Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Erratic Idle

albi969

Hello All,

I have noticed a small problem with my 98 corolla lift back 1.6 gs . Recently when stood idling the engine revs seem to be a bit erratic, ie get out of car whilst it is running , to open garage etc , and the revs slightly increase then die down again to around 600-700rpm.have noticed this at junctions as well. I know its not a major thing ,but its obviously not right. Seems to run fine apart from this

Any comments as to the remedy of this problems will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Albi.

Hello All,

I have noticed a small problem with my 98 corolla lift back 1.6 gs . Recently when stood idling the engine revs seem to be a bit erratic, ie get out of car whilst it is running , to open garage etc , and the revs slightly increase then die down again to around 600-700rpm.have noticed this at junctions as well. I know its not a major thing ,but its obviously not right. Seems to run fine apart from this

Any comments as to the remedy of this problems will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Albi.

Yeah, I've seen exactly the same thing with my 99 corolla sr. It gets even worse if you put the A/C on as well!

I think the reason for it is that on the older (92-97) corolla, the idle revs were arount 900, which could handle all the cars needs. (what i mean by this, is stuff like the fan speeding up, or the engine compensating for various functions).

But on the 97-00 corolla, toyota decided to lower the idle revs for the car to around 600-700 as you said. This was probably to help meet lower emmisions targets (including future ones), so when the engine uses even slightly more power, which is very noticable on a hot day, or from a cold start, when then engine is trying to adjust to the correct temperature/choke etc. it has a tendancy to fluctuate a bit.

I could be well of the mark here, but when i first started driving the 97-00 model, I did think that the idle revs were a bit too low, but I have never seen the car stutter or stall in idle. However with such a low idling revs, it will probably more easy to stall the car if you're going for a really slow start! (hasn't happened yet!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links