Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Tyre Uneven Wear Help

Neil Roberts

I've a two year old Varis Verso Auto. Rear passenger tyre has worn on the inside edge. Not illegal yet but only this tyre has worn. Just had it's 40K service and Toyota say nothing wrong. Said that the tyres are a thin type ? and with them being Alloy this can happen. I've never heard of this before and we never had it on the previous Yaris Verso. Wonder in it is suspension or spring maybe. Anyone else had this.

Thanks

Neil

Dodgy wheel alignment maybe? When was the last time your wheels were aligned?

It was only in for service yestereday and I asked them to check it, they said all was well. Would the alignment only affect the front though. Thanks

It was only in for service yestereday and I asked them to check it, they said all was well. Would the alignment only affect the front though. Thanks

No they do 4 wheel allignment bearings and bushes go and stuff like that! :thumbsup:

Get it checked

No they do 4 wheel allignment bearings and bushes go and stuff like that! :thumbsup:

Get it checked

I'll book it back in to the Main Agent. Cheers Neil

Laser wheel alignment only adjusts the front wheels on a Yaris. I'm unsure mate, have you checked what your tyres pressures are like? That could be a cause! :thumbsup:

... Just had it's 40K service and Toyota say nothing wrong. Said that the tyres are a thin type ? and with them being Alloy this can happen. .......... Wonder in it is suspension or spring maybe.

Thanks

Neil

:lol::lol::lol:.. never have i heard such :censor: "thin type".... thats a new one for me :lol: .. and alloy wheels won't be causing it either!.

As for bushes, springs, and shock absorbers.. they can cause this if they are worn, as can a wheel bearing.. but these SHOULD have been picked up during the service.

Wheel allignment:- I'm sure the yaris verso has a solid rear axle, and as such isn't adjustable.. if the springs etc are ok.. the only other way to find out the problem would be to take it for a full geometric check (don't go to Toyota.. will cost a fortune).. this check will tell you where the car is miss alligned.. and the mechanic should be able to advise you on how to fix it.

My money (if springs, shocks etc, are ok) would be on a bent rear axle... quite common on torsion bar suspension... hitting a bad pothole is all it takes to bend it a couple of mm, and a couple of mm is enough for it to wear the rear tyres unevenly.

Get it checked

Hi Neil,

I have a Yaris Verso 53 reg and had to replace front tyres after 25k and the rear ones need replacing soon and I have only done 30k, I was told by my local dealer that my car is fitted with step tyres, they have more tread in the middle than they do on the sides, I live in Telford and there are lots of roundabouts so they will wear more on the sides than the middle, not sure if this is a load of tosh, but he seemed convincing. My new tyres are wearing evenly, so it could be true, tracking is fine.

Hope this is of help to you.

Regards

Palavea :thumbsup:

In over 15 years as a tyre fitter.. i've never heard of step tyres. The only tyres i can think of that are anything like what you are saying are Kwik-Fit's own brand... they have around 5mm of tread in the centre, and 8mm of tread on the edges.

Most new car tyres come with 8mm of tread right across the whole tread, and, periodically (about every 8") they have tread wear indicators, these are little markers down in the tread that sit 1.6mm (legal limit) from the bottom of the tyre, if you look on the shoulder of the tyre, you will either see a little triangle, or the letters TWI (tread wear indicator) opposite these markings (on the tread) are the wear indicators.... In my opinion these "step" tyres they are on about, must be cheap tyres, designed to wear out, or give the appearance of being worn out, quicker than most other brands, this way the retailer gets your money out of your pocket when any other tyre would still have about 3mm of tread left.

Some tyres differ in construction from make to make.. some have a square shoulder, while others have a more rounded shoulder. A square shouldered tyre might last a little longer on a car that wears tyres out on the edges, but will give off a little more road noise, and won't be as comfortable a ride as a tyre with rounded shoulders. (hope that makes sense). Step tyres? nah!, i think you are being led up the garden path.. i haven't done this, but do a google search for "step tyres".. i bet you will be hard pushed to find a particular tyre classed as a step tyre.

Advice time.. when you are buying tyres, buy a make that is fairly well known, preferably one of the top brands.. after all, you get excactly what you pay for.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links