Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Central Locking - Interference?

Confused!!!

I have a Toyota T3 2002 hatch. Recently noticed that the remote locking was not working on the driveway of our house. Brought new batteries for both keys and replaced, but neither key functioned on the drive. Drive anywhere else and all works correctly - both keys. I can only assume that there is some interference from something locally - but what? I am not sure if I am seeking radio or infra red [or something else] that might be affecting the system. The only change I have made, at about the same time as the issue developed] was we replaced a tumble dryer in the garage next to the drive - plugged in or not makes no difference. No other car makes that have been parked on the drive appear affected. Any clues as to what might be the cause of interference?

By moving the car about it appears that I can work out the direction of the interference, which is either my house or garage, an attached house, or a farm yard. There is an industrial estate about 1/2 mile in that direction, but otherwise we are fairly rural. On the industrial estate the system works fine. The farmer has sodium lighting on at night in the buildings, but the car is affected 24 hours a day and the lighting has been there many months with no problem. It seems the interference is constant and only specific to this vehicle, but I am at a total loss to identify the source. Any idea's anybody? Please!!!!!! :(

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his BMW, His alarm fob would work perfectly until he was parked next to my other friends 3 series, then the alarm fob would just give up, we tried moving the cars away from eachother and it worked perfectly, Seems there was interference between the 2

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his BMW, His alarm fob would work perfectly until he was parked next to my other friends 3 series, then the alarm fob would just give up, we tried moving the cars away from eachother and it worked perfectly, Seems there was interference between the 2

I have tried with no other cars nearby makes no difference :eek:

You live any where near here?

Clicky

WOW! :eek:

Just outta curiosity - how far do you have to move the car away from your drive before the remote starts working again? I had the exact problem with my 01 Corolla (but which has the exact same key as the newer cars, so I assume has the same remote technology), and quite often if I parked up outside my dads place the remote would lock the car but wouldnt unlock it when I came back. It happened at least 5 times, and its the only place its ever happened. I just assumed it was another car that was nearby that was interfering somehow, but it could just as easily have been a radio transmission - he lived on the top of a hill in north london back then, so you always got really strong TV and radio signals (and I assume, any other kind of broadcasted radio signals would be similarly strong).

Hope you figure it out cause I never did! :)

Just outta curiosity - how far do you have to move the car away from your drive before the remote starts working again? I had the exact problem with my 01 Corolla (but which has the exact same key as the newer cars, so I assume has the same remote technology), and quite often if I parked up outside my dads place the remote would lock the car but wouldnt unlock it when I came back. It happened at least 5 times, and its the only place its ever happened. I just assumed it was another car that was nearby that was interfering somehow, but it could just as easily have been a radio transmission - he lived on the top of a hill in north london back then, so you always got really strong TV and radio signals (and I assume, any other kind of broadcasted radio signals would be similarly strong).

Clicky

Clicky

Clicky

No live near Stroud off M5 in Gloucestershire - well someone has too! As far as I am aware no new phone masts - signals still crap if there is, No new tv/radio masts - tv signal and DAB radio poor. Any idea how to cntact Toyota Technical?

Clicky

No live near Stroud off M5 in Gloucestershire - well someone has too! As far as I am aware no new phone masts - signals still crap if there is, No new tv/radio masts - tv signal and DAB radio poor. Any idea how to cntact Toyota Technical?

• 5 months later...

I have a Toyota T3 2002 hatch. Recently noticed that the remote locking was not working on the driveway of our house. Brought new batteries for both keys and replaced, but neither key functioned on the drive. Drive anywhere else and all works correctly - both keys. I can only assume that there is some interference from something locally - but what? I am not sure if I am seeking radio or infra red [or something else] that might be affecting the system. The only change I have made, at about the same time as the issue developed] was we replaced a tumble dryer in the garage next to the drive - plugged in or not makes no difference. No other car makes that have been parked on the drive appear affected. Any clues as to what might be the cause of interference?

By moving the car about it appears that I can work out the direction of the interference, which is either my house or garage, an attached house, or a farm yard. There is an industrial estate about 1/2 mile in that direction, but otherwise we are fairly rural. On the industrial estate the system works fine. The farmer has sodium lighting on at night in the buildings, but the car is affected 24 hours a day and the lighting has been there many months with no problem. It seems the interference is constant and only specific to this vehicle, but I am at a total loss to identify the source. Any idea's anybody? Please!!!!!! :(

I have a Corrolla Colour Collection since Nov 05 It is a new car. It is parked in the garage overnight. For 6 months there were no problems with central locking. However, over the past two months, on an intermittent basis, I am unable to unlock the car using the remote key fob. It works well every where else. I have had the Battery changed, but the same problem recurred after a few days. I cannot identify what could be the problem as the this occurs when the car is in the garage and not outside the garage.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Will there be any problems of not getting into the car with key, if this problem persists? The service department would think I am weird if I go back again with a problem that does not occur at their garage.

Thanks for any answers

I'm not sure what frequency the remote works in, but if it is near 2.4Ghz it could be a wireless router, a bluetooth device, a remote garage opener or a DECT cordless telephone causing interference. They all operate in the same spectrum.

Some of them pursue very aggressive frequency/channel hopping to maintain signal strength.

MIMO routers are really bad as they use more than one channel at once.

Also remote video extenders - like to watch Sky in bedroom, with no cables.

I'm not sure what frequency the remote works in

It's in the manual but it's in my glove box ... I'll have a look later :thumbsup: !

I get problems with my wifi mouse and my router <_<

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links