Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possibly Redundancy

Demonic Angel

Just found out this afternoon I'm probably going to be made redundant on Monday :(

I have a meeting with them on Monday to discuss any possiblity to stay, job change etc but its not looking likely. I've been given tomorrow off as paid leave to think about things I could do instead.

I spoke to them recently about a more affluent IT role but there isnt enough of a role there, with it being a small company and although we got new contracts recently, the contracts we have are the sort where my job role would not really be required.

I'm hoping its a blessing in disguise as I've wanted to progress with my career anyway and the 30-mile round trip, although enjoyable means I spend more on fuel than I used to, while still earning the same amount!

Still gutted though - as I love it there. I love the people, I get on with everyone so well and I never really wanted to leave there. My boss is clearly quite gutted as she found out 15 mins before I did and we have always gotten on well - we actually had a meeting before this one when she told me how pleased she was with me and she gave me maximum bonus payment for all my hard work!

Still, things happen for a reason I suppose... :unsure:

Hey Em, sorry to read this.

Being made redundant is never easy - I have been in that situation twice now because it's rife within my industry.

The key thing is not to be scared of it. Don't panic. The first time it happened to me I felt my world was going to crumble - I had recently bought a place with a partner and it was done in a really horrible way (interview against a friend for one remaining job). I was close to loosing the plot.

However, I can safely say that whilst I found both times quite stressful, I have always come out on top in the end.

The key is to use your time effectively, make your CV as efficient as possible, sign up to online job sites, send out speculative applications too - this is how I got my last two jobs.

Then make sure you give yourself breaks during the day for 'a time out.' Choose a personal project like re-decorating your room, taking walks or anything that can keep you relaxed and clear-headed.

If you need a chat, you know where I am - although I have every confidence you'll do well for yourself. :thumbsup:

Hi Em,

Sorry to hear this... but from prior discussions I do think this may be more positive than it feels right now.

You wanted to advance in your career - but liked where you worked too much to look at leaving.

At least this way you are being forced to look further afield, and I honestly think in 6-12 months you'll see this as a good thing as you'll have the opportunity to follow the career you really want!

sorry to hear that Em :(

i know all about redundancy as i've been made redundant 3 times over the years,

but working in the motor trade it happens alot ;)

As you say maybe its a blessing in disguise :rolleyes:

and you'll find yourself a better job closer to home.

kimi xxx

Hi Em,

Sorry to hear this... but from prior discussions I do think this may be more positive than it feels right now.

You wanted to advance in your career - but liked where you worked too much to look at leaving.

At least this way you are being forced to look further afield, and I honestly think in 6-12 months you'll see this as a good thing as you'll have the opportunity to follow the career you really want!

This is exactly what happened with me. I was guilty of letting the grass grow under my feet as I was 'comfortable'. Both redundancies gave me a kick up the bum to sort my career out and eventually get the job I wanted. :yes:

Sorry to hear this Em,

but like everyone else has said, look upon it as an opportunity and not a setback. Good luck with finding something even better

Sorry to hear that, along with what everyone else says - it feels crap now but as they say - one door closes another one opens....

my best wishes go out to you Em!

That sucks, Em...

There was a round of redundancies at my last job. The people in my department who were outed both moved onwards and upwards into "better" jobs and think it was one of the best things that happened to them.

:thumbsup:

A

Cheers you guys.... to be honest I have seen it coming - there have been rumours for a while....

I guess I'm wondering what else this year will try and do to me.... its been hit after hit after hit.... to be honest theres only so much :censor: anyone can take and I dont think I can handle any more bad news (so dont cancel the Christmas Party or I'll have a nervous breakdown! :lol: )

I'm trying to look at it positively, but theres even times when I just can't smile anymore. :(

Well some good news today... got my new wireless router working....

Guess just keep busy... best way to handle it.... either that or a stiff drink!

