Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeeky Brakes And Optomistic Trip Comp'

Aki

Just got a second hand T3 X est March 03 plate. Brakes squeak a fair bit - do I gather this is a known problem? The car came from a Toyota dealer so has a years warranty; can dealers fix this and will they do it under warranty? Any experience of this?

Also the average mpg on the trip computer seems way out. I know the cars are frugal on fuel, but 61mpg on a trip just isn't right!! Will dealers fix this under the warranty - can it be fixed??

:help:

Hi Aki

I have a T3-X hatchback and it had brake squeal only when coming to a stop. The fix was the dealer installed shims (thin pieces of plastic) that fit between the back of the front brake pads and the brake pistons. This cured the problem and it was done under warranty. Certainly get your dealer to fix it and I was told by the dealer that it's a known problem on early models.

Don't know about your mpg problem. What engine do you have?

Hi Aki

I have a T3-X hatchback and it had brake squeal only when coming to a stop. The fix was the dealer installed shims (thin pieces of plastic) that fit between the back of the front brake pads and the brake pistons. This cured the problem and it was done under warranty. Certainly get your dealer to fix it and I was told by the dealer that it's a known problem on early models.

Don't know about your mpg problem. What engine do you have?

I bought an 03 T4 recently,it was RAC inspected and had new pads on the front before I drove it away. I thought it may take some time for them to bed in so I put up with them for a few hundred miles. It hasn't got any better, in fact when they're warm it sounds like something from Hammer House of Horror! Guess I need some of these shims. Can anyone fit them or is it a job for Mr T?

Had an interesting chat with Mr T today. Rang and explained about the break squeal and asked for a quotw for supply and fitting the anti squeal shims, "no probs he said ,I'll ring you back once I've looked it up". When he rang back he said they don't have them listed for an 03 T4, but to treat this problem their normal practice is to grease the discs. So what's the damage £150.00 :eek:

Now someone's 'avin a laugh. £25.00 a tube + labour - of taking the wheels off and slapping on what he describes as "special grease".

I remember taking my old peugeot in to my local brake & Clutch centre for a free check up and they put this copper lubricant on for free.

Still confused as to why Toyota Cardiff can't fit the shims on though and why they couldn't find them on their system. Somethings not right somewhere.

If anyones got any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

Cheers :thumbsup:

LO all :D

I've had a t3x saloon with about 12k on the clock 03 plate and it had the old squeel going on, took to MR T and had the shimpads placed under warranty....

I then thought the saloon was not for me took the car back to MR T and changed it for a 54reg T4 with about 10k on the clock...at about 12-13K the squeel happened....I would have thought they'd know of this and would have changed the breaks on newer models...anyway...same again had them replaced under warranty.

They should have kept building Toyotas in Japan....think the quality would be better rather than what we get over here...ie push the cars out of the factory and fix them later.... :!Removed!:

Nice one....

as said mine is a 54reg so registered late 2004...still had the old squeek going on...but as said MR T's crew fixed it no probs...just tought they might have changed the breaks full stop...

Great info from the Service Bulletin: Is that also a picture of the 'new' face lift Avensis you have there????

Hi I work for a Toyota dealer, the fault with your incorrect MPG reading is down to the combination meter (Speedo head) there is a programming fault with them causing them to give false readings, you will need to get your dealer to fit the latest type combination meter under warranty - it will sort the fault as it has the correct perameters to give an accurate reading.

Cheers...

Thanks for some great replies and info. "Avensis_gs_auto" thanks for the bit about the MPG reading, have compared the computer to my calculations via the odometer and the quantity of fuel used it seems to overestimate by about 35%. Feel well equipped to now visit the local dealer!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links