Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weird Smell!

Ryan1985

Had my 70k service last week and they told me I need a new alternator (no reason given), I need a new PAS belt 'cos its worn and my front left wheel bearing was noisey and needs replaced apparently.

Anyway, driving around today and I smell a kind of burning smell and never really thought anything of it 'cos it came and went. Picked up my dad and he smelled it aswell and when we got home we had a look and sniff about and it was coming from the front left wheel. Is it the bearing that's causing the smell? Do I need to replace it immediately?

Any help appreciated! :thumbsup:

P.S. Sorry for the mini essay there! :rolleyes:

bearings generally just get noisy, then fail. if its failed it could be causing a lot of heat. jack up the front corner + turn the front wheel by hand and then do the same on the good side, also check for movement, up down, left right movement. anlso you could drive it + see how hot the hub is.

i'd just replace it, if its going, its going. for the price of a wheel bearing its not worth it.

Is there any fresh greese on the bearings.. or around the hub?.. maybe its the grease your smelling. I have never heard of a worn wheel bearing smelling.. and in my job i see plenty of them.

I'll be doing about 50 miles 2mo? Is it okay to use it? :huh:

I'll get it checked out 2mo after uni! :thumbsup:

Is it a big job btw? Toyota quoted me £24.06 for the part and £122.50 for the labour which I'm guessing is an absolute bump? :ffs:

Should I be driving about in it earpl? I'll try my best to take it in 2mo and get it checked out and hopefully book it in to get the bearing replaced.

Is there anything else it could be or is it almost definately the wheel bearing?

:thumbsup:

Didn't see that one coming! :rolleyes:

Now back on topic or earpl will spank you! :P

already have ;)

like you said on msn you bent down to smell it, and it was very hot. get it done asap, i've known bearings to lock up when they fail. otherwise its not safe hence they wont pass an mot with worn bearings

it may be worn and getting hot causing the smell

if it is to collapse, itll leave you in the s**t

Took it to my local, small, cheap, family run mechanics today and he's going to check it out and probably replace the bearing and doing anything else that needs done. I'll report back later and tell you how much it should be i.e. not silly Toyota prices! :thumbsup:

Cheers for the feedback folks! :)

Okay what side is nearside?

I thought it was the side nearest the kerb? The mechanic geeza is replacing the drivers side bearing 'cos he said he could hear it whilst driving it.

That still doesn't explain the weird smell from the front left wheel then does it?

:wacko:

I'll report back in 15 mins when I pick it up! :huh:

I know earpl. Toyota wrote in their report thingy that the n/s/f wheel bearing needs replaced as it's noisey so I thought I'd get that done and thought thats what was causing the smell 'cos thats where the smell came from.

As it turns out the mechanic guy drove it and within a 100 yards he said he heard the drivers side bearing needed replaced so he done that.

All in all that doesn't get me any nearer to finding out what the smell is!

Also in Toyota's report thing they said I need a new alternator and a new PAS belt, could any of these be causing the smell? I doubt it and I'm pretty sure the smell is coming from the n/s/f wheel!

:ffs:

The nearside is the side nearest the kerb.. passenger side.. because you drop passengers off near the kerb.

If one wheel bearing is worn, the other might not be far behind.. this is one of the things i prefer to do as a pair.. if you can, get both done anyway.

As for the smell.. maybe the belt being worn is causing it to slip a wee bit.. the slipping could be causing friction.. friction = heat.. heat = burn.. ach, you know where this is leading dont you, get the belt changed and hope thats the problem.. it's a process of elimination it seems .

I'm gonna be mega skinto! I'll just get the PAS belt changed anyway, didn't really want to though as its getting sold around March time but I can't sell it when it smells as if its on fire! :(

Edit: The smell is coming from the wrong side too, the belts are on the drivers side and the smell is coming from the passenger side! :wacko:

Can you descibe the burning smell your experiencing ?

Rubber and oil smell completly different and so does grease for that matter.

Have you noticed any excess oil or grease anywhere around the front end ?

Can you descibe the burning smell your experiencing ?

Rubber and oil smell completly different and so does grease for that matter.

Have you noticed any excess oil or grease anywhere around the front end ?

Dunno, not really into my smells mate! :wacko:

Any excess oil or grease? Do you mean on the ground where my car has been sitting overnight? Couldn't say, its not been dry here for a good 3/4 days! :(

I'll try and describe the smell 2mo the best I can.

Ok... it's just that i've have smelt a wheel bearing (or any other type of bearing for that matter) burning...

Grinding noises and getting hot to the touch..... yes.... but burning.... no (unless it's been squirted with oil)

There ain't no pipes or cables touching the engine or exhaust is there?

If possible, could you tell us exactly where the burning smell is comming from i.e near the wheel or inside the engine compartment.

The oil and/or grease maybe on your brake calipers......

Don't think so, went out 2nite, opened the bonnet, revved it to redline a couple of times and got out and had a smell and nothing.

It must have something to do with that n/s/f wheel. Although, I took it a run, slammed on the brakes a few times, jumped out the car and smelt both wheels. They both smelt the same (pads warming I guess) but the n/s/f had a stronger smell that the other side! Disc binding or something along they lines?

Also, had it up on a ramp today, well the mechanic did and he could see nothing out of place.

:thumbsup:

Take it for a break test... (any MOT station can put it on the rollers) if there is any binding they can tell that way.

I think its definately a brake issue. Went a run to the shops without any hard braking and got out and hardly any smell. Took the same road home, slammed on the brakes a couple of times and you could smell it inside the car and then I got out and the smell was overpowering.

Any idea's? Some kind of cylinder maybe? Don't think my pads or disc's are worn as I've just had it serviced and there were no issue's with them.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Like cfc1 said, go and get a brake test done.....

How do the brakes feel under braking? normal or a bit spongy?

It could be the brake fluid boiling up under hard/aggressive braking....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links