Aw all my sympathy Em. Like everyone says it is maybe he opportunity you've been waiting for! :thumbsup: Meanwhiles try to take the time out to enjoy yourself a bit. Maybe go temping while you look around, I did when I was made redundant. :unsure:

Well.. you could take the opperchancity to start a family.. although being a mother is a very challenging carrer choice with little or no pay or any prospects of promotion, i think you will find it very enjoyable.. and to cheer you up Ryan might even propose and make it all proper etc. ;)

Anyhoo.. sorry to hear of your redundancy but things (^^^^^^) could be a lot worse ;)

Look on the bright side.. you CAN improove your career now :)

Well.. you could take the opperchancity to start a family.. although being a mother is a very challenging carrer choice with little or no pay or any prospects of promotion, i think you will find it very enjoyable.. and to cheer you up Ryan might even propose and make it all proper etc. ;)

lol thanks Davy thats the best laugh I've had all day! :lol:

Cheers you guys.... to be honest I have seen it coming - there have been rumours for a while....

I guess I'm wondering what else this year will try and do to me.... its been hit after hit after hit.... to be honest theres only so much :censor: anyone can take and I dont think I can handle any more bad news (so dont cancel the Christmas Party or I'll have a nervous breakdown! :lol: )

I'm trying to look at it positively, but theres even times when I just can't smile anymore. :(

Sorry to hear your bad news, Em but remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :yes:

Keep positive and keep smiling. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear this Em.

Stay positive, and good luck in searching for a new job.

Have they mentioned a redundancy package if they do let you go?

Nothing really to add I don't think. Sounds like it could be a stepping stone to bigger and better things and just always remember its your role that's being made redundant, not you personally :)

Sorry to hear it Em! As said above, if it all goes bad where you are at the minute, it sounds like an ideal opportunity to expand on your IT skills and start doing something you love properly.

Get yourself on the IT contracting market for a while. Helpdesk or Desktop support / Rollout is a reasonable place to start, and judging the monkies we keep getting for those kinds of roles you should find it a breeze to start getting some contracts under your belt! Get your CV sorted (don't mind you sending it my way if you want someone in the industry to check it through), and register yourself on Spring and Monster as starters and see where you get to!

Good luck with what ever turns up!

Sorry to hear it Em! As said above, if it all goes bad where you are at the minute, it sounds like an ideal opportunity to expand on your IT skills and start doing something you love properly.

Get yourself on the IT contracting market for a while. Helpdesk or Desktop support / Rollout is a reasonable place to start, and judging the monkies we keep getting for those kinds of roles you should find it a breeze to start getting some contracts under your belt! Get your CV sorted (don't mind you sending it my way if you want someone in the industry to check it through), and register yourself on Spring and Monster as starters and see where you get to!

Good luck with what ever turns up!

Cheers mate, I appreciate the advice and may well be PM'ing you for CV advice shortly :)

That's some bad news Em. I hope you can turn it around and make something of it though. As DefiantFrog said, definately get your CV out, brush it down and get it on some job sites.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

One door closes.................. think positively Em :thumbsup:

BTW if you do become unemployed for any period of time then please don't spend your time swotting up on quiz questions as you're just doing waaaay to well at the mo :D Thought I may catch you for a minute until the so called 'famous people' category! Who in their right mind would've chose that category??!! ;) :)

I was a Mechanical engineer -Design \ CAD Design, CNC programmer and a Tool Maker - when I got made redundant at the age of 22 - until then I thought I'd really found what I wanted to do!

(As said before) It gave me a kick up the **** to change direction -got into IT, I spent my payout on re-training and have never looked back... but even if you aint gona get any pennys its the best possible time to change direction - if u wana??

I am now in a position again where I am over qualified above my !Removed! but will end up staying where I am just because I'm comfortable.... I could move n progress but will just stay where I know... not that I wana change direction just that I should move on up!

No disrespect to anybody that has felt themselves dead on there **** when they have gone through what it looks likes gonna happen to you - but it can happen for the best!!

Was the best thing that ever happened to me!!!

EDIT - Sheesh... that was a long post!! - CHIN UP!!

Em, What can I say that has not been said already :(

So sorry to hear this......................best wishes for the future :)

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links