Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Problems!

markbusu

Hi Guys, before i start i would like to tank you all for the support you gave me in other problems i had.

The problem that i currently have is when changing gear from 1st to 2nd. I have a 1.4 D-4d 5M/T Corolla. As soon as i release the clutch and deselect 1st gear i hear a clunking noise and when i put it into 2nd gear i hear the clunking noise this time 5-10 time louder. The funny thing is that it very rarely does it when i rev up the engine to 3-4000 revs, but when i rev it up to 2,000-2500 max id does it. Im afraid that the problem is coming from the selectors or something like that. :( Had a Clio and removed it because it gave me few problems on the engine mouting... and replaced it with a corolla due to the reputation of toyota, but i am starting to have my doubts on toyota's reliability... about it!

Thanks for your help in Advanced,

Mark

can anyone help me please.... im going nuts.... i feal my heart going to bits when it does that noise

why not go to micheal debono man? have it checked by them and hopefully u're still covered under warranty.... ( for most of u who probably don't know - he's the local dealer in malta )

I went and he said that he doesnt seem to hear anything, my father heard it and even my girlfriend. I went 3 times already, and they said that everything seems to be fine, but in my opinion its not. I dont know what else to do, if i keep going they are going to think im a paranoid which in fact im not.. i gave the car to my dad for a day to drive around to see what he thinks and he said that its a very unpleasent sound! :(

Sounds like the synchromesh on 1st and 2nd gears have worn.

try an independant mechanic and see what he says

I agree you should take it to an independent mechanic if he says that there is something gone take it bk to toyota and have them replace it under warentee i would tell them that you going to do that first, because of the warentee issue. Maltese dealers are crap though they never admit to :censor: problems. Good luck dude

thanks for all your help, got some news.... i left the car for over 12 hrs in the garage, and today when i went out, it didnt do that crunching noise.... because it was cold. but after going around for over an hr the engine warmed up in 15-20 min, the crunching sound came back again. for me this means that it does it when the engine& gearbox have been heated up for a while. PS the environment temp hear is 27 degrees.

Reply to the answer above, i cant imagine being the synchro because the car is new, only 6000 k on the clock and my driving is very conservative!

My dad said that it might be the gear oil i have, it is maybe because when it heats up alot the changes in 1st and 2nd gear might be crunchy.... but i do not know... any ideas!?

we have 3 corolla's 05 in the family one of which is a D4D and none make any strange noise when changing gears. The oil used is good for the running temperature here in malta, so i wouldn't imagine its the oil. It could be a problem with parts, im not sure but when things heat up they expand so maybe the gears have an error. Sorry not much help buts that the only thing i could come up with, if it new i would imagine that the oil is fine though. What did the mechanic have to say about it?

Do you have trouble changing the gears or does it flow easily as with other gear changes?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links