Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Failed Mot!

famz

Hey guys,

Took my dads car for MOT yesterday which by the way has become so expensive now due to new rules about no free re-tests after 24 hours :angry:

Anyway it failed on : "Offside power steering ram(s) leaking from a failed component"

So i was told id need a new steering rack as it was leaking, just wanted to know how much they cost and if anyone knew the cheapest place to get them :help:

Btw its a:

02 Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVt-i

Thanx guyss! :D

Take it to your Toyota dealer if you have a full service history and ask them to put in a "PRIOR AUTHORITY REQUEST" to toyota, they may be able to help, at the very least get some contribution.

I had a sqeak on my avensis steering and they replaced it free although the warranty had run out, it was goodwill because I had full service history with Toyota.

Hope this helps

Take it to your Toyota dealer if you have a full service history and ask them to put in a "PRIOR AUTHORITY REQUEST" to toyota, they may be able to help, at the very least get some contribution.

I had a sqeak on my avensis steering and they replaced it free although the warranty had run out, it was goodwill because I had full service history with Toyota.

Hope this helps

Is there any tell tail signs to look out for as I have an 02 1.8VVTi as well. I have noticed a noise when I put full left lock and then full right lock to reverse up my drive. It makes the noise as I change from full left to full right. Is this something to worry about or is it common place. She has 27k on the clock so surely it cant be dodgy already :help:

Hope this helps

Can someone elaborate on this 'squeak' business. I've seen it mentioned before. I'm asking because I have a very small (i.e. not very loud) squeak that sometimes occurs inside the cabin after the car had been driven on long journeys. To me it sounds like the plastic (rubbery texture) back casing that is moulded /part of the steering wheel rubbing against the plastic facia of the column just below it. The sound isn't very loud and if I drop the steering wheel down from the top/highest position (where I like it) the squeak disappears. Is this the same squeak everyone talks about.

The other squealing I encounter is from the power steering when you start turning at low speeds.

The steering noise aint so much a squeak its more of a grinding noise my dads avensis did it had new rack cross memeber power steering pump etc, problem solved my dads car at the time had coverd 18k. Has said its a common problem and solved by a new rack design. The other squeak could be summat again like my dads car had a few years back, you can just about hear it with the radio on. Sounds like plastic to plastic rubbing noise, turned out to be a worn air bag coil. Car at this time had coverd 21k. it now on 44k and touch wood not had any other problmes with it in 5 years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links