Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Extended Warranty

elvis stubbs

Hi all

I'm looking into Toyota's extended warranties as our 3yrs is up at the end of the month. It's going to cost £430 on an Avensis estate for 1yr. Just wondered what folks opinions were on these?

Given the fact we've recently had a short engine replacement, 2 new headlamps and a 40k service, I was thinking that we should have a fairly trouble-free 12 months...

but then again... :unsure:

thanks in advance

Depends on your circumstances mate but I'll be extending my warranty when the times due.

I'm fairly hopeless under the bonnet so £400ish quid for a year of worry free motoring is worth it for me.

Anyway with these days labour/parts costs you only need 1 small-ish thing to go wrong and the warranty pays for itself.

My 3 year warrantee runs out this month too. By coincidence, I was in the dealer's this morning and took out the 2 year unlimited mileage option. It seems you can only sort out the 2 year deal at the dealer. You can pay by 10 months direct debits at no extra cost. You also get Club Toyota membership included which gets you RAC and 5% off Toyota Insurance. I thought the difference in cost between 1 and 2 years was not that much extra and it should make the car easier to sell privately when the time comes.

Considering the worries over oil consumption etc, I reckon it will prove to be a bargain.

My dad has extended his warranty on his avensis for the last 2 years. He's never made a calim. But its still peace of mind. I used to on my corolla when that ran out warrant and made several claims on the extended warranty. IF i've still got the avensis when the time comes i'll extended it. Hope to have a T180 avensis by then tho.

thank you all for the advice

I'm thinking the extended warranty is definitely the way to go.

tezza - the 2 year option from the dealer sounds interesting...is this an 'off the shelf' package or something you can negotiate? - how much more expensive was it over the 1yr option?

thanks in advance

thank you all for the advice

I'm thinking the extended warranty is definitely the way to go.

tezza - the 2 year option from the dealer sounds interesting...is this an 'off the shelf' package or something you can negotiate? - how much more expensive was it over the 1yr option?

thanks in advance

It's off the shelf - they have the forms. You can download the full warranty price list by going to Mr T's site

and go to Avensis - Owners - Aftercare - Extended Warranty - Page 2. Price depends on cc and whether you want 10k or unlimited miles per year.

It's off the shelf - they have the forms. You can download the full warranty price list by going to Mr T's site

and go to Avensis - Owners - Aftercare - Extended Warranty - Page 2. Price depends on cc and whether you want 10k or unlimited miles per year.

Thanks for highlighting that.

Anyone any idea if the MOT test cover, covers tyres, brakes pads/discs, broken numberplates, corroded brake pipes, windscreen wipers, cracked windscreens, blown headlamp bulb (which can be a right pain to change) etc that fail an MOT...... sounds like it does.

MOT test cover - a real bonus

In the unlikely event your vehicle fails its MOT test, a Toyota warranty will protect you against unexpected repair bills. As long as the vehicle is repaired and then passes, your warranty will pay for repairs or replacement of covered parts, up to the vehicle's purchase price. All you have to pay is the original MOT test fee and the first £10 of any repair costs covered by the Toyota warranty.

in which case the £298 charge per year (for 2 year 10k miles plan) sounds reasonable to me, if you factor in about £50 for a breakdown service too = £248

Have a look at small print about consumables. Wipers, bulbs and pads will be classed as consumables and I'd guess wouldn't be covered

Have a look at small print about consumables. Wipers, bulbs and pads will be classed as consumables and I'd guess wouldn't be covered

The Mercedes Benz MOT test guarantee covers most parts that fail the MOT, including tyres if damaged (not wear)

Vauxhall too seems quite comprehensive too;

Network Q MOT Test Guarantee. This ensures that should your vehicle fail it’s MOT, it will be covered for almost all faults identified as part of the MOT inspection up to a maximum amount/liability of £750 (including VAT) as explained below. Please note there is an excess of £10 (including VAT) in the event of a claim.

Network Q MOT Test Guarantee covers those items listed below for repair or replacement providing that they are cited on the Notification of Refusal to issue a MOT Certificate (VT30).

Lighting and Signalling Equipment

Lamps, reflectors, indicators and bulbs are covered for failure due to discolouration, mis-alignment and corrosion. The horn is covered for insecurity and electrical failure.

Steering and Suspension

All steering and suspension components are covered for insecurity and leakage.

