Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I Wonder If It's Modded Now..

Blue84

Hi Guys,

Bit of an odd question - as you may well know the Blue got air-con fitted last Wednesday, and it is not a standard thing on the Yaris Blue so technically is a "modification" from standard. So I am not sure if I should let my insurance company know..what do you lot think? It's not a huge mod, but in the event of a claim I don't want them saying that I havent disclosed a mod or anything (posh word is in Indemnity if you're interested!).

Yes I know I do work in Motor Insurance, don't remind me of that!! Haha, just wanted your opinions first of all..

Cheers,

Blue

I'd ring them and say you're thinking of putting air-con on the car and ask what, if any, the increase in insurance would be. Then once you know what the deal is... ring thenm next day and say you've got it!

But, i'd guess they won't care.

Air con wont make a difference though - its not standard but I doubt it would do anything to your premium and I dont think you would have to declare it because its not "a mod"

Same with Sat Nav too!

I mean you can speak to them but I doubt it would do much - air con wont make your car more desireable to steal or anything.....

I wouldn't describe it as a mod.. its more of an optional extra you have deceided to add. At least thats how i would describe it to MY insurance company.

As the Aircon was included in the purchase price of your Blue, surely that value was declared to your insurance company when you changed cars and they should have calculated your premium on that basis :thumbsup:

As the Aircon was included in the purchase price of your Blue, surely that value was declared to your insurance company when you changed cars and they should have calculated your premium on that basis :thumbsup:

But the aircon on Blues car isnt as standard, it was a free optional extra from Toyota, so its not "as standard" on the car so the insurance company wont know.....

Or do you mean because it was free that it was included in the price of the car?

I'm confuuused (yet again! lol)

But the aircon on Blues car isnt as standard, it was a free optional extra from Toyota, so its not "as standard" on the car so the insurance company wont know.....

Or do you mean because it was free that it was included in the price of the car?

I'm confuuused (yet again! lol)

I am thinking that the purchase price (invoice) should have some mention of the aircon even if it was listed as "free of charge".

Like when I got my Yaris, the metallic paint was listed on the invoice as "Free of Charge" (I know its not quite the same as aircon.....but do you get my meaning?)

I'd ring them and say you're thinking of putting air-con on the car and ask what, if any, the increase in insurance would be. Then once you know what the deal is... ring thenm next day and say you've got it!

But, i'd guess they won't care.

Bingo.. :hokus-pokus:

Solves it all..

no it isnt, its a dealer option doesnt need to be declared and it is standard with yaris blues, they will have this in there database

no it isnt, its a dealer option doesnt need to be declared and it is standard with yaris blues, they will have this in there database

Not standard mate! She got it as an optional extra!

Standard on T-Spirit & T-Sport only! :thumbsup:

its standard on YARIS BLUE?

anything thats done by toyota is not a mod, my tte splitter when i put it on will not be a mod, becuase its a genuine toyota part

Snot dudey dude....

yarisblue.jpg

Its a T3 with some extras and air con aint one of them!! :yes:

Hi Blue, well, when I was buying my car, the salesman told me to make sure I told the insurance company that I had a roof spoiler and aircon fitted as optional extras. When I told them (Churchill) they just added them to the policy. No extra charge.

The funniest part was the Churchill guy asking me about the spoiler.

Him: "Is it a large spoiler?"

Me: No, it's a genuine Toyota part and it's being fitted by them before I take delivery of the car."

Him: "Right.... but is it large?"

Me: "No, it's just a small lip spoiler for the rear of the roof. It's not one of those from Halfords or anything."

Him: "Oh, well, that's alright then! No charge".

I wonder if they've had claims where an aftermarket spoiler has flown off and damaged the car behind? :eek:

Yeah, aircon is an extra on Blues and Colour Collections.

anything thats done by toyota is not a mod, my tte splitter when i put it on will not be a mod, becuase its a genuine toyota part

It's still a 'mod' to the spec that you insured the car in though. You're going to look a bit daft if you have to make a claim (Heaven forbid!) and you need to claim for a new splitter...

Insurance man: "What splitter?"

Yeah, aircon is an extra on Blues and Colour Collections.

It's still a 'mod' to the spec that you insured the car in though. You're going to look a bit daft if you have to make a claim (Heaven forbid!) and you need to claim for a new splitter...

Insurance man: "What splitter?"

yes, im still telling them anyway after my crash in febuary :ffs:

Thanks for the replies guys :D

No it is definately not standard, which is why I was gonna go for a Color Collection but cos of finance problem's they offered me a Pre-Reg'd Blue to save money, and added air-con on as a benefit free-of-charge so it would be the same as a C/Collection, without the spoiler :rolleyes:

I will ask my Section Leader at work tomorrow to see what she thinks - it's not a big thing, but when you work in claims you see how picky Underwriters get and well yeah I am prolly over-reacting slightly because of that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links