Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello - 1st Time Here

rossco14

:D

Hi everyone,

WOW a forum on my worst nightmare cars.....lol

I am a bit of a comp geek, build em fix em work with them, give me a car and I only know where the petrol goes lol

So its nice to be here.

:help:

Recently my 1998 GLS has been really low on the coollant and water mix in the reservior and even the radiator. To a point twice when the temp guage has gone to the top.

I have taken it to a garage as one omrning after parking on a dip with the drivers side lowest down it looked like it had leaked.

The garage stated they tested the coollant system and no sign of a leak. They said it could be the water pump.

Only question - is this likely?

Quoted me £60 + VAT for new water pump and labour.

Any help appreciated....

Cheers

Rossco14

Hello and welcome :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about your problem (not a mechanic) so i cant really comment but it sounds cheap enough to fix so why not give them a try if you know them? If i were you though i would get quotes from at least x2 different garages asking what they think the problem is and how much to sort it out? if they say its the same problem and roughly the same price they're not lying but if x1 garage starts to make up a (whats wrong list) you know they're trying to pull a fast one! :censor:

Chow for now. :D

You need the system pressure tested for leaks before spending out on parts. Suggest a Toyota dealer carries out a pressure test on the cars coolant system.

as chris dance says a pressure test will show up leaks, if the engine is started whilst under test and the display fluctuates possible head gasket.

Also check condition of the pressure cap, that seal is good and intact

water pumps can leak sometimes only shows when running and pressurized, again a good garage should be able to find it very quickly without guessing

hey newbe!

Congrats for your integrations to this forum!!! :drool:

My car had the same problem that yours but isn´t the water pump. The toyota original radiator of you car is made in aluminium and it has a plastic water tank. If you try to repair it you gonna waste your time. Buy a new one.

If you wanna know more about it email me BRICKELL_CRISTOS@HOTMAIL.COM :eek:

B)

wow - cheers for all the info folks.

Its been pressure tested and not leaks from the system, so the garage said it must be the water pump is this poss?

Any more info would be cool or a site where I can view one of those big car system manuals for an Avensis......

I will keep you posted.

Off to check the rest of the forums....w00t

Check my site out....

www.gi-squad.com

Bit geeky for online gaming on the pc - game called Joint Operations from Novalogic.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links