Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Imports

cfc1

A friend of mine has been looking into buying a people carrier (3 kids and another on the way) and has been looking at an imported Previa.

Can anyone tell me of any problems reguarding servicing and parts etc.. and what actually needs to be converted to UK spec (lights etc)

Parts/servicing are no problem at all. Most Toyota main dealer will service it, if they dont touch imports then there is an endless number of places that will do work to it.

Parts can be bought from any Toyota Dealer.

If the car is over 10yrs old you only need an MOT & a V5 to get it on the road.

For the MOT you will probably only need a fog light fitted and maybe have the speedo converted from kph to mph.

If the vehicle is less than 10yrs old you will need to have an SVA/ESVA done to certify the car is suitable to drive on UK roads.

:thumbsup:

As Leeky said, I think that's about it.

If the speedo is in kph, I don't think it even has to be converted, as long as it's got mph indicators on the speedo fascia....

As Leeky said, I think that's about it.

If the speedo is in kph, I don't think it even has to be converted, as long as it's got mph indicators on the speedo fascia....

Doesnt even need that as both my imports are KPH only

but you will need a fog light but any good importer will do that for you.

and he may want to disconnet the speed bell as mine drove me nuts after a week :thumbsup:

So lucky that you all even have a feasible import option.

U.S. laws on this are incredibly draconian. The grey market was killed deliberately in the early 1980's when the U.S. made all of it's standards stricter and different from the rest of the world. The prevelant rumor is it was really only done to protect our struggling domestic auto industry more than anything. Pretty sad though.

Literally, the only way you can import a car here is if you replace all window glass, lights, indicators, gauges and fit American spec bumpers front and rear, and thats assuming there is an American market version of the car to get those parts from. Then the motor has to be EPA certified somehow. If there is not an American market version, then you have to provide THREE examples of the car for crash testing by the NTHSA on top of all the other requirements. It's completely absurd.

Only other way is if you are a scientist doing research (very limited legal annual mileage) or a foreign national (after one year the car has to be sent home or DESTROYED!) or a foreign diplomat (you can have you car here, but you may not sell it to anyone)

Sad and pathetic. So many nice cars we'd love to have.

I remember seeing a hoto of a federalised McLaren F1 - it was horrendous, but the idea was that you stuck all of this crap to it, took it for its test, take it home and strip it all off again :rolleyes:

A

Ok thanks people.. just what i wanted to know. As long as he can get parts ok.. and get it serviced without any problems (a lot of places won't even do a non imported previa because it's a pain to work on the mid range engine). then it looks like it could be an option for him.. the imports he is looking at have all been converted to UK spec and will have a new MOT.

He is also thinking of an Espace or a Galaxy.. i said he should be thinking of keeping his pants up :lol:

U.S. laws on this are incredibly draconian. The grey market was killed deliberately in the early 1980's when the U.S. made all of it's standards stricter and different from the rest of the world. The prevelant rumor is it was really only done to protect our struggling domestic auto industry more than anything. Pretty sad though.

Literally, the only way you can import a car here is if you replace all window glass, lights, indicators, gauges and fit American spec bumpers front and rear, and thats assuming there is an American market version of the car to get those parts from. Then the motor has to be EPA certified somehow. If there is not an American market version, then you have to provide THREE examples of the car for crash testing by the NTHSA on top of all the other requirements. It's completely absurd.

Only other way is if you are a scientist doing research (very limited legal annual mileage) or a foreign national (after one year the car has to be sent home or DESTROYED!) or a foreign diplomat (you can have you car here, but you may not sell it to anyone)

Sad and pathetic. So many nice cars we'd love to have.

When i was looking into importing a car i thought our tests etc were steep!

you laws etc are crazy!

CB :thumbsup:

He is also thinking of an Espace or a Galaxy.. i said he should be thinking of keeping his pants up :lol:

If he looks a bit further afield than Toyota.............Mitsubishi Delica is the best people carrier I've ever seen !

I was under the impression that you could also bring a vehicle into the USA as a collectors car/show car.......although this would probably limit you to 20 miles a year or something equally daft.

I was under the impression that you could also bring a vehicle into the USA  as a collectors car/show car.......although this would probably limit you to 20 miles a year or something equally daft.

Yep, you can do that if you are a registered importer or own a car museum or something. It's similar to doing research. Like you said, very lmited miles per year.

The only other way around the laws is to import something quite old. Say 30 years old or more. You could import like an old classic Austin-Healey for example, without too much trouble.

Screws those of us who like the idea of at least being able to choose from among the many models not avaialble here though.

I for one would have liked a shot at one of the newer turbodiesel Alfa Romeos, for example...among thousand other things. Volkswagen Golf and Golf Plus appeal to me, especially the 140 bhp 2.0 TDI versions with 4Motion. Then there are all the Japanese models, most of them are RHD though so they'd be no good for me anyway.

If he looks a bit further afield than Toyota.............Mitsubishi Delica is the best people carrier I've ever seen !

and there is one on auto trader that looks quiet nice.. in his price range too.

What price range is he looking at as i know of a nice facelift Lucida for sale?

What price range is he looking at as i know of a nice facelift Lucida for sale?

4 - 5 grand.. but it looks like he has opted for a renult laguna estate (7 seats)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links