Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Bulb Help

reflexboy

Hi-My mate has just bought a 1994 Rav-4. The dash backlight which illuminates the right hand side of the speedo and the fuel gauge has blown..Does anyone have any idea how to take the dash apart to replace the bulb? Any help/pics much appreciated.

Hi-My mate has just bought a 1994 Rav-4. The dash backlight which illuminates the right hand side of the speedo and the fuel gauge has blown..Does anyone have any idea how to take the dash apart to replace the bulb? Any help/pics much appreciated.

Come on-someone must know???

• 3 weeks later...

Come on-someone must know???

Hello. I have a 98 rav4 (but not sure if yours is exactly same as mine since in different countries, the years don't always match).

I've taken the dash out. Briefly I can explain, but I strongly recommend you have a professional look after this.

http://public.fotki.com/416RAV/myrav4/

You can see I have done a mod to my dash. Long story short - I bought these reverse gauges and the description said it fit my car. :eek: It looked fine until I got it. ***** didn't refund my money so I had to do SOMETHING. I am no professional, so I cannot be responsible to any damages you may bring to your car. However, I can tell you that my car was not damaged in any way.

Anyway... it's been a while... let me remember... you will first need to find where the screws are located on your dash. Best is to start from the bottom driver side of your dash - so that'd probably be near your fuses. If you follow along, you can find where the screws are bolted in. You'll need to take out the screws holding the dash in place. I am no professional. I just briefly unscrewed everything that seemed to hold the dash on the driverside until you can prye it out. Be careful you don't pull too hard because you'll have various wires attached to the car still. In the case of my car, as far as I remember, I had to take out the 1)dimmer on the driver side, 2) clock, 3)A/C switch, 4)ECU switch - if you have, 5) Hazard signal. OK, now keep in mind, this is as far as I remember and this was for MY car so you may have more or less to detatch.

As for detatching, all these wires are assembled in a way so you can detach them. Have one look and it should come to you.

once you're able to pop the dash off (i didn't remove mine completely, I just let it hang on the steering wheel) you will now have to remove the screws holding the gauges. There's one visible screw to remove the black panel covering the gauges, and it's a little tricky... you have to find a way to remove it... BUT BE VERY CAREFUL since this CAN break the pin on your gauge (the one you use to check and reset your Odometer) so be careful and make sure you don't break it. It was difficult, but this plastic is fairly durable so I don't think you'd have to worry about the dash or gauge surround breaking. Once you've removed that, you have several screws surrounding the gauges. I can't remember how many... 6 or 8 I think... make sure you keep your screws apart or know which goes where. Once you finally remove all the screws, you have to unclip the wires into the gauges. Same idea as the dash where you have to disconnect them. These should be easier since they're bigger.

I think this should get you to the bulbs. Not sure which one you need... so you can find that on your own. The green indicators may have a green "gel" sleeve on it. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LOSE IT. I tried to go to Toyota for this part and was told that this was made by another company so they directly don't have the part. Incase you have to actually get IN the odometer, here's how to take the plastic off.

To remove your plastic surrounding, press in carefully to push it out - top first, then bottom. Don't try to get the whole thing off at once. Again, careful with the pin.

Very tidious I must say. If you're still serious on doing this, why don't you get the gauges while you're at it! :D I hope I didn't forget anything. Let me know how this goes! Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links