Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Extended Warranty

elvis stubbs

Main Dealer and Manufacturers are more peace of mind, in work I can't advise people to take the due to regulations set out by the FSA. Personal opinion is they are superb especially if you have MOT Failure cover, peace of mind throughout your ownership. New cars especially toyotas are not cheap so if you can afford to run a toyota you can normally find a bit extra to get the cover which could potentially save you a fair whack of cash!

I have been buying Toyotas extended warranty for the last couple of years and I do not intend to renew it this year. I have an 2001 Avensis Verso D4D which has been relatively trouble free (built in Japan and not one of the seemingly crappy european built ones) however, I have had to take it to the dealer for a few problems and every time I do I am told that my problem is due to wear and tear and not covered by the warranty. I find this to be very annoying and it makes tha warranty pointless. I will be buying a new warranty from Warranty Direct this year. They appear to cover pretty much everything that Toyota do and after 90 days they also cover wear and tear items as well. It is cheaper than the toyota warranty but does not have the RAC cover so i guess you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Dougie

I have been buying Toyotas extended warranty for the last couple of years and I do not intend to renew it this year. I have an 2001 Avensis Verso D4D which has been relatively trouble free (built in Japan and not one of the seemingly crappy european built ones) however, I have had to take it to the dealer for a few problems and every time I do I am told that my problem is due to wear and tear and not covered by the warranty. I find this to be very annoying and it makes tha warranty pointless. I will be buying a new warranty from Warranty Direct this year. They appear to cover pretty much everything that Toyota do and after 90 days they also cover wear and tear items as well. It is cheaper than the toyota warranty but does not have the RAC cover so i guess you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Dougie

I use to work as a mechanic and came into contact with members of the public that had bought after market warranties, and they really are not worth the paper they are printed on :( .

Let me take Warranty Direct as your example ,they only cover parts that "Fail ", i've taken a look on their warranty directs definitions, first worring point that comes up, .....

"Breakdown means the sudden and unexpected failure of a part arising from any permanent mechanical, electrical or electronic fault, which causes the part to stop working, and means that it needs repairing or replacing before it will work properly".

So what they are saying is if a wheel bearing or alternator start to make a noise ,they don't cover it untill its no longer works and breaks !.

The Toyota used car warranty does cover an item before it fails, thats one very importance consideration!.

...back to the warranty directs small print, items they don't cover are the majority of wear and tear items....

"Breakdown or damage to parts (whether insured or not) caused by frost, water, freezing liquids, corrosion, oxidisation, blockages, build up of contaminants, sludge or silt, or other foreign or waste matter that has prevented the parts from working properly.

..also not covered...

Routine adjustments and service items including (but not limited to) the distributor cap, the rotor arm, the condenser, points, high tension leads, spark plugs, Wiper Blades, filter parts, bulbs, belts, antifreeze, fluids, grease, fuel or oils, brake shoes, drums, discs and pads.

Burnt or worn-out clutch parts, and the build-up of carbon deposits (including burnt or carbonised valves and removing carbon deposits)."

As you say in your post above....."you pays your money and you takes your choice" , please please don't waste your money on an after market warranty :thumbsup:

I'm using my Avensis as a taxi and will be doing around 50k per year, All the extended warrenties I have looked at do not cover vehicles used for "Hire or Reward" does anyone know if this is applicable to the toyota extended warrenty

I'm using my Avensis as a taxi and will be doing around 50k per year, All the extended warrenties I have looked at do not cover vehicles used for "Hire or Reward" does anyone know if this is applicable to the toyota extended warrenty

I've got the dealer booklet on the extended warranty,it has very little "small print ", but i did find this....

"Eligible vehicles must have less than 100K when the extended warranty is taken out ,and must not be used for self-drive hire, competitive racing or private hire or driving tuition"

So i would guess a taxi would also be excluded :( .

Hi all

I'm looking into Toyota's extended warranties as our 3yrs is up at the end of the month. It's going to cost £430 on an Avensis estate for 1yr. Just wondered what folks opinions were on these?

Given the fact we've recently had a short engine replacement, 2 new headlamps and a 40k service, I was thinking that we should have a fairly trouble-free 12 months...

but then again... :unsure:

thanks in advance

I currently own 2 Toyotas and have previously owned two others. I have never bought an extended warranty for any of them. Other than normal maintenance nothing has ever gone wrong with them. My Camry had 120K miles (12 years old) before it was hit and totaled and the wifes Celica had over 80K (10) when we had to sell it to get a four door for her. The wifes Solara isn't even a year old yet so I can not comment on that but my Avalon has over 30K miles and absolutely no issues.

This is one of the reasons I buy Toyotas. Quality is excellent. When I used to buy US made cars I would always get the extended warranty.

• 4 months later...

I know the topic is quite old but i thought i bring it up again. My Avensis is a 02 and I have seen scratches in the discs. At my last service (60k) I was told that the discs+pads probably needs replacing because of the scratching.

If I would to purchase extended warranty, would the discs be covered under it? I can understand that pads counts as wear and tear but discs should not wear out imo.

Any ideas?

I know the topic is quite old but i thought i bring it up again. My Avensis is a 02 and I have seen scratches in the discs. At my last service (60k) I was told that the discs+pads probably needs replacing because of the scratching.

If I would to purchase extended warranty, would the discs be covered under it? I can understand that pads counts as wear and tear but discs should not wear out imo.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately disks DO wear out, they are not a lifetime part on a car. Many cars I've owned have needed a disk and pad change at some point. Take a look at your brake disk after the car's been stood for anything more than 10-12 hours, particularly in rainy weather. See the rust build-up starting to show on it? Of course, the disk is clean again after the first application of the brakes but that rust is the disk corroding and is unfortunately inevitable. The disk will eventually corrode down to a point where it is thinner than the manufacturers recommended specification and will then need replacement, assuming it doesn't warp and cause brake-judder prior to the limit being reached. On an average 12,000 miles a year I would budget for changing front disks once every 5 years or so, rear disks less so. Of course, that figure could be greatly extended or reduced depending on the drivers particular driving habits.

Disks are not covered by warranties as they are wear and tear items much like the brake pads are.

Any ideas?

As said above discs are not covered, but even if they were covered ,the cost of a years extended warranty is £400-430 depending on mileage use, so i'm sure a pair of discs and pads should be much cheaper than that...well i hope so :unsure: :) .

Any ideas?

As said above discs are not covered, but even if they were covered ,the cost of a years extended warranty is £400-430 depending on mileage use, so i'm sure a pair of discs and pads should be much cheaper than that...well i hope so :unsure: :) .

Thanks guys. Just normal wear and tear then check.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links