Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

17s Or 18s

kirst_ie

The wheel size and tyre size are certianly linked to handling and acelaration no doubt! the total circumfrance playes very large.

No doubt small wheels can turn faster than big wheels, yep basic stuff that I am comfortable with.

When you combine a package such as a lowered and stiffened suspension kit, and relpace good old 185/70/16 with 225/40/18 you get far better handling than when you started off with. The tyre is stiffer and wider than the one on the 16inch wheel

I wonder to what degree people think that the accellerations and handling ability of the car would be altered by changing the wheel size, take a Gen 6 with 16,s what percentage of accelaration would it lose by uping the wheels to 17's and then further by 18's

What percentage of the handling ability is degraded by upping the wheel size? Can anyone do the numbers on this or even hazzard a guess?

A very basic explanation. Heavy wheels causes extra unsprung weight which is very detramental to handling and acceleration. Adding four heavy 18's is a bit like adding a massive flywheel... its really hard work for the engine to turn.

Tyre flex acts like suspension. Take out the tyre flex completely i.e. use rubber bands tyres and u lose a lot of suspension. Its all about compromise. Obvisouly the standard 15's or 14's have a bit too much tyre wall (and therefore flex) so lean the car in corners causing it to lose grip. 16's seem like a good all rounder.

Remember some cars dont have suspension... just tyres!

everyone is more worried about the size of the wheel than they need to. Most wheels work out the same size when you consider that bigger wheels have lower profile tyres. the original 15" wheel and trye put togeather are almost exactly the same size as my 18s. the only difference is that the 18s are wider. i have no acceleration loss and much better handling round a corner.

18s fit so perfectly on the gen 6 lowered 40mm. As long as you can afford that little bit extra they are well worth it :thumbsup:

Hi guys, hopefully the following FACTS should help clear up any misconceptions and allow people to make their own decision based on what their priorities are in terms of driving and looks.

Check out:

Up-sizing Wheels

(Note: There's a typo in the first point - the brake distance increases!)

The better handling many people associate with having larger diameter wheels is often due to the lower profile tyres fitted to keep a sensible circumferance.

You have to weigh these things up because there is always a trade off when you modify something a car company has spent millions developing!

James

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links