Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'thinking' Of Buying A Supra.

LIAM.MCGLOIN

First time over here usually on the celica or Venuses forum.thinking of getting a supra to replace my 92 gt celica,I think i would be happy enough with a non-turbo 3lt.As the insurance quote on a gt4 celica scared me.seen a 95 3lt with a velside kit and leather for £4,750 in white.

Q. is it going to be much harder to run (ie fuel) than the celica i have.

Q. should i consider the turbo. Would still like to have a beer at the w'end and not be spending all my money on petrol.

Q.after the service history what are pluses to look for alloys, kits or just look for a standard one.

Q. AUTO /MANUAL?

Thanks in advance .

:eek: or should i look at a gs 300 sport. :huh:

£4,750 is very expensive for a non turbo 95. You can get a twin turbo for that money. I have seen non turbos go for as little as £2000 now.

Q. is it going to be much harder to run (ie fuel) than the celica i have.

Not really a lot of diffrence, its gonna use the same amount of fuel as a celica GT4.

Q. should i consider the turbo. Would still like to have a beer at the w'end and not be spending all my money on petrol.

If you can afford the turbo and its what you really want then get a turbo. I personally think the non turbos are better value for money.

Q.after the service history what are pluses to look for alloys, kits or just look for a standard one.

You'll never get a fully history unless its a UK car, and then it'll be turbo only as there were no non turbo uk cars. Go for a standard one if you can, lots of dodgy kits and mods out there. and please please please dont buy one with that god awful veilside kit :crybaby:

Q. AUTO /MANUAL?

If you want to drive it like its meant to be driven (i.e hard and in total control for maximum fun) and have the best performance then get a manual.

Auto is good but very boring compared to the manual and many people wish they bought manuals afterwards. Also non turbo automatics are slooooooooow. I think they are like 7.5secs 0-60? :wacko:

£4,750 is very expensive for a non turbo 95. You can get a twin turbo for that money. I have seen non turbos go for as little as £2000 now.

I assume Liam is after a Mk IV

If you've seen (mk IV) turbo's for £4750 and N/As as low as £2000 they've got to be dog rough or of dubious history, I don't think they're very realistic prices mate ... :huh:

If you've seen (mk IV) turbo's for £4750 and N/As as low as £2000 they've got to be dog rough or of dubious history, I don't think they're very realistic prices mate ... :huh:

I said you 'could' get a turbo for £4750 and N/As for £2000... didnt say they were gonna be mint ;) But you may get a highmileage car that cheap which has been cared for - like any car ;)

Lets face it, you have to assume that all imports have got dubious historys seeing as its so easy to clock an imported car. Also getting any jap service history with the car is a rarity. I always take quoted mileages on imports with a pinch of salt.

The market is flooded with them, its a buyers market. Unfortunately they are now too common and they are shedding their value faster than you can say 'depreciation'. Also they are showing their age and there are a lot of common problems surfacing.

And what would you say if i told you i know a MK4 had changed hands in the trade for £1500 not long ago ;) Dealers arent giving much for them now.

I had my MK4 supras when they were in their height of popularity, wouldnt personally buy another because i dont think its as good an investment as it used to be.

I said you 'could' get a turbo for £4750 and N/As for £2000... didnt say they were gonna be mint ;) But you may get a highmileage car that cheap which has been cared for - like any car ;)

Lets face it, you have to assume that all imports have got dubious historys seeing as its so easy to clock an imported car. Also getting any jap service history with the car is a rarity. I always take quoted mileages on imports with a pinch of salt.

The market is flooded with them, its a buyers market. Unfortunately they are now too common and they are shedding their value faster than you can say 'depreciation'. Also they are showing their age and there are a lot of common problems surfacing.

And what would you say if i told you i know a MK4 had changed hands in the trade for £1500 not long ago ;) Dealers arent giving much for them now.

I had my MK4 supras when they were in their height of popularity, wouldnt personally buy another because i dont think its as good an investment as it used to be.

