Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mechanical Help

jay dh

my dad has a V reg yaris freetronic.

the car was chugging a bit for a few weeks and he thought nothing of it as the car isnt a smooth one cos of the gearbox. he then took it to toyota as the service light came on, who said the car had missed a normal service and needed spark plugs and air filter changed. he changed them and the problem still existed, then ran some check and found the lean burn sensor had gone. had this changed.

service light came on again and took it to them. they said as the lean sensor had gone this had caused the CAT to go on the car. my dads accepted it as it was his fault for not checking the service date. toyota are charging him £750 to replace the CAT. this i thought was a huge amount of money. went to a local garage and they said they cant get hold of Yaris CAT's as there is no demand so their supplier does not make them. he is going to try Kwik fit (last resort). apparently if kwik fit dont sell them he would have to go to toyota

i dont have a reason to doubt toyota over this but is there no other way to get a CAT cheaper?

has anyone had a problem like this before? if so advice would be helpful.

my theory must be right-toyotas dont go wrong, so toyota charge large sums for the one time it does go wrong!

cheers

Jay

my dad has a V reg yaris freetronic.

the car was chugging a bit for a few weeks and he thought nothing of it as the car isnt a smooth one cos of the gearbox.  he then took it to toyota as the service light came on, who said the car had missed a normal service and needed spark plugs and air filter changed. he changed them and the problem still existed, then ran some check and found the lean burn sensor had gone.  had this changed.

service light came on again and took it to them. they said as the lean sensor had gone this had caused the CAT to go on the car.  my dads accepted it as it was his fault for not checking the service date.  toyota are charging him £750 to replace the CAT.  this i thought was a huge amount of money. went to a local garage and they said they cant get hold of Yaris CAT's as there is no demand so their supplier does not make them. he is going to try Kwik fit (last resort). apparently if kwik fit dont sell them he would have to go to toyota

i dont have a reason to doubt toyota over this but is there no other way to get a CAT cheaper?

has anyone had a problem like this before? if so advice would be helpful.

my theory must be right-toyotas dont go wrong, so toyota charge large sums for the one time it does go wrong!

cheers

Jay

You have said it all (but I cannot really agree with your theory)

Yariis do not usually chugg..................They do not usually go wrong......unless you miss out the routine servicing....................an expensive lesson learned?? :(

Try this website for cheaper Yaris Catalytic converters http://www.autobits.co.uk

They currently have stock of cats .....one at £215-39 (3 year warranty)

and one at £162-51 (2 year warranty)

I have no connection with this company.....just looked it up on Google :thumbsup:

Alternatively try Buy Parts By - Telephone 0115 983 5280

They list a Cat for Yaris 1.0/99 onwards at £127-57 + VAT (Their Part No 90727) - 2 year warranty ceramic

or, £167-55 + VAT (their Part No 60727) - 3 year warranty steel

Hope this helps you and your dad :thumbsup:

or sports cat from envy :D

I didn't think the sports cat fitted the 1.0 litre

thanks very much people, the warrenty isnt so much of an issue as my dad is getting the new yaris when it comes out but handy to know

i will look into those companies

Jay

is there a separate CAT for the freetronic or do all yari have the same CAT?

cheers

or sports cat from envy :D

I didn't think the sports cat fitted the 1.0 litre

They don't Steve, Matt is talking rubbish once again! :rolleyes:

Damn good points!

Get it checked at a local exhaust place before you take toyota's word that it needs a new CAT... £750 is a lot of money... the part CAN'T cost more than £400 to manufacture and ship to the UK... A performance part made with Stainless steel and made to a higher standard costs less than that. Also, if they say labour charges have gone up, tell them it takes less than 2 hours to replace a CAT...

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links