Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speeding Ticket And Insurance

OldSkoO1

I went through a mobile scammer this morning doing 35/36 in a 30 so they are probably going to send me 3 points for my clean licsense... which is nice of them since then we hiding round a bend and a downslope.

But anyway, because i'm new to points how do they affect your insurance? Does it go up or cause any other issues.

Ta

Indicated 35/36 and you might get away with it, you were probably actually going a touch slower and its right on the 10% + 2 threshold that the guidelines state they should use (although of course they don't have to, could do you for 31 if they felt like it).

First 3 points for speeding don't seem to make much (if any difference) to your insurance now. So many people have them and even the insurance companies recognise that a few points for speeding are no indication of an increased risk of an accident.

You probably dont even have a ticket lol

go back to the scene and take pictures on a diposable camera, it sounds like you cant see the van from 500yrds, therefore its illegal

What they said... generally speedos tend to overread slightly... tho its often proportional (being more out at higher speeds) so you may well be fine..

If not.. 3 points and £60.. which is all you will get for being a smidgen over the limit shouldnt affect the insurance too much..

I got done rather more harshly... and it wasnt too bad :)

Well it'll be a SP30 Conviction if you are caught - normally 3 points & a £60 fine with the endorsement on your license. A lot of people have these convictions, there will be a slight load on your premium (which is an increase in what you pay yearly) as it's to do with the risks that you pose to an Insurer. You only need to declare it when your current policy term is up, if it was a heavier conviction - say an Drink Driving or Uninsured conviction then that's a different story all together :yes:

HTH

As said above, my first and only sp 30 made no differenace to my insurance, just to my pocket and the fact that I got caught im my own village just round the corner from my house.

Ouch

Yeah. I think I may have been done on a nice wide, clear street. No one around. In the same boat as OldSkool. I'm not about to contest it. I was speeding - unintentionally - but speeding all the same. Just not paying a great deal of attention to my speedo.

Is there still the course whereby you pay an extra £30 but you don't get the points and endorsement that you can only do once every three years?

Depends on the area you were in and the speed you were doing.

Pretty sure most places charge more than £30 for it though ;)

Oh and BTW there aren't any laws regarding the siting of speed traps, they can put them anywhere they like. There are guidelines for lots of things (visibility, where speed traps can actually be located etc) that they like to trumpet about and then ignore and go back to hiding in hedges or on bridges over motorways where they can aim at the brow of a hill a mile away.

Well he did say 'extra £30'...

Hull is one of the places I know that operates 'Speed Seminars' and they are trying to roll them out across the country, but this isnt in place as of yet.

Basically you pay a certain amount of money (Hull its £50) and you go to a 'Speed Seminar' and they usually have 2 Speakers.. and loads of images and statistics (damned statistics lol) to basically get you to slow down... they usually offer this sort of thing to those who are borderline... i.e. -just- over the limit... 46 in a 40.... 34 in a 30 etc... But only in areas that currently run the the courses. Provided you turn up.. sign in with relevant paperwork.. smile.. join in and be polite... (you can debate but not be disruptive) you will have the points and penalty dropped... if you have to be sent away from the course for disruptiveness.. or do not turn up etc.. you can have your points n fine back...

you can only do these seminars once every 3 years (i think)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links