I dare say that they do change hands for that much within the trade, but they won't sell for that. I can buy SZs from Japan for much less than that for an early 93/94 but it would be accident damaged and repaired or in a bad state and by law all accident damage or repairs must be divulged at all the auctions ion the auction reports in Japan..I personally only buy high grade cars I know there are people who clock cars out there but to be honest it can be checked if you know what you're looking for.All Jap imports come with de-registration documents which show the mileage when the car leaves Japan...there is no reason to change the clocks to change the speedo's to MPH so just ask to see those documents that come with the car...I always show them.

Yep, need to mark it up from that kinda money of course.

Yeah i've been offered accident damaged supra mk4's before for under £1k. Gave up the importing game a while back now as the market dried up a bit and i couldnt be bothered with it anymore.

Liam....

Don't go ANYWHERE near a MKIV TT that's only £4750!! It's gonna be a shed with stupid high mileage!! £6,000 to £7000 is a bit more realistic for an early TT Auto. If you're after a manual, then be prepaired to pay a little extra. Again, if you're after a UK car, then even more so.

As for the fueling on the TT, I would so it will also be a tad thirstier than the GT4. It is a 3ltr after all. My Supra is quite a bit thirstier than my old mr2 turbo. But then again, it depends on how you drive it.

As for the turbo/non turbo question... tbh, the n/a is still fast compared to other cars out there, but you may always crave the extra power. If you can afford the insurance and don't commute stupid miles everyday, then I would say defo go for the TT over the n/a.

If you want to be sure of getting a decent car, best advice would be to buy from a member on the MKIV supra owners club. At least that way you have a better chance that the car's been looked after buy an enthusiast.

Finally!..... If you were gonna go with the n/a I would say get a manual, if you were gonna go with the TT I would say at least consider the Auto. They have good boxes and can take quite alot of power! Plus, when you're screaming along at Supra speeds, you need two hands on the wheel!! I always said I would never have an auto unless it was a Supra. I don't regret buying the Auto one little bit. :)

Liam....

Don't go ANYWHERE near a MKIV TT that's only £4750!! It's gonna be a shed with stupid high mileage!! £6,000 to £7000 is a bit more realistic for an early TT Auto. If you're after a manual, then be prepaired to pay a little extra. Again, if you're after a UK car, then even more so.

As for the fueling on the TT, I would so it will also be a tad thirstier than the GT4. It is a 3ltr after all. My Supra is quite a bit thirstier than my old mr2 turbo. But then again, it depends on how you drive it.

As for the turbo/non turbo question... tbh, the n/a is still fast compared to other cars out there, but you may always crave the extra power. If you can afford the insurance and don't commute stupid miles everyday, then I would say defo go for the TT over the n/a.

If you want to be sure of getting a decent car, best advice would be to buy from a member on the MKIV supra owners club. At least that way you have a better chance that the car's been looked after buy an enthusiast.

Finally!..... If you were gonna go with the n/a I would say get a manual, if you were gonna go with the TT I would say at least consider the Auto. They have good boxes and can take quite alot of power! Plus, when you're screaming along at Supra speeds, you need two hands on the wheel!! I always said I would never have an auto unless it was a Supra. I don't regret buying the Auto one little bit. :)

Sound info . :thumbsup: you need to be a paid member to sell on the forums.. and traders require a Traders Account.. speak to the management team about this.

Edited by cfc1.

Don't go ANYWHERE near a MKIV TT that's only £4750!! It's gonna be a shed with stupid high mileage!!

Not always, i've seen a few tidy TT's for £5k with highmileage, and the 2JZ takes high mileage well. Should not prove troublesome. All depends on the actual car in question as to whether its a shed or not.

Don't go ANYWHERE near a MKIV TT that's only £4750!! It's gonna be a shed with stupid high mileage!!

Not always, i've seen a few tidy TT's for £5k with highmileage, and the 2JZ takes high mileage well. Should not prove troublesome. All depends on the actual car in question as to whether its a shed or not.

I am going to set myself a limit of 5k,for now will be happy enough with a n/a as they seem better value and more suited to my budget.Not to many supras around here so would just like a nice clean example.I am not too put of by the big kitts I think they suit some of the colours.Like the idea of the Aerotop.would like something with not too big of miles.The bronze colour has caught my eye.There isnt much over here in N.Iron so any help on the search would be great. just to flogg me 2.0 GT calica now. :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links