Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4wd To 2wd

jacksons luck

My wife drives a 1998 Auto RAV4 which only goes off road when she parks on the pavement!

The new RAVs are made with a 2WD option. Is it possible to do this on this 98 RAV by removing the prop shaft to one axle? If so which one? The auto gear box has an ECU, could this present a problem? The idea is to improve the fuel consumption.

Errol Stagg

Look at the top of the 4x4 section, Rav 4's have a new section.

Not a good long term mod, if it was built to be all time 4wd, not sure what centre diff setup you have.

Don't forget there are three differentials. Front, centre and rear.

It's not just a case of removing the prop shaft, because there is the centre diff to think about. Don't know about the auto model, but mine has a centre diff lock. So theoretically it would be possible.

So on mine the centre diff would have to be permanently locked, and the propshaft disconnected. You've still got energy loss through the centre diff though. So really you are only kinda saving the energy loss of one diff.

If you wanted to do a full 2WD conversion, then that would be awkward too. They weren't sold in 2WD form in britain until the mk2 as far as I know. So the parts would have to come from elsewhere.

I know, i've gone on and not really helped much! Hope some of this has helped though.

:thumbsup:

My wife drives a 1998 Auto RAV4 which only goes off road when she parks on the pavement!

The new RAVs are made with a 2WD option. Is it possible to do this on this 98 RAV by removing the prop shaft to one axle?  If so which one?  The auto gear box has an ECU, could this present a problem? The idea is to improve the fuel consumption.

Errol Stagg

The new RAVs are made with a 2WD option. Is it possible to do this on this 98 RAV by removing the prop shaft to one axle?  If so which one?  The auto gear box has an ECU, could this present a problem? The idea is to improve the fuel consumption.

Errol Stagg

Thanks for all the responses. On closer inspection there is only one propshaft - auto box to rear axle. The front wheels are driven via drive shafts coming straight out of the gear box.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links