Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Installing Innovatek Dvd-990 Into Yaris

davem

Hi guys,

In regards to my previous post, I have now installed the Innovatek DVD-990 into my 2001 Toyota Yaris. It is a fantastic head unit that has its own 3.5" TFT screen and can play DVD (in surround sound), VCD, MP3, MP4, Standard CD, TV, Radio, Reverse camera display, aux screen (to display screen from another device) and you can also play back from Memory cards (SD or MMC) and a USB port for connecting a Flash drive. The units are for sale on eBay, but I bought mine from Amazon which came under the name of 'Protec 990DVD - but it is exactly the same unit as the Innovatek DVD-990. It's also listed as the 'In-350DTM' (confusion!! :huh: )and you can view it on the Innovatec Website

Anyone interested in installing this into their car, please note the following...it's not easy to do! :help:

The front of the unit is big....too big! Although the actual unit is 1 din size, the front section has a large plastic surround. To install it, you will need to do some messing around, and be prepared to do some minor reshaping to your tape deck section. :ffs:

The unit needs to be installed underneath your tape deck, where the black coin holder thing is. Use the guide of the forum so you can slide the entire tape caddy section out (search for aftermaket radio installing)

A couple of screws are holding the coin holder in (one on each side), then you need to give it a good tug and wiggle to get it out. Try lifting the tape deck if it doesn't move.

Now get your Innovatek DVD-990 unit. You will need to unscrew the front plastic surround of the actual unit, and pull it off so you are left litterally with the drive with nothing on the front. :wacko: There are two small screws holding the plastic surround in place, unscrew those and then carefully go round the edge and unclip it from the metal surround. Once that is removed, you'll be left with a bare drive, with nothing on the front. :unsure:

Now try to slide it in to the area where your black coin holder was. It will only go in from the back, so pull out the entire tape deck section far enough so you can slide the DVD unit in that way and push it up to the front. You will notice that you can't actually slide it all the way through because the plastic surround of the car prevents it. You will need to file away that plastic, or carefully cut it away until you can push the front of the unit right though. Once the unit is in place and the black plastic surround is back on, you won't see anything, so don't worry. It took me a while, but eventually you'll get to the point where you notice the unit is able to get closer to the front, and eventually as you cut away more, you will give it enough room so it pushes right through.

Now it's just a case of !Removed! on the front plastic surround again and attaching the wires. But of course, this isn't straight forward either because the holes on the unit don't match up with the car caddy frame. You will need to do a lot of messing around to eventually line up a hole so you can screw it in. Whatever happens, don't expect it to be perfectly flush - you will end up with the unit sticking out about 0.5cm from the car but you won't notice it from the front.

Basically it's all trial and error...I was just persistant enough to be able to do this way - but as you go through the install you will see what I mean about the size and what bits to cut away. I'll try and bung a few photos on here to make things a bit more logical, but you can always email me if you are unsure of anything.

CONNECTING THE AUDIO.

The easiest way I found to do this was to buy a 'Connects 2 Aux adapter' - (do a search on eBay using the keywords 'toyota aux adapter'. Its a small little box that costs £50 and basically allows you to connect the audio of the DVD unit into the standard yaris head unit so the audio plays though all of your car Speakers. When you press your CD/Tape button on the yaris head unit, your display will show 'CD 1-1' and you will hear the audio from your DVD drive.

Once all connected, set your standard yaris headunit bass and treble to 0, and then use the EQ on the DVD unit, as it is much better. You should be able to get a really nice sharp treble and deep bass even with the standard yaris Speakers...

SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT ADDITIONAL WIRING.

Unless you already have a reverse camera installed, do NOT connect the 'backsight' wire, otherwise your display will just show the message 'backsight' and nothing else will happen. If you have already connected it, just cut it and normal operation will resume. Also, to be able to control the unit while driving, do not connect the 'brake' wire. leave it disconnected. Connecting it will lock the unit while driving to prevent use and you will need to park everytime you want to control the DVD etc.

CONNECTING TV

Make sure unit it set to PAL. You can get a picture (a very poor one) using a standard aerial (just get a aerial to mini jack wire so you can connect it - buy from Maplin or any other electrical store) For best quality use a car powered aerial which stick to your back window and connect to your car power. Do a search on eBay for car tv aerial.

CONNECTING A HARDDRIVE

I have tried to connect an external harddrive to the USB port. The headunit did sometimes load from it, but most of the time it didn't and wouldn't work at all when formatted to NTFS - only fat32. I think it was due to my harddrive not getting sufficient power from the car. If you want to hook up something to the USB port, just stick to a standard flash drive.

Regards

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links