Braking System

All items are covered with the exception of corroded brake pipes, brake facings/linings, that are routine service items. If the failure of the brake facing/lining is as a result of consequential damage caused by a covered component (excluding the above) and providing the efficiency of the braking system is below MOT standard then they will be covered.

Seat Belts

Mountings, belts, retractors and buckles are covered for failure due to wear and insecurity.

General

# Fuel System - covered for leaks and insecurity.

# Driver’s View - all parts covered except windscreen, wiper arms and blades.

# Mirrors - covered for insecurity and discolouration.

# Number Plates - covered for insecurity and discolouration.

*Please note that in Northern Ireland, vehicles which require an MOT test within 24 months from date of vehicle purchase, will qualify for a Network Q MOT Test Guarantee.

IMPORTANT

Please note that Network Q MOT Test Guarantee does not cover the following:-

Accidental, malicious or impact damage; neglect or wear and tear reported during the vehicle’s previous service; tuning or adjustments to the fuel system; tyres, wheels, exhaust systems, catalytic converters glass and bodywork/chassis; any modifications that have been made to the vehicle which are not part of the manufacturer’s original specification; Illegal items; advisory items; routine service items such as oil filters, lubricants, fluids, spark plugs and points; the cost of the MOT or re-test; Northern Ireland MOT pre-test inspection; car hire; any other component not listed above.

From what i understand the toyota warranty does not cover items that are wear and tear. I had a corolla where a few bulbs failed these was not coverd by the warranty. Thing with bulbs some last years others weeks, how many times have you changed a bulb in your house then 3 weeks later it goes again, where has the first one was put in a year or so ago. I had new brake discs all round on the corolla at no cost to me has these was covered. The way i look at the extended warranty is would it be coved in the first 3 years manufactures warranty if the answer is yes it will more than likly be coved by the extened warranty.

From what i understand the toyota warranty does not cover items that are wear and tear. I had a corolla where a few bulbs failed these was not coverd by the warranty. Thing with bulbs some last years others weeks, how many times have you changed a bulb in your house then 3 weeks later it goes again, where has the first one was put in a year or so ago. I had new brake discs all round on the corolla at no cost to me has these was covered. The way i look at the extended warranty is would it be coved in the first 3 years manufactures warranty if the answer is yes it will more than likly be coved by the extened warranty.

I think the extended warranty is more comprehensive than the standard 3 year warrany in some respects.

e.g. normal 3 year warranty doesn't include breakdown cover for the 2nd and 3rd years.

Some other manufacturer extended warranties aren't 'warranties' as such, but 'insurance policies' with a company being an underwritter, certainly the case with third party extended 'warranties'. I think with Toyota it is a real warranty at least.

Anyone know if the Toyota extended warranty is an inclusion list of included items or an exclusion list of excluded items. The latter being the better as if it's not on the list then the item is covered :) .

My 3 year warranty finishes on the 1st September and I've weighed up the £430/year from Toyota against a warranty from Warranty Direct for £255/year. I've taken out Club Toyota membership separately. Warranty Direct also provide cover for wear and tear i.e. if a part fails due to wear and tear, but not MOT failure cover. Get your car MOT'd before the end of the 3 years and if any major part fails you can claim against the Toyota warranty.

When i got my corolla i joined club toyota and got break down cover, so i've done the same with the avensis, for 50quid a year you get a lot for your money. With extened warrany the club toyota membership is rolled into the warranty fee.

My T4 3 year warranty expires 3rd Sept this year. I have booked the car in with local dealer for the 3 year service, MOT. I asked that they issue extended warranty. The receptionist said she would send a form for me to fill in. That never arrived so I rang the dealer today and asked how many years the extended warranty covered. What exactly was covered and the cost. The chap in the service dept. could not answer any of the questions. He said they can give an extended warranty on the computer when the car comes in for service. Other than that he could not help as the chap who dealt with extended warranties was on holiday?

Can anybody tell me the cost and the duration of an extended warranty. It seems it covers most things from what has been said on here.

The local dealer here changed earlier this year and when you ring them for service you get put through to a central point in another city. Today I rang the local dealer got put through to the central point elsewhere then back to the local dealer. Talk about going round in circles trying to get an answer. I had to keep verifying who I was speaking to and where it was. Anybody else find this with their dealership?

Can anybody tell me the cost and the duration of an extended warranty.

All the price and duration details here:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/1024downloads/T...Warranty_PL.pdf

But sadly lacking the level of cover.

having read the small print at the bottom now, I realise that it isn't a 'Toyota' warranty as I originally thought, but is administered by this third party company http://www.aonwarranty.com/products/auto/home.htm, so is not exactly the same arrangement as the first 3 years, but I guess to the end consumer, it shouldn't make much difference?

