Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Howdydooda...nooby With Problem

silverav1

Hello there....I have a silver late 2003 Avensis (new shape). My most cherished possession :yes: I've been having poor idle/stalling problems pretty much since day one. First of all I put it down as the engine running in. Then got the recall from Toyota because "..the carbon filter needs replacing due to stalling issues..". So took that in a while back....and sorted, right? Wrong. When I went to collect it, not only wasn't the carbon filter changed....my car hadn't even been moved. When I chllenged them, they sent a mechanic out who said they ran a test and the carbon filter was fine. He said the stalling was due to me using the air-con. :rolleyes:

I let it go because the car still hadn't done 10k miles and I thought it might resolve itself. Coming up to 20k and the poor-erratic idling/stalling is still there and getting slightly worse every day. I read somewhere that it might be the ECU? Can anyone enlighten me on that? Because I need to take it to have the steering rack done too soon...

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Hello there....I have a silver late 2003 Avensis (new shape). My most cherished possession :yes: I've been having poor idle/stalling problems pretty much since day one. First of all I put it down as the engine running in. Then got the recall from Toyota because "..the carbon filter needs replacing due to stalling issues..". So took that in a while back....and sorted, right? Wrong. When I went to collect it, not only wasn't the carbon filter changed....my car hadn't even been moved. When I chllenged them, they sent a mechanic out who said they ran a test and the carbon filter was fine. He said the stalling was due to me using the air-con. :rolleyes:

I let it go because the car still hadn't done 10k miles and I thought it might resolve itself. Coming up to 20k and the poor-erratic idling/stalling is still there and getting slightly worse every day. I read somewhere that it might be the ECU? Can anyone enlighten me on that? Because I need to take it to have the steering rack done too soon...

Whatever the problem I would suggest forcing Toyota to get it sorted now, even if you have to stand in the showroom and scream and scream till you're sick :-) - The 3 year warranty is running out soon.

Quite frankly, it stalls because you are using the AC is a pathetic excuse for Toyota to make, why do they put AC in if you cannot use it

Sounds like a dodgy sensor to me, especially as its been happening from new. Oxygen sensor possibly. Get Toyota to plug it into their box of tricks, also check the ignition leads are connected properly.

My auto kept stalling.....can't blame my clutch control on that one!

After a few trips to the dealer and the usual "we couldn't get it to stall" they found a technical bulletin or something from Toyota which blamed the ECU-a new one installed and, touch the proverbial wood, all ok.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links