Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 7

geetoyota

Hello all - my first post here so please ignore any stupid question I might come up with. I'm currently in the process of searching for a Celica 7, 190bhp. I've noticed a number of different models for this car, of which the T sport seems to be the best.

Could anyone provide me with the differences between the 190 models. Also is there a big difference in the 190 to the 140? I test drove a 140 last week and it felt a bit flat under acceleration hence the reason Im looking at 190 models.

Thanks in advance

gee

Essentially the T Sport is just the new name for the 190 - performance is identical. The T has some cosmetic parts different as standard but thats it. :thumbsup:

The 190 is more powerful than the 140 sure - and has the LIFT technology encoroprated into it to produce the extra 50 odd horses under the hood.

Defo go and test drive a 190/T Sport to feel the difference between the 140 and 190 engines :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the celica's without spoilers. If I bought a 190 without a spoiler and had one fitted (as i think it finishes the car off nicely) do I need to make another other mods due to the extra weight on the boot?

Thanks,

gee

OK - The spoiler does add a lot of weight as such and requires for the boot struts to be of the S variety which indicates SPORT PACK and that they will hold the weight of the spoiler. :thumbsup:

Hey - welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I would definately say go for the 190 - in whichever guise......T-Sport or otherwise.

I testdrove both before I bought my T-Sport and also reckoned the 140 was a bit flat. The 190 has far more useable torque across the rev-range (but still very rev-happy.....obviously in addition to the Lift function). Have a look at the current brochure which gives the power graphs for each of the VVT-i and VVTL-i engines to confirm this.

As for the spoiler (and personally I think they need them to look best!!), I think you do need special boot struts........I think they are marked "SP" to handle the extra weight of the spoiler.

Let us know how you get on. Are you looking second hand or new?

Best of luck! :)

Ooops - just noticed Gordy beat me to it with the spoiler........anyhow - at least you know we're singing from the same hymn sheet eh?!?!

:group-cuddles:

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to buy used - but not too used. Something around 20k-30k on the clock. Seems I need to buy a sport version if there is no spoiler so the struts don't need replacing. Other than that they're basically all the same by the sound of things.

Just one more question. Is there any difference between the premium+sport pack on the 190 and the T Sport? Or is T Sport the name for premium+sport pack?

Seen a few listed at dealer web sites but as usual they are a lot more expensive than private sales. Might just risk a private sale with the savings on offer. Well I'll keep looking until I find one that looks right for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

gee

Talk to the dealer and tell them what u want, what u want to pay and see if they can do a deal for you.

At least with a dealer you can get a good warrenty and they will help out with any problems after you have bought it. My dealer HILLS of BISHOPS STORTFORD are great if I have any questions since I got my 190 from them in December. :thumbsup:

The T Sport is essentially a FACELIFTED 190 with new style front bumper and a couple of other minor non-discernable differences.

T-Sport has different leather apolstery to the rest of the range too.......a little softer and two-tone......black bolster/sides and grey main panels. Soft, very comfy and look the dogs danglies!! :)

Ok cheers for all the advice. Looking for used T Sport Celica's is proving to be quite a challenge - rarer than rocking horse doo dah!

Nah - there are loads around............ :yes:

Think my dealer has at least 2 (well he did last week) :yes:

just did a search on the toyota website for you. There is one in RRG Salford Quays but it is just under £21k with 6k on the clock.

Oakmere Toyota - £16.5k with 12k on the clock

Gordon Lamb Toyota - Sheffield 2002 £13,495 20000k

Erm thats about it from Mr T unless you want to go to leeds?

Try autotrader.co.uk. I think private buying is fine just ask around in here and people will let you know what to look out for, or cheat and take the AA with you coat me £100 but well worth it i think.

All the best with your hunt

Al

Thanks Al for that. The one in sheffield looks interesting and is aroung my price range. Have seen one near me for just over 13k with 21000 on the clock - a private sale. Sure I'd be able to knock some off that and with an AA check for peace of mind might be the way to go.

I'll let you all know if I get something sorted over the weekend.

Is there anyone on here who knows what to look for when buying one of these cars?

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Have a flick through some of the previous posts. But generally - things to look out for are usual scrapes, bumps, shut lines, tyres and alloys scrapes (signs of tracking out).

On 190/T-Sport - check that the "Lift" works properly by revving the car to 6,200rpm in 2nd/3rd gear to ensure you get a proper dose of 'shove' between there and the redline. If not it may indicate the Lift bolt has worn or sheared. If under warranty this is can be done by dealer - cost £50ish outside of warranty unless the bolt has sheared off and landed elsewhere in the engine (quite a long & expensive job). Sorry - that sounds worse than it is though and effects only a minority of cars.

Check the service history, etc. Need servicing every 20k and health-checks (oil/filter change) every 10k.

Other than that - they're pretty bomb-proof and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good luck.

Hello,

I've spotted a T Sport at a car supermarket in Manchester called The Car People. It an 03 (March) in black with 33k on the clock and full service history with Toyota. Still has 8 months warranty remaining so that'll give me peace of mind. On sale at £13k which seems about the average sort of price.

Thanks for the advice on the lift bolt Spuffington- does sound dramatic and hope no one on here has had that problem!

Off to have a look tonight or tomorrow morning. Hopefuly I'll be able to tell you all I've bought myself my first celica - certainly hope so. If I get it I'll be sure to provide you all with a photo.

The lift bolt issue was one that concerned the pre July 2001 Celica Gen 7's.

After that time all the bolts were uprated I believe but can still break under the most extreme of bad luck and circumstances.

It's not something you should really worry about as it will be covered if the car is under warrenty and I hope you take out a further warrenty anyway when purchasing from a dealer. :thumbsup:

Hi...

I'm also looking around for the same car. Does anyone know what the deal is with a Japanese import? I've had an import in the past and at times it was a nightmare to own. I'm wondering if it will be the same for a 2002 / 2003 VVTL i Celica from Japan? You can get one with about 10 / 15000 Kilometers on the clock, fully imported for about £10k- bargain...

If anyone can help with my question, I'd appreciate it.

test drive a gen 6 gt4 , then decide. :thumbsup:

Well - not many on here are gonna like this post. Test drove the t sport and was quite impressed once I got it over 6000 rpm. Nice boost in power. Was all set to buy until the dealer took me for some sort of mug and made me and insulting offer on my part ex. So that was the end of that car :crybaby:

Two days later I test drove a Nissan 200sx and just had to buy it. Performance is outrageous for the price - £5k for a year 2000. :yes:

Just thought I'd let you all know how I got on. Thanks again for all your comments and advice - I really was close to owning a t sport but it wasn't to be. I don't think I'll be racing to many 190 celicas though.

take care everyone.

gee

That's a shame but never mind - sure you will have loadsa fun in the 200 :thumbsup:

Remember where we all are if you go Toyota and come see us soon :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links