Thanks for that. You would think the dealer would have had this information. Looks like it is worth going for the 2 year option. I take it that you get 2 years free breakdown cover with it not just one year?

• 2 weeks later...

My Avensis had its 3 year service and MOT today. I have been advised by the dealer that because of my low annual mileage an extended warranty would not be in my interest. He told me my T4 is a very reliable car and the engine has no oil consumption problems. So I hope he is correct and I do not have any expensive faults.

So if you do a low annual mileage and keep your car in a good condition it seems you do not the extended warranty.

Hi Chris

In similar predicament - Avensis T-spirit 2.0vvti will be 3 years old in October and I do < 6k miles per year - had 4 or 5 new oxygen sensors in that time; plus steering rack replaced; plus anti squeal shims fitted; plus a couple of door seals.

So to my rekoning I only need one oxygen sensor to fail per yr for the warranty to pay for itself.

Personaly would not buy the T4 being "ultra-reliable and not in your best interest to get ext warranty" if my experiences are anything to go by !

Think L'll be shelling out for ext warranty

Tim

My Avensis had its 3 year service and MOT today. I have been advised by the dealer that because of my low annual mileage an extended warranty would not be in my interest. He told me my T4 is a very reliable car and the engine has no oil consumption problems. So I hope he is correct and I do not have any expensive faults.

So if you do a low annual mileage and keep your car in a good condition it seems you do not the extended warranty.

I took one out, it does give you free RAC cover which was worth some £120 to me,had me lights fitted which would have cost me £640. Now have an oil leak which I'm taking it in for tomorrow.

Ever since I 1st had the Avensis it always suffered from really bad brake squeal from the front brakes. Dealer first said "computer says no" such fault reported. But looking thro' this forum it turns out that some Avensis between certain build dates were not fitted with brake shims. Essentially small bits of plastic which fit on top of the brake pad and stop dust/crud building up and hence stop the squealing brakes. After much hassling the dealer they conceded to look at breaks and if they were not fitted - fit them. Surprise - surprise - makes be mad when dealers try and fob you off with some ******* 'cause they think you don't know any better

Since the I have a squeal free car.

:thumbsup:

Jovensis - what was the problem with you lights that would have cost 600 quid ? :eek:

plus anti squeal shims fitted;

What exactly is a (Toyota) shim?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3A+shims

Hi Cyper, had the usual condensation that seems a feature of 03 models. Fine now, the new headlights don't let any moisture in, but then that's how it should be, made sure they put some decent bulbs in while they were at it.

Funny you should mention brake squeal, mine a &#33;Removed&#33; awful. I asked them to have a look at them whilst my lights were being done. To be honest the just couldn't be bothered, they said they couldn't find anything wrong but I know they didn't even look. When I get the oil problem checked out I'm going to insist on the brakes being done. It's now so loud it's embarrasing and I can't stand it any longer. I'm sick of being fobbed off, feel like I got to put a suit of armour on ready for battle every time I walk in the place. :ffs:

Jovensis

If you get any resistance from the dealer wave this at them:-

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/tsb_detail.asp?fileID=675

Details the fitting of shims to specific build dates - then they cannot refute its not an issue

The only minor issue may be linking directly the build date to the VIN numbers - it's easiest for them to take the front wheels off and look at the pads rather than try and back -track thro' the build dates. It's actually really easy to see the shims if they are fitted - if you look between the caliper on the front brakes onto where the pad is there should be a plastic film fitted over the visible surface of the pad - mine are now really easy to see as they are blue !

If you need to get any further info then PM me and i'll give you the full info about the dealer who fitted mine for your local guys to check etc

Good luck

Funny you should mention brake squeal, mine a &#33;Removed&#33; awful. I asked them to have a look at them whilst my lights were being done. To be honest the just couldn't be bothered, they said they couldn't find anything wrong but I know they didn't even look. When I get the oil problem checked out I'm going to insist on the brakes being done. It's now so loud it's embarrasing and I can't stand it any longer. I'm sick of being fobbed off, feel like I got to put a suit of armour on ready for battle every time I walk in the place. :ffs:

:thumbsup: thanks Cyper, I'll do that , rearranged my booking for next week now. It's driving me nuts sounds like Kate Bush being throttled every time I stop .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links