom

this is why toyota will take the eninge block number because they know which blocks will fail the only problem is when ;) ;)

Chill fella, just asking a question!!

Typically low sulpher fuels are better for oil consumption and durability since the sulpher is corrosive. I find it interesting to hear that your Toyota dealer is blaming it on low sulpher fuels.

On a legislative basis in the Uk fuels have to have less than 50ppm of sulpher and most companies work well inside of those guidelines (more like 10ppm). That's on a par with Japan so again I find it unusual that low sulpher in the fuel would cause a problem with the engine.

Hence my query as to where you heard it from

After going back and forth to my dealer will oil usage issues they took the car in last week and stripped it down. I then got a call of the service manager to say that some bloke from toyota GB had inspected the car, and confirmed that i need a new engine. I should get mine back end of this week and all should be fine. Its been a ball ache going to the dealer every 10 days or so for the last 5000 miles but its gettin sorted now. I got the car with 25k on it its now on 50k and i was using a litre of oil every 2k and it just got worse in the end i was getting blue smoke and a sump of oil was lasting around 500-750 miles.

After going back and forth to my dealer will oil usage issues they took the car in last week and stripped it down. I then got a call of the service manager to say that some bloke from toyota GB had inspected the car, and confirmed that i need a new engine. I should get mine back end of this week and all should be fine. Its been a ball ache going to the dealer every 10 days or so for the last 5000 miles but its gettin sorted now. I got the car with 25k on it its now on 50k and i was using a litre of oil every 2k and it just got worse in the end i was getting blue smoke and a sump of oil was lasting around 500-750 miles.

Glad that thats sorted out for you :thumbsup:

Did Toyota change the design of the engines about 2002 or 2003. I think I may of read somewhere on TOC forums. Some thing about a shorter block? Can anyone please explain?

Thanks

Chill fella, just asking a question!!

Typically low sulpher fuels are better for oil consumption and durability since the sulpher is corrosive. I find it interesting to hear that your Toyota dealer is blaming it on low sulpher fuels.

On a legislative basis in the Uk fuels have to have less than 50ppm of sulpher and most companies work well inside of those guidelines (more like 10ppm). That's on a par with Japan so again I find it unusual that low sulpher in the fuel would cause a problem with the engine.

Hence my query as to where you heard it from

i am chilled

as i have said before i can only pass on what i have read and been told

but as we all know on this site new parts are fitted and oil consumption is very low i have been told just a few mils per 500 miles but only time will show this

a mechanic has told me its a big problem that is kept quiet and he worked for BMW and toyota because of the cost to repair it is a reaction with low sulphur and the chemicals that have been added that cause a crossive wear reaction

my friend ;) who works as Shell is getting me all the info i will post when i have it

Cool, be interesting to hear what your mate from Shell has to say. Be interesting to compare what he has to say to the Shell consultant I was chatting to the other day. Does he work at the refinery in cheshire? might know him in a roundabout way

Mark, slight confusion I think.

Supposedly toyota changed the design OF the SHORT BLOCK. Short block is the block, crank, rods and piston assembly (as opposed to the full engine which includes the cylinder head and timing assembly)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links