Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buttons - What Do They Do?

twism

Hi there

I am new to this site but I need your help.

I have just purchased a Mk2 supra 2.5 twin turbo (import).

I got it for a very silly amount and it has been lowered and has a 5" exhaust.

The problem I have is that I dont know much about the car and it is an automatic. It has 2 buttons next to the gearstick, one is PWR and the other is ECTS MANU.

What do they mean and do?

Thanks for helping out an idiot.

Ryan

Hi Twism

the ECT is Toyotas Electronically Controlled Transmission and basically is a sports mode for the auto box that allows you to get the maximum from power from the engine before it changes gear.

Not sure about the PWR one though, I'm sure one of the Supra guys will give you a more detailed description soon :thumbsup:

Hi.. I've got a 2.5tt auto as well.

The gearbox is a bit of a crossbreed between the mk3 and mk4 boxes, and also a bit of soarer gearbox thrown in. Its *only* used in the JZA70 (your car) and as such info and spec is impossible to find (for future reference its an A341E )

Anyway, buttons..

The 'manu' is there to lock and hold the gearbox in the gear that the stickhift is placed in ..for example try pressing 'manu' and the stickshift in position 2, then drive off.. it will start off in second gear instead of first (you can hit 80 or 90mph without a gear change :D ) .. the ECU still has some control over this but you get the basic idea.

'pwr' does a couple of things.

1) it holds the revs higher between shifts, changing the shift points.

2) it enables quicker shifts between gears by preventing the ignition !Removed! that normally happens when going between gears (your box in normal mode reduces engine torque when changing gears to prevent harsh shifts)

3) it does *something* to the lockup points, although im not sure exactly what.

Anything else you want to know about the car just ask..

Im putting together a comprehensive website on the JZA70 at www.jzasupra.com although its far from finished (only 'myjza' works at present, but theres still oads of useful info in that section).

Also, if youre in the UK check out the mkiiisupra group at www.mkiiisupra.net and follow the link for the forum.

adi

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links