Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recent Avensis Purchase

KAFFAKKAF

I have recently purchased 03 Avensis 1.8T3X estate

After owning 10 varoius Volvos I thought it time for a change

hope that it was the right decision but not sure as after 1 month stll not really happy

as I find the Avensis a bit noisy and the very high tickover when cold does not seem correct

running at 1800 rpm until warmed up(is this normal)

I also find the steering very Knotchy especially in narrow gaps

again is this normal.

on the plus side fuel economy seems quite good although nothing like

the computer display says

Ken F :(

If you have low profile tyres they are a lot noisier. I am told it is the same on any car using this type of tyre. The tick over should not be noisy. My car is a T4 53 plate you can barely hear the engine at tick over. You are the same as me;I had Volvos before the Avensis. The steering on the Volvo is excellent my big Volvo estates had a very good turning circle. The Avensis steering leaves a lot to be desired after driving Volvos. To get the Avensis out of tight situations is a problem. I agree fuel consumption is a lot better.

Tick-over at those revs until the engine warms up is normal. Like you I thought it was unusual but I'm used to it now.

You will find by doing a search that steering it a common issue with the Avensis. There are a number of problems and solutions to this dependant upon the exact problem.

If you have low profile tyres they are a lot noisier. I am told it is the same on any car using this type of tyre. The tick over should not be noisy. My car is a T4 53 plate you can barely hear the engine at tick over. You are the same as me;I had Volvos before the Avensis. The steering on the Volvo is excellent my big Volvo estates had a very good turning circle. The Avensis steering leaves a lot to be desired after driving Volvos. To get the Avensis out of tight situations is a problem. I agree fuel consumption is a lot better.

Hi do not find steering lock a problem

just find need concentration to keep in straight line

with Volvos you could go to sleep and wake up still going straight

whereas this Avensis wanders with the slightest bit of inattention

(may be peculiar to this particular car)

Ken F

Tick-over at those revs until the engine warms up is normal. Like you I thought it was unusual but I'm used to it now.

You will find by doing a search that steering it a common issue with the Avensis. There are a number of problems and solutions to this dependant upon the exact problem.

will have to look in to this as it does spoil the enjoyment of driving

neary new tyres so will be a while before changing them to see if this helps

but they are not my choice of tyres being Ventus

will fit Michelin when the time comes

Ken F

I purchased a 1998 2.0l petrol recently and have a similar problem with high, and sometimes erratic revving when cold. It's becoming very frustrating as I only have to travel 8 miles to work. I also find that when I clutch to change gear the revs increase for a second before dropping off. I had a 1.8 avensis a couple of years ago and it drove like a dream........this is definitely a problem... Throttle positioning sensor or something like that..........any suggestions welcome

If I manage to fix it I'll post the fix here........good luck.

- Quite tyres, Toyota recomendation because of road noise, Bridgestone Turanza ER-30 or ER-300.

- Steering in a straight line - put air pressure in the tyres 0.35 above the recomended, it solves the problem.

- My Avensis is 2005 1.8 and also has high revs (1800) after starting even in the hot summer - takes 2-3 miles to start lowering. After 5 miles it gets to 600 rpm.

Steering seems to be very sensitive if there is uneven tread wear in the front tyres. Swapping the wheels round has solved it for me in the past. Once sorted I never rotate the tyres. I only replace the front pair or rear pair as the tread wears down.

Also once sorted I've never known the car (all 5 Toyotas I've had) to later develop a wander/drift. Like you, I find this type of fault really irritating!

Increase in tyre pressure definitely helps, I run my T3-X hatch at 37psi all round and that seems to settle it, especially on motorways [i spend a lot of time there :( ] I have heard of people putting in 39psi but I haven't yet tried it that high.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links