Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shall I Get One?

kingbrilliant

Hi all

I am looking for a car to do the following things:

transport up to 7 people - but usually just 2 or 3.

carry up to 3 racing kayaks on Roof Rack

be albe to sleep in / get changed in / basically live in at events

be reasonably cheap to run

be safe for passengers

So - the following questions:

Is the verso suitable for the above?

What is the realistic mpg for a 2.0 diesel?

Are the parts readily available for repairs when things go wrong?

(my regular mechanic muttered something about "don't get an import" - stupid question is, what is an import? Is it an import if not built in UK or only if not usually sold in UK?)

Will a verso be happy driving across wet grassy fields & mud?

all advice gratefully receieved.

cheers

Kris

Hi all

I am looking for a car to do the following things:

transport up to 7 people - but usually just 2 or 3.

carry up to 3 racing kayaks on roof rack

be albe to sleep in / get changed in / basically live in at events

be reasonably cheap to run

be safe for passengers

So - the following questions:

Is the verso suitable for the above?

What is the realistic mpg for a 2.0 diesel?

Are the parts readily available for repairs when things go wrong?

(my regular mechanic muttered something about "don't get an import" - stupid question is, what is an import? Is it an import if not built in UK or only if not usually sold in UK?)

Will a verso be happy driving across wet grassy fields & mud?

all advice gratefully receieved.

cheers

Kris

Hi There -

Safe - YES. In South Africa, depending on the version you choose, you get up to 7airbags with traction and stability control. The Verso has obtained the max. 5 star Euro NCAP safety rating award.

It takes 5 adults with ease, but the third row's two seats are for children only, as legroom is minimal.

Sleep in - when the seat are dropped, 2 adults could quite comfortably sleep in it.

With the stability and traction control, will the Verso's slip and slid on wet terrain be minimised, but remember, although its road clearance is better than most sedans, it's not an off road vehicle.

An import - I own a Verso and very happy with its built. It's screwed together very well.

It could transport 3 kayaks on suitable roof carrier.

Parts availability - I cannot speak from the UK, but in South Africa, if a vehicle is sold, the backup exists.

Part prices I cannot comment on, but obviously depend on what is required.

I own the 1.6 petrol and consumption is average 8l/100km combined.

Hope this helps

Erwin

Thanks Erwin - that has certainly answered some of the questions. I'm torn between toyota verso and volkswagen touran at the moment. indecision is a terrible thing....

Thanks Erwin - that has certainly answered some of the questions. I'm torn between toyota verso and volkswagen touran at the moment. indecision is a terrible thing....

Hi -

I chose the Verso becausec it had more safety features and other features, eg. 6 cd shuttle, than the Touran. It's was also cheaper.

Have a look at the service/ maintenance plan offered with the purchase as well.

This depends on how long you are planning to keep the vehicle, but for info. the Verso doesn't have a cambelt(uses a timing belt which needs to be checked every 180000km or so), compared to a cambelt which needs to be changed at 90000km or so. I don't know what the Touran has though?

My suggestion is to look at readers review on the internet on both vehicles.

That is what I did before I made my decision.

Erwin

I have a T180 in the UK. I have only had it 5 weeks - so a bit too early to be precise about the consumption - particularly as I drive it as fast (within speed limits) as I can. The onboard computer is reporting 29 miles to the gallon - but my own figures based on fill-ups show that it is actually giving about 34MPG for urban driving.

The confusion about imports is probably because in the UK Second hand Toyotas do get imported from other countries where they also drive on the right hand side. Some large Toyota Previas are popular as second hand imports because not all models were sold here new. The Verso's that we buy new in the UK actually are made in Turkey - but, Toyota say, to the same standards as that for those manufactured in Japan. I certainly have no complaints about build quality.

I would go for the Toyota any day (I looked at the Touran also) for a number of reasons:

1. Quality and reliability - I have had a Passatt for 4 years from new (company car) and it was the most unreliable car I have ever had. If it was my own, the repairs to the door locks, new engine management system, catalytic convertor, aircon etc, etc would have bankrupted me!

2. The verso is more comfy and practical and is less like a van.

Early impressions of my Verso are good, but what I don't like:

1. Nothing works if the key is out of the ignition - so you can't leave the CD playing for the kids if you pop into Tesco.

2. There is no 12 volt connector in the boot for a cool box etc.

3. The Toneau cover is such a crap design, you'll just take it down the skip and use the space it takes up in the boot for something else.

4. No good nets or any other devices to stop your shopping wandering around in the boot.

5. With all 7 seats up, there is only enough luggage space for a few coats.

6. It's not a 7 seater - the last two seats are only for (very small kids) who you want to punish - don't believe Toyotas marketing that shows 7 women rubgy players stuffed in it saying how comfortable it is.

7. The stereo is not that great.

8. When you turn the headlights on in the day (if it rains or you go through a tunnel) the dashboard dims for nightime driving and you can't see the !Removed! dials.

9. With the blacked out windows and spoked alloy wheels, the T180 is a bit "Pimp my Ride" so I am starting to turn into Tim Westwoood.

You could also consider the Mazda.

creamola you can set the dials so they don't dim when you turn them on in the day just look in you manual it's to do with the milometer button on the dials click three times then hold to the brightness you want day or night :thumbsup:

creamola you can set the dials so they don't dim when you turn them on in the day just look in you manual it's to do with the milometer button on the dials click three times then hold to the brightness you want day or night :thumbsup:

Brilliant! I have just gone and checked that now. The only problem is that the levels of brightness are:

1. Full daytime brightness.

2. Normal night time brightness.

3. Dimmer and dimmer than 2.

So, if you set the brightness so that you can see the dials during the day, it seems that it will blind you with the light at night - or is there a sensor that adjusts it automatically?

Thanks,

Creamola

I would recommend the Verso T3 2.0D4D, I get about 45mpg in town and 52+ on the motorway, I find that i can get 7 people in the car quiite nicely, i am a 5' 8" person, and even i can sit in the bac seat comfortable, just need to move the middle row of seats forwards.

I would never get a Toran as I have driven one, and us very unimpressed by it, as it was very tight, and the Mazda 5 is not worth looking at, as it is really cheap and nasty on the inside, and the middle seat in the middle row, is nopt even a proper seat, it is a small skinny thing, and is very tight inside.

The Verso or even the Seat Alhambra is a good choice, as they have very good fuel comsuption, and are very easy to drive.

Even I would like to know how to adjust the dials, as i can not see it at night, well unless i am going down a road without any street lamps, and is very annoying.

Even I would like to know how to adjust the dials, as i can not see it at night, well unless i am going down a road without any street lamps, and is very annoying.

Ah, well I think we sussed how to do that:

At night -

1. Turn engine on.

2. Turn headlights on.

3. Press the left most stalk that is coming out through the dials.

4. Each time you press, it will cycle through Trip A, Trip B and dashlight brightness (a display with lots of dashes).

5. When you get to the dashlight brightness, keep the stalk pressed, and it will cycle through the various dash light levels - let go when you get one that suits.

Good luck!

many thanks everyone. that pretty much convinces me that verso is the way to go.

now just have to talk nicely to my dad about hyper-flexible financing!!!

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links