Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo Problem(driveshaft I Think)

jinn_faz

hi

i got a problem with the MR2 and i dont know what it is.

ok here goes

when reversing around a corner the car makes a knocking sound ( and reversing in general)

when driving it makes the knocking sound until i change into third gear then the knocking disapears

as i am driving the car gets a life of its own and i have to battle with it to stay in control it feels like im driving on ice thats at 80mph (and very scary) :ffs:

it only has a knocking sound when im taking off then as speed increases the knocking goes away(it sounds as it coming from the back of the car)

i got the car on my ramp and the drive shaft has alittle play on it i dont know if thats normal.

i also wiggled the tires holding top and bottom and that also has a little play(i.e it moves)

the mr2 is a jap import, j reg, keonig suspension all round

heres a fun question could i drop this engine in to a starlet gt (4EFTE) :drool:

i dont know what it is :blink: it could be driveshaft or the bearings in the joint :help:

thanks for the help

i had a problem which is the opposite way round to yours.

When i went slow it was very quiet but as soon as i hit 65-70 ish the rear shocker would rattle up in the turret.

Turned out to be the top mount, they are noted for dropping to bits and also the rear little stableiser drop link thingys that go from your rear roll bar to your shocker have had a history of dying on the ball joints. have a wobble around on your suspension and see whats what. :thumbsup:

When i went slow it was very quiet but as soon as i hit 65-70 ish the rear shocker would rattle up in the turret.

Turned out to be the top mount, they are noted for dropping to bits and also the rear little stableiser drop link thingys that go from your rear roll bar to your shocker have had a history of dying on the ball joints. have a wobble around on your suspension and see whats what. :thumbsup:

thanks for the post i have shown it to the mechanic and he has said the fault is in the gearbox the part's gonna cost me £120 ill let u know how this goes on

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the post i have shown it to the mechanic and he has said the fault is in the gearbox the part's gonna cost me £120 ill let u know how this goes on

thanks

:eek: the problem has not been solved, they opened all the gearbox and replaced gear oil, still the same :crybaby: .

any suggestions

thanks

hello, the knocking sound has minimised but when i drive normally and i give alittle gas the back ends starts to swing out, thats below 30mph.

its also throwing smoke on motorway at 60mph and the rear end starts to swing

thanks for your help

• 2 months later...

hello, the knocking sound has minimised but when i drive normally and i give alittle gas the back ends starts to swing out, thats below 30mph.

thanks for your help

i have seen a mechanic and he told me the dampers are gone, another problem is when i put my foot down the car seems to start missing on the high end of the boost(this car is giving me a lot of problems :crybaby:

thanks for your help

On MR2's the wheel alignment on the rear wheels is adjustable. I've heard of the adjuster coming loose and causing similar problems to this. jack the back of the car up and see if either of the rear wheels are wobbling (this might need a bit of force).

• 8 months later...

thanks for your help

On MR2's the wheel alignment on the rear wheels is adjustable. I've heard of the adjuster coming loose and causing similar problems to this. jack the back of the car up and see if either of the rear wheels are wobbling (this might need a bit of force).

well it has been a long time since the original post.

the mr2 was fine until now when suddenly the same problem appeared again (knocking sound when i reversed and drove slowly round a bend) i have been told its the LSD plates clicking inside the diff. but i just want to know if anyone has had this problem and if a replace the gearbox would it solve the problem

thanks

I used to have a Kaaz LSD in my old mr2 and it made a noise on slow tight corners. It's all normal, but I've not heard of it on stock LSD.

I used to have a Kaaz LSD in my old mr2 and it made a noise on slow tight corners. It's all normal, but I've not heard of it on stock LSD.

I remember that noise it made on tight lock.. sounded like it was bust!

If it has an LSD box, the incorrect box oil or too little box oil will cause this noise.

How sure are you the box has an LSD fitted?

Make sure it's an LSD box first by jacking the rear up and turn the rear wheels. If both wheels turn the same direction then it's deffo an LSD box, if not then it's a regular diff. You then need to make sure the appropriate oil has been added.

I also wouldn't rule out wheel bearings either. And no (before anyone asks), you won't always hear a whirring or whiney sound if it's the bearing. Check drop links and ARB bushings too :thumbsup:

As for the smoke... what colour is it? Grey-ish White, Bluey White or black?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links