Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ran Outta Petrol

admanirv

Hi,

I was dribing today and i noticed the car was running sluggish, it started to judder and i looked at the petrol guage and it was empty, the car conked out on me, so i just switched it off and didnt attempt to drive off until i out more petrol in put about £7 worth in and light went to 1st bar.

i simply forgot i was kicking myself ive been so much overtime at work i simply forgot!, anywyas do you think id of caused any damage to my engine, im thinking it mayb has sucked all the crap out and depostied in the petrol filter??

how much would cleaner cost or at worst new filter, would those injector/engine cleaner "red ex" products be benifial now? i ahve used them in the past.

any ideas

cheers

If you didnt drive off after putting some more in I dont see that you could've caused damage. Not sure on the prices of a new filter/cleaner, sorry.

Sorry mate, but all I can say is

TIT :lol:

How could you not notice that the fuel guage was low? And 'being busy' shouldn't really be an excuse for not getting any petrol. WHat if you'd been on a motorway?

I guess the amount of crud in the bottom of your tank is related to how many miles you've put onto the car.

You get fuel cleaners for less than a tenner these days - I think I'd try some. As for filters - they appear on eBay from time to time - recent one went for about 20 I think.

Give MrT a call and see what they say would be my suggestion

:lol: agreed with ross, nice one dude :thumbsup: cant say ive ever run out, come very close tho, that thee car is juddering and acting very slugish, miss judged fuel on a trip home once, lukily petrol station was right round corner when it happened so pulled in and walked round to it

You can't help but see the bugger flash!

Not that I can talk, I've been in a similar position myself, although my car didnt conk out on me, I pulled over by the Jag factory in Cov because my fuel guage was showing 0 miles so I panicked and rang Rich to get me some petrol! :lol::lol:

Unlucky dude.

Not done it in the car, but have done it on the bike. Doesn't help that the bike doesn't have a petrol gauge, and I'd forgotten to look at the trip meter.

Oops! :D

If its any consolation, I once ran out of diesel in #2. As always happens it just happened to be the 1 journey in about 500 where I didn't have my phone with me and I'd taken a detour on the way home from work.

As the car was still quite new I cranked it a bit, waited, cranked it a bit and thankfully, as I had just managed to coast to the flat before stopping the diesel was back in the fuel line and it started. The 2 mile downhill drive to the petrol station was very economical!

It happens to us all at some point...

A

Doubt you would have done any damage-as you didnt start it again - and as rob pointed out to me the other day - your fuel feeder pipe is in the bottom of the tank so you dont have to worry about crap accumulating at the bottom ;)

Just thank god you didn't run the diesel completely dry. If I remember correctly you need to get the pump properly re-primed on a diesel hence you can't just refill the tank you have to get the dealer to reprime them.

To be honest you shouldn't have done any damage. Only thing that could cause a problem is if you got a really bad back-fire you could damage the cat but doesn't sound like you got anything too bad

Yeah, I know but in the heat iof the moment I totally forgot about how to prime it properly...

Not to mind though, the poor thing met its nasty end not too long after :(

A

Just thank god you didn't run the diesel completely dry. If I remember correctly you need to get the pump properly re-primed on a diesel hence you can't just refill the tank you have to get the dealer to reprime them.

To be honest you shouldn't have done any damage. Only thing that could cause a problem is if you got a really bad back-fire you could damage the cat but doesn't sound like you got anything too bad

ah thats ok, ill be ripping the cat out soon!

thanks for ur info :thumbsup:

Cheers guys

sorry mate. but wot do you expect when you post somethin like that up on here. people obviously are gonna rip ya

wasnt meaning it sarcastically, was just saying for info so far, i dont care if people think im silly as alanbradleys says, just totally forgot and said to my self ill fill it up later.

mind you 6am till 8pm for the last 2 week off overtime, i cant be ubikd doing anything but goto bed :(

lol plonker :P

Em.. when the range says 0, dont believe it.. you will have had enough petrol to get to the next petrol station..

Iv driven 30 miles on an "empty tank"

lol plonker :P

Em.. when the range says 0, dont believe it.. you will have had enough petrol to get to the next petrol station..

Iv driven 30 miles on an "empty tank"

Apparently so Matt, but I panic if I see a big fat ZERO - car shouldn't lie to me then! :lol::lol:

as said, petrol tank 'crap' is a myth! where is the pickup! :P

wont do it any damage, fill it up and away you go, only diesels can be problematic with this happening

i did that two weeks ago. i knew it was flashing, i just couldnt be ubikd to stop , because it was raining and cold. i did about 60 miles when it was flashing!

put couple of litres in, drove away. wont damage anything. i just laughed. and got a bit of stick at work. but ey i dont care. ha ha ha

Ive never run out, kind of the fact that theres a fuel gauge and a fuel light. lol could have been worse